How to drink water?

Options
Basically I can't stand drinking water :(
I don't like the taste and even if I have a tiny amount I feel sick. I've tried both bottled and tap water but I cannot drink it. I know that if I start drinking water it will help hugely with weight loss but I just cant stand it.
Do you have any advice on how to drink more water? I've tried drinking weak squash but I added in more squash (oops). I know its probably my mind stopping me but I can't seem to overcome it unfortunately :s

Thanks!! :smile:

Replies

• ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    drink whatever you want. If it has calories log them. I add zero calorie flavor drops to my water cause i get bored. All fluids count towards your water including things like soups and fruit and veggies. You dont have to torture yourself with plain water if you dont want to.
  • tgcakef
    tgcakef Posts: 111 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    To be honest, it's probably not your mind. Water can just taste awful depending on where you live. I flat out couldn't drink any in some of the places I've visited. Even where I live now, water in spring is just ick. And since a good percentage of bottled water is municipal water, it probably has the same taste (if you're in the US).

Have you tried "drink enhancer" drops? They come in various flavours, and brands. I buy the Great Value ones at Wal-mart. I'm sure you can get them online as well.

How about tea? You could have iced or hot tea, decaffeinated if caffeine is a problem for you.

Also, have you tried a filter? I have a Brita pitcher that works well for spring water. Keeping it cold also helps a lot.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Like pp said-water taste can vary greatly based on where it's coming from. We just moved and went from city water to well water-wow, yuck lol. I only use our water now for coffee, because I can't taste it, otherwise I drink bottled spring water or diet soda.

Try flavored waters or just drink coffee/teas/milks etc.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I couldn't stand water, but found I liked soda water so got a 'soda stream'and now drink 3L a day. (They have flavour drops too)
    My sister had hard water so got a filter system put in the house. My other sister will only drink it warm after boiling.

As said above, it doesn't have to be water, just keep hydrated, and account for the calories.

Cheers, h.
  • shaleiric
    shaleiric Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I tend to drink pop (mainly coke) so I need to get out of the habit, I'm fussy with what I eat and only like a handful of fruit/veg so that's why I feel I need to drink water in order to be healthier..
    I'll definitely look into an infuser and those water enhancer drops.

Thanks! :)
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, a lot of bottled waters are just re-packaged tap/municipal water. Have you tried water that has been filtered by a decent filtering system (like a solid carbon filter)? I do this to my water and it makes it a lot easier to drink (our municipal is very heavily chlorinated).
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I like Smart Water, it is distilled water with electrolytes added
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I bought a little infuser lid that fits over standard mason jars. Also have half a dozen small mason jars that are perfect drinking glass size, throw in some fresh fruit and away I go. Strawberries are my favourite, had a bit of luck with orange though too. I read somewhere that if you're going to use citrus-y fruits to peel the skin off. Affects taste I guess.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    OP, consider getting a filtering device that can remove pollutants from your tap water. I don't travel much, and do live within the service area of the best-tasting water in the U.S. (Dallas), so the water here and the beers brewed from Dallas tap are really good. The zero-calorie flavorings can help. It could help to brew it into coffee, tea, or even kombucha. You might flavor it with bullion occasionally. In any case, you've certainly found a way to be hydrated for your whole life so just keep experimenting for taste and pleasure.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    How can you not like water? It's tasteless, colorless and odorless. I don't get it.

Where do you live that water has no taste or odor? The city water where I live smells and tastes like weak swimming pool water. The well water in another part of the city tastes fine, but smells sulfurous when it's been sitting. It's routinely tested for safety and always passes.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    How can you not like water? It's tasteless, colorless and odorless. I don't get it.

Louisiana water tastes and smells like sewage.
    Texas water tastes and smells like bleach.

But bottled water is usually fine.
  • girlgeeklula
    girlgeeklula Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time drinking urban tap water (I grew up on rural well water), so taste is something I'm sensitive to. I usually either buy pre-flavored water (frut from Aldi's is pretty good), buy flavor packets, or it all gets run through a filtered pitcher kept in the fridge.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Options
    OP - do you like lemonade? I love the True Lemon packets. Not overly sweet. Just the right amount of tartness.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I lived in NO, LA and the water was scary. I drank bottled water for those 5 years. Walmart gallon. I have a feeling OP has never really tried bottled water.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Options

I lived in NO, LA and the water was scary. I drank bottled water for those 5 years. Walmart gallon. I have a feeling OP has never really tried bottled water.

Yep. After living in New Orleans and Baton Rouge, I don't think I'll ever drink tap water again.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Coke Zero.

You're welcome. :p
  • xandra47
    xandra47 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I got spoiled on well water, now it's all I drink. OP, I grew up on Coke then became a mountain dew addict and NEVER drank water for years. It took a lot of discipline, but I gave up the sodas entirely and now just drink black coffee, water, and the occasional beer. If I can do it, there's hope for everyone! :)
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I love water but lately instead of having a couple beers with dinner, I bought a soda stream (someone else up thread said they have one, too) and freakin love it. I don't add flavoring, just plain sparkling water, but you can add whatever flavoring you want.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    xandra47 wrote: »
    I got spoiled on well water, now it's all I drink. OP, I grew up on Coke then became a mountain dew addict and NEVER drank water for years. It took a lot of discipline, but I gave up the sodas entirely and now just drink black coffee, water, and the occasional beer. If I can do it, there's hope for everyone! :)

i'm in the same boat, i used to never drink water, then i only drank water in the gym, now i refill my bottle 2-3 times per day while at work and though it's not a ton of volume it's totally sufficient for keeping me well hydrated. it was just about habit forming, and it helps that the quality of tap water here isn't bad at all. at home i prefer wine, or coke zero, diet gingerale, etc.