Body image issues

Options
13»

Replies

• timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Oh totally. I need to stop nitpicking myself. Sometimes being on MFP or looking for health advice is triggering which is a bummer. I'm feeling better than I have in a long time, I'm healthier AND more active than I have been in a long time; shouldn't that be enough?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I will always have body image issues, but that train left the station ages ago. I'm too old and have too much loose skin and saggy bits to ever look good naked, so I have to settle on how good I feel and how I look clothed and any improvements I can make in those regards. Those are tangible and I can reach goals in those which are satisfying enough.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I appreciate where you're coming from. Unfortunately we are Our Own Worst Enemy and we're the last ones to realize the change.

I'll give you my perspective. 57 year old male 208 pounds. I lost 80 lb and then maintaining that close to a year. When I look in the mirror I still see the flabby arms and I still have a belly. I remember walking into a bathroom one time and caught my reflection in the mirror and I said what the hell is wrong with that mirror and then I realized that's the new me.

Due to the external advertising, we have a warped view of what true beauty looks like. Unfortunately it's an unattainable goal that's meant to feed our emotions so we buy something.

If anybody has time to see what I'm talking about do a Google search. One of the things I recommend is Jamie Lee Curtis did a photoshoot without makeup to show what she actually looks like.

The other one is even crazier there's a YouTube video that shows how photoshopping works. It starts off with a super hot blonde in a bikini and they go back to the original subject. It was a slice of pizza. They were able to photoshop a slice of pizza and turn it into a hot blonde.