Running before and after weight loss

2»

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited August 2017
    Huge difference for me! I started running 10 months ago and have lost 40 pounds. I don't ache any more (other than I do get a weird shoulder cramp). I also recover super fast after a run. Like the next day I do not have any soreness at all and I don't get out of breath like I used to.

Are you tightening up during your run or are you perhaps carrying your arms too high? Try to stay loose throughout your run. Shake yourself out every now and then mid-run. It will help you to be aware of where you're carrying tension and/or give you a chance to 'reset' your posture.
  • RichJBenham
    RichJBenham Posts: 30 Member
    Personally, speed and quickness of recovery. I do parkruns virtually every Saturday, and after dropping 2 stone between Christmas and now, my times & performance have shot up, also not feeling the need to throw up afterwards is a bonus
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Well as of late I have been out of commission due to over training injury on my inside right knee. So annoying! But at least I can do my 5x5s and intervals on the elliptical.

My knee is where I feel it if my shoes are worn. I have been running in Hoka one one constant 2. They have a lot of cushion and I have worked hard on minimizing my impact or strike. Even so I log my miles and as soon as I hit 325 ~ 350 miles I retire them. Runtastic app tracks my shoe miles for me. Because of my love of craft beer & wine I need to run 25 + miles a week to lose weight. The bad part is if I run less than 10 miles a week I gain.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    The rule of thumb is that for the same amount of effort, you can go 2 sec faster per mile for each pound of weight lost. I remember way back at 245 lbs I was only doing an average of 15 min mile run/walk. Now I just did 720 pace for the 5k portion of a triathlon and 900 pace for a half marathon. That's after years of running and weight loss (at 160 now).
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,669 Member
    DietPrada wrote: »
    I'm 15lbs from goal. Lost 100lbs. But I'm still a G cup. I have never been nor will I ever be a runner.

Don't blame your boobs. Blame your bra. I've worn an Enell all the way from 44G to 36DD. I've been running comfortably the whole time. Life changing.