Do you take supplements? And what would you recommend?

Options
I've been lifting for a few months (total newbie!) and my hubby (who has been lifting for years) keeps suggesting supplements to me. I know the word "supplements" encompasses a lot. I take a multivitamin and I have protein powder that I mostly use it for cooking since I don't usually have a problem getting enough protein in my normal diet. Do any of you take any other supplements and/or do you recommend any? My hubby keeps suggesting a pre-workout and creatine. I don't think I need anything but maybe I'm really missing out. What do you think?

Replies

• deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    creatine (for lifts), vitamin d (for deficiency), magnesium (for doms and sleep), curcumin (for inflammation)

I tried BCAAs; did not see a difference in performance.
  • cajunlass
    cajunlass Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I take a supplement that contains green tea and green coffee bean extracts. I do it for energy as I have to get up at 4am for work.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Creatine brings a lot to the table
    So do Citrulline and Beta Alanine.

That being said... go to Examine.com to check for contraindications and possible benefits.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I really like a preigniter to get my energy going. I usually have a whey protein after my workout and then take BCAA (Branch Chain amino Acids) for muscle recovery. I am also going to start taking Casein protein before bed. I don't think supplements are necessary..but if you can take them, I think they might aide in strength, gains and recovery.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the last people to suggest or take any supplements, but even I take creatine.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I take creatine (helps prevent blood sugars spikes- I'm diabetic), vitamin b complex, curcumin ( hoping it will help w/inflammation) and calicium-magnesium.

Don't take pre-workout, it's mostly garbage and you'll end up feeling like you need it to have energy during workouts. Sufficient sleep and organic coffee is simpler.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I take some vitamins (a prenatal, DHA and vitamin D), and protein, but otherwise nothing. I don't think taking anything else would have made a difference in my progress
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Creatine, Glutamine, CLA, a multi V and amino energy (BCAAs)
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Vit D because I tested way low
    Multi-vit
    Baby asprin (Dr recommended this)
    Fish oil
    That's about it right at the moment.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    B complex plus SAMe
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I only sometimes use Whey, but that is mainly for cooking.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I take D3, omega 3 oil(either fish or flax), 1/2 whole foods shake(lots of vitamins) with 1/2 PEScience protein, turmeric, magnesium, DIM complex, hair skin and nails, probiotic, and ToCoQ10(not sure this is doing anything), sometimes extra vitamin c and iron.
  • TrinityR05
    TrinityR05 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I take a multi, salmon oil, vitamin d, garlic
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Currently using whey protein, multivitamin, fish oil, and BCAAs.
    My multi has a ton of vit D in it so I don't take that separately.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Whey, D3, B12, Fish Oil, Creatine, Multivitamin...

I drank a half-gallon of D fortified milk a day and took everything above minus the D3 and still tested low on D in my blood work. I'm 47 now and apparently as we get older our bodies have a much harder time absorbing D. I got back up to normal levels with prescription D for a month and now maintain healthy levels with 2000 iu D3 a day.
  • carterbrent
    carterbrent Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    CLA, Vitamin D, Fish Oil, CO Q10, Magnesium, Vitamin c, Calcium A Good Multivitamin with iron.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Creatine
    Magnesium
    Potassium
    Multi-vitamin
    Flaxseed Oil
    B-complex
    Whey
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    creatine
    bcaas
    a mutlivitamin
    vitamin d (5,000 iu)
    b complex
    and if needed (like that TOM) spatone iron rich water
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    multivitamins every so often (though much research has shown these are probably unnecessary).

Please provide some evidence for this.