Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Do you take supplements? And what would you recommend?

I've been lifting for a few months (total newbie!) and my hubby (who has been lifting for years) keeps suggesting supplements to me. I know the word "supplements" encompasses a lot. I take a multivitamin and I have protein powder that I mostly use it for cooking since I don't usually have a problem getting enough protein in my normal diet. Do any of you take any other supplements and/or do you recommend any? My hubby keeps suggesting a pre-workout and creatine. I don't think I need anything but maybe I'm really missing out. What do you think?

Replies

• deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    creatine (for lifts), vitamin d (for deficiency), magnesium (for doms and sleep), curcumin (for inflammation)

I tried BCAAs; did not see a difference in performance.
  • cajunlass
    cajunlass Posts: 2 Member
    I take a supplement that contains green tea and green coffee bean extracts. I do it for energy as I have to get up at 4am for work.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    Creatine brings a lot to the table
    So do Citrulline and Beta Alanine.

That being said... go to Examine.com to check for contraindications and possible benefits.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    I really like a preigniter to get my energy going. I usually have a whey protein after my workout and then take BCAA (Branch Chain amino Acids) for muscle recovery. I am also going to start taking Casein protein before bed. I don't think supplements are necessary..but if you can take them, I think they might aide in strength, gains and recovery.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I'm one of the last people to suggest or take any supplements, but even I take creatine.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    I take creatine (helps prevent blood sugars spikes- I'm diabetic), vitamin b complex, curcumin ( hoping it will help w/inflammation) and calicium-magnesium.

Don't take pre-workout, it's mostly garbage and you'll end up feeling like you need it to have energy during workouts. Sufficient sleep and organic coffee is simpler.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I take some vitamins (a prenatal, DHA and vitamin D), and protein, but otherwise nothing. I don't think taking anything else would have made a difference in my progress
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Creatine, Glutamine, CLA, a multi V and amino energy (BCAAs)
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Vit D because I tested way low
    Multi-vit
    Baby asprin (Dr recommended this)
    Fish oil
    That's about it right at the moment.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    B complex plus SAMe
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    I only sometimes use Whey, but that is mainly for cooking.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    I take D3, omega 3 oil(either fish or flax), 1/2 whole foods shake(lots of vitamins) with 1/2 PEScience protein, turmeric, magnesium, DIM complex, hair skin and nails, probiotic, and ToCoQ10(not sure this is doing anything), sometimes extra vitamin c and iron.
  • TrinityR05
    TrinityR05 Posts: 77 Member
    I take a multi, salmon oil, vitamin d, garlic
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Currently using whey protein, multivitamin, fish oil, and BCAAs.
    My multi has a ton of vit D in it so I don't take that separately.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    edited August 2017
    Whey, D3, B12, Fish Oil, Creatine, Multivitamin...

I drank a half-gallon of D fortified milk a day and took everything above minus the D3 and still tested low on D in my blood work. I'm 47 now and apparently as we get older our bodies have a much harder time absorbing D. I got back up to normal levels with prescription D for a month and now maintain healthy levels with 2000 iu D3 a day.
  • carterbrent
    carterbrent Posts: 91 Member
    CLA, Vitamin D, Fish Oil, CO Q10, Magnesium, Vitamin c, Calcium A Good Multivitamin with iron.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Creatine
    Magnesium
    Potassium
    Multi-vitamin
    Flaxseed Oil
    B-complex
    Whey
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    creatine
    bcaas
    a mutlivitamin
    vitamin d (5,000 iu)
    b complex
    and if needed (like that TOM) spatone iron rich water
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    multivitamins every so often (though much research has shown these are probably unnecessary).

Please provide some evidence for this.