Macros ratios: fat

Options
Hello,
I am currently trying to lose 40 lbs while breastfeeding a new baby. I have been trying to eat more healthy fats, since my doc says omega 3s are important to breastfeeding moms. I've started including walnuts, eggs, olive oil, tuna, etc in my diet more and coming in under my calorie goal. However, since trying to eat these healthier foods I find that my fat ratio is hanging out around 40% (instead of the 30% recommended). I'm not eating a lot of greasy/fried foods and I measure out my portions of the fatty foods. Will the high fat hurt my progress as long as I stay under my calorie goal? As a pretty un-athletic, lightly active person, is there a certain macro ratio that is better for me?

If it's relevant-
Female, 5'5"
Current weight 171
Goal weight 130
Lose 1lb/week
Calorie goal 1620 + 500 for breastfeeding=2120

I am not interested in Keto or any other super low carb diet
TIA!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that we "unathletic" thrive especially well on a somewhat higher fat %.

Fact is that calories is all that matters to weight loss.

Congrats on the baby :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,993 Member
    Options
    I'm always high on my fats and low on carbs. I have my macros set to the default setting of 50C/30F/20P. It does not affect weight as long as the calories are in line.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    won't hurt your goals so long as calories are in check, isn't really an issue (assuming the fats your getting are from good sources).

• Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs using the following macros: 15% carbs / sugar; 45% protein; 40% fat (1400 calories - post menopause / not breast feeding -- your calories may be different since you are breast feeding).

Weston A Price foundation recommends 100 grams minimum carbs - so I don't know what that would look like for you.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have heard that higher fat diets in general may be beneficial to breastfeeding, but I'm not sure how solid the research is on the subject.
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The only macros ratios that hurt your progress are those that cause you to overeat. If you are eating good food for you and your baby, and are able to stay in your calorie goal...I'd call it good.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    High fat won't affect your weight loss. I lost 40 lbs with a 70-75% fat macro. ;)

Congrats on the little one.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,322 Member
    Options
    Higher fat is fine. Get enough protein. (I personally like 0.6-0.8g per pound of healthy goal weight daily, but some recommend more & some less.) Carbs can be anywhere, IMO. Calories are what rule for weight loss.

Give that little one an extra snuggle for me, please? :smile:
  • alyssanavetta
    alyssanavetta Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue! Breastfeeding mama too! My fats sometimes make me bust my calorie goal though- I have to be careful! Similar starting weight and goal as well. I started at 184, now I am down to 173. My goal is 145-150. I am 5'8.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am always super high on fat. I also do not eat fast food or greasy foods.
    I do have quite a bit of nuts, almond milk (for my breakfast smoothie) and EVOO with my veggies. All that combined puts my fat at around 40%. Ive been successful so far!
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Higher fat is fine. Get enough protein. (I personally like 0.6-0.8g per pound of healthy goal weight daily, but some recommend more & some less.) Carbs can be anywhere, IMO. Calories are what rule for weight loss.

Give that little one an extra snuggle for me, please? :smile:

+1 exactly what I was thinking