How far do you use running shoes? 100 miles?

Options
Last time I bought running shoes, they said they were good for 100 miles. That seems far, but not really. Some people run that in a month. How often do you buy a new pair?

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I get around 350 from my Nike Pegasus.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I replace most of mine at 400 miles unless it is obvious they need to go before that. Obvious to me is foot discomfort and/or niggles that only occur when I wear that pair of shoes (I rotate 3-4 pair).

Some shoes last longer than others. For example, my cushioned Vomeros go for the full 400 miles I allow. The Pegasus tend to wear quicker (usually 350+ miles). And the Nike Zoom Fly's I just got are so new it is hard to say how long they will last. My guess is less than 300 miles. We'll see....
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    I track my shoes on Running Ahead. When they get to 500 miles, they become walking or gardening shoes. If I start having odd aches and pains before then, I'll retire then sooner. Usually around 700 or 800 miles, then end up in the trash. I rotate 4 or 5 pairs of shoes, so my shoes generally last several months.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    100 miles is really not much. I can get at least 300 running only miles out of my Mizuno wave inspires(not counting other daily wear that sometimes happens).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    My marathoner friend wore hers for 1200 miles and ended up with a knee injury, likely due to that and not enough recovery.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    300-500 miles of pure running for me. 300 is when I start to really pay attention to how I feel post-run. Some shoes need to be retired early; others hit 500 before I start getting weird aches.

I have a Garmin watch that tracks my runs, and I use their website to track distance on my shoes as well.

~Lyssa
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    300-400 is typical for training shoes, less than that for racing flats.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Minimum 500 miles. Typical 700 miles. I run over 2500 miles a year.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but how often with cardio machines? I do 6-7 miles daily on the elliptical or cybex.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    sunsweet77 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but how often with cardio machines? I do 6-7 miles daily on the elliptical or cybex.

With cardio machines, you are not putting your full weight onto the foot/shoe as you would with running. You should get a lot more miles then running. Go by how your foot feels, usually you can tell when they start to break down.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I try to do 500 miles, but will also look at wear. I have different pair for treadmill (don't get much use), roads, and technical trails. There is a pro trail runner I stalk follow on Strava who I noticed just retired her last pair of shoes with over 1,000 miles. Crazy, right?!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I land flat footed, so hardly wear out the heal cushion. Approaching 300, by then the harder wear plugs are gone and it wears super fast after that.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Last time I bought running shoes, they said they were good for 100 miles. That seems far, but not really. Some people run that in a month. How often do you buy a new pair?

Depends on the shoe, but essentially I'm looking at 500-600 miles.

Trail shoes get longer life as there is negligible cushioning to break down.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,440 Member
    Options
    I use very untypical running shoes, and they last me about 1000km.
  • CrystalEverAfter
    CrystalEverAfter Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Once my knees start to feel sore or I get shin splints I get new shoes no matter how few or many miles I have on them. To be fair, if I do a half marathon I just buy new ones. It may be an extra expense but I plan on keeping my knees for a long time
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I can get about 400 miles on a pair of shoes. I start feeling it in my knees at 350 miles.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Some running shoes break down faster then others. Hokas are known to wear out sooner. I would suggest tracking your shoes mileage and paying attention to your bodies cues. If you start to feel aches/pains that you don't normally have it's probably time for new shoes. Nikes tend to last me around 200 miles, Saucony around 275ish for me. Hokas last my hubby around 150-175 miles......
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Another question. How much do you pay for shoes. I paid about $100 for a pair of Adidas last time.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I usually pay anywhere from $90-150. Good shoes are a little pricey, but well worth the investment in protecting my body from the damage a bad shoe can do.