5/8-3.1
    6/8-7.7
    7/8-REST
    8/8-4.3
    9/8-3.7

Total - 33.3/120 Miles.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    I'm new to the forum and to running (started in March this year at the age of 50). I've done a few parkruns (5k) and x2 10k's both a mix of run/walk. My aim is to try and get to run 5k without walking or at least not as much.

For the August challenge I'm going to aim for a low 50km (31miles). I'm using the c210k app.
    6 Aug 3.15 km (1.95m)
    9 Aug 3.71 km (2.30m)

Welcome!
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    9 miles with 10x1minute with 2 minute recovery. Almost ran out of road to do intervals. I wanted to finish my 9 mile run with the intervals near the end but I had to run the last interval up a steep hill. I did manage a half mile cool down without going over my 9 miles. One more foundation run of 9 miles then my long run of 18 Saturday. PR for miles this week easy.

exercise.png

I will upload a great mountain view from my run if I can.
  • PastorVincent
    So my trusty New Balance 880v7s have 485 tracked miles on them, which means they have to be well past 500 since I do not track cool does or anything else.

I guess that means I need to start considering new shoes soon. Looks like they still sell the 880s for $125, but I read somewhere that you should change brands of running shoe each time you replace them because each requires you use your foot muscles slightly different and switching up prevents weaknesses from developing.

Any truth to that?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    So my trusty New Balance 880v7s have 485 tracked miles on them, which means they have to be well past 500 since I do not track cool does or anything else.

I guess that means I need to start considering new shoes soon. Looks like they still sell the 880s for $125, but I read somewhere that you should change brands of running shoe each time you replace them because each requires you use your foot muscles slightly different and switching up prevents weaknesses from developing.

Any truth to that?

I don't know about that per se, but that's the reason all the shoes in my rotation are different, with the exception of my 2 pairs of ultra Superior 3.0's. Having a range of different drops and cushion levels is good for your feet.... I do tent to replace each pair with the same shoe, but that's because I already have a bunch in the rotation.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    @hanlonsk oh no! Here's hoping to good MRI results and a speedy recovery process. Loved the PT story though!

@PastorVincent I have also heard that it's good to have different brands/drops/cushion levels in your active rotation. And honestly, I keep meaning to do that. But I still only have my Brooks Glycerins for road and my Altra Lone Peaks for trail. Gotta make time to get to the running store.

@Dcorrick ugh, BT headphones. I'm still not convinced they're worth it at this point. I've been through two pairs so far, where the battery just ended up going kaput and stopped holding a charge, after about a month. I have a new pair, in a different brand, currently still sitting at home in their box. One of these days I'll break them out, charge them up, and give them a chance, lol.

@cburke8909 beautiful pic! And nice interval run! I did a 9(.5) mile interval run too, lol, it was just last night, and was only two, long intervals.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    @hanlonsk - love your PT story and am hoping the fashionable 'boot' wrap is only temporary and that the MRI shows nothing important! Hang in there and you can definitely hang out with us for as long as it takes! Just ask @Elise4270 - she hung out with us all through her hip surgery and recovery and we still let her participate now :)

Yup! I don't think they had much of a choice though. :smiley:

I do love your story! Definitely hang out here! It really helped me not give up.
  • PastorVincent
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    8/1 8miles 1hr:16m:25s
    8/2 6miles 60m:39s
    8/3 5miles 46m:32s
    8/4 rest
    8/5 12miles 1hr:57m:36s
    8/6 rest
    8/7 6miles 57m:25s
    8/8 5miles 49m:20s
    8/9 rest
    8/10 13.1miles!!!! 2hr:04m:17s

I did it! Another half marathon. It wasn't a race, just against myself and my last half marathon distance back in June. I headed out by 5:15am and it was a cool and comfortable 70 degrees. Dark. I've decided I really don't like running in the dark, but since I was running around my neighborhood it was very quiet and no traffic. Around 2-3 miles I was feeling like 13 miles was going to be impossible, but I just kept telling myself to take it one mile at a time. And just like that I did it. I swung by the water stop on the golf course once to refill my water bottle, which was still mostly full, but mentally I think it really eases my mind to know that I won't run out.

I ran it this morning 2:32 faster than last time. I didn't have my garmin forerunner last time and used runkeeper. I'm noticing that garmin is a .3 miles off from runkeeper - meaning if I go by runkeeper I ran it even faster. Alas, I am going by my Garmin since I hoping my $350 running watch is more accurate. :smile:

Even better is that I feel great right now. Last time I was a wreck. My husband had to help me into the house and I could barely even crawl into the shower. My stomach was so messed up and I was afraid I was going to puke. There is none of that this time! I feel like I've made a lot of progress in 9 weeks!

WEll done! You are definitely getting more fit and better conditioned!

.3 miles can easily vary over 13 miles based on how tight you took turns, how many obstacles you dodged, and so on. So do not worry about that variation. :)
  • Elise4270
    Orphia wrote: »
    I added the measurement image to the spreadsheet.

Here's the link again:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fkoCt23jGMmLaiaj03G5NOo0BbJEaGLwPNDeROJTNVs/edit#gid=0

I'm madly busy getting ready for a weekend away or I'd succumb to my OCD and enter the cm/in conversions for everyone that hasn't done it that's been bugging me. :smiley:

One of us was bound to do it!
  • Elise4270
    zdyb23456 wrote: »

I did it! Another half marathon. It wasn't a race, just against myself and my last half marathon distance back in June. I headed out by 5:15am and it was a cool and comfortable 70 degrees. Dark. I've decided I really don't like running in the dark, but since I was running around my neighborhood it was very quiet and no traffic. Around 2-3 miles I was feeling like 13 miles was going to be impossible, but I just kept telling myself to take it one mile at a time. And just like that I did it. I swung by the water stop on the golf course once to refill my water bottle, which was still mostly full, but mentally I think it really eases my mind to know that I won't run out.

I ran it this morning 2:32 faster than last time. I didn't have my garmin forerunner last time and used runkeeper. I'm noticing that garmin is a .3 miles off from runkeeper - meaning if I go by runkeeper I ran it even faster. Alas, I am going by my Garmin since I hoping my $350 running watch is more accurate. :smile:

Even better is that I feel great right now. Last time I was a wreck. My husband had to help me into the house and I could barely even crawl into the shower. My stomach was so messed up and I was afraid I was going to puke. There is none of that this time! I feel like I've made a lot of progress in 9 weeks!

I'll say you have!!!!! I can't say I'd ever run again if my stomach was that tore up or I had to crawl!
  • PastorVincent
    @PastorVincent I have also heard that it's good to have different brands/drops/cushion levels in your active rotation. And honestly, I keep meaning to do that. But I still only have my Brooks Glycerins for road and my Altra Lone Peaks for trail. Gotta make time to get to the running store.

Was thinking of trying the Glycerins 15s - but I have a coupon for 50% of New Balance, so probably just reorder the 880v7s this time and consider them in another 500 miles :)

Still, hate to gimp myself if I can avoid it.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member

Was thinking of trying the Glycerins 15s - but I have a coupon for 50% of New Balance, so probably just reorder the 880v7s this time and consider them in another 500 miles :)

Still, hate to gimp myself if I can avoid it.

I've been hooked on the Glycerins ever since I first started running, and got fitted in them at a running store. I'm hearing the 15s have been changed and I'm really nervous about when I have to order my new pair! It's really hard for me to find shoes that don't cause foot numbness, so I hate the thought of having to start the search over from scratch. Fingers crossed they still work ok for me when I try them