How to eat less sugar when you are surrounded by bakeries/cafes?

Options
2»

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    cbl40 wrote: »
    vOv I just don't even notice it anymore. After a period of time, my brain just stopped acknowledging it's presence/existence. I have to be one of the few Americans who can walk by a Cinn-a-bon and not be remotely affected by that smell wafting thing that they do. If a food isn't in my plan, it doesn't exist to me, even when I am bulking.

Just want to say how awesome that is! How did you train your brain? Any tips to share?

Basically, I just started cooking all of my own food. What this did, is made me realize how many little things I don't like about pubbie food, and since I can't control those things when others make the food, it caused me to stop wanting it altogether.

Essentially, my mild form of hyperfocused ADHD acted as an enabler for beneficial change.
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Record everything in your food log before you consume it. Consider whether or not the item fits into your plan for the day, and, if so, how much of it you'll eat or drink. Calories are like money. If you don't stick to your budget there are consequences but the occasional splurge can be worked into your plan.

Self control takes practice. You may need to stay away at first until you can moderate. If you can't moderate, you need to decide the relative importance of weight control vs. the enjoyment of indulgence.
    100% this. You are in control of what and how much you eat.

My daughter started training as a baker her freshman year of high school. She was chosen to compete for her school, State, Nationals and everything in between. That meant a LOT of practice and a LOT of amazing bread, cookies, rolls, cakes, muffins, bread. Did I say bread? To die for, my neighbors called it the "Holy Bread." During those years my kitchen always looked and smelled like a bakery. When she started this is about the time I decided to get my crap together and finally lose weight. I lost 69 lbs and maintained if for four years. DD is now a professional with a degree. I could/can have any baked confection I choose with just a request and sometimes I do, I just make it fit.

My point is that in order to succeed you need to learn to navigate around these things. You have to decide what matters more to you. There's nothing wrong with indulging in a desert now and then but you know what? That first bite tastes exactly like the last. We don't need to "eat all the things" right now. Those cookies and cakes and whatever are always going to be there, you can have them anytime you want so leave some for later. Sometimes just keeping that in mind is enough to walk away from them.
  • Mrsabror
    Mrsabror Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Imagine working at a bakery...
  • Mrsabror
    Mrsabror Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm a cake decorator.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I work in a Walmart-type store where there's plenty of that food. I only buy it if I want it and can fit it into my goals.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I would just order a hot coffee, non fat misto(cafe au lait), or iced coffee with sugar free syrup and either soy or cream(add it myself). As far as pastries go, I try not to indulge too much. Maybe a small biscotti or just make room for an extra treat in your day by eating lighter the rest of the time.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Mrsabror wrote: »
    I'm a cake decorator.

Ohhh, I know that pain! I was a full time cake decorator for awhile, too, in a family owned bakery. Cake scraps, cookies, doughnuts...the supply was endless!
    Of course, the one thing I've noticed now is that I can't eat anything from that bakery anymore, even years later, because I ate so much of it that I can't stand the thought of eating it now.
    You may eventually get tired of it, too, OP.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I have the biggest sweet tooth and love for all those foods mentioned above! So this is what I do,: I eat OMAD - one meal a day- 23 hour fast. So I consume 1500 per day at maintenance to keep at 115lbs. (I'm 5'4") So I make sure that I have a pastry or two everyday as long as it fits into my 1500 calories perday/meal. Those sweets as you have mentioned is very high in calories, so I fill up on alot of Vegetables and salad with lean protein. This allows me to have slot of remaining calories left over for the sweets that I love. Sometimes I will go and buy a few at a time from these delicious shops and freeze them. Then I eat one or two with my meal for the day ! It works out perfect and I never feel deprived!
  • emilyyoung4506721
    emilyyoung4506721 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Self control and schedule an occasional cheat day. Thats what i do so i can enjoy whatever i want an not worry about it.