Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

August 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Just checking in to say hello to all you fabulous runners!!! I miss you guys... Hope you're all doing well! :smiley:

We miss you too!
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    1/8-REST
    2/8-5.3
    3/8-3.6
    4/8-5.6
    5/8-3.1
    6/8-7.7
    7/8-REST
    8/8-4.3
    9/8-3.7
    10/8-REST
    11/8-8.6

Total - 41.9/120 Miles.

Today was my longest run to date!

Congrats on the long run!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    5512bf wrote: »
    5512bf wrote: »
    There's currently a 70 oz reservoir with 60 oz of Tailwind, a UD body bottle with 16 oz of tailwind and a body bottle with 16oz of nuun in my fridge currently. I have 6 gels and a package of gummy worms in my vest.... starting to feel ready for tomorrow.

You know I'm not the kinda of guy who will always tell you want you want to hear, but what you probably need to hear. Be careful with the 100k thing. I've got several friends who do them, and they are brutal with a large percentage of DNF's. Most would not pick a 100k event until they have a very solid track record of completing marathons or 50k events successfully. I know you've done a couple marathons but have not successfully navigated through them for "good" experiences. This planned run is probably 10-12 miles further then what you have been able to get through without issues. There is no shame in cutting this short and living to run another day.

Tomorrow is 47k....... 100k is in October.... Local 100 mile runners talked me into going for the 100k...they know my running and said it's more than doable.... so I decided to go for it.... success for me on trail is always just a finish.... but really, I'd rather run a horrible race that's probably outside my ability, than run I know I can do... foe me there's no fun in that... same reason I run the Superior trail, it's for the challenge and difficulty,... .... just who I am... same reason I work with children with severe mental and behavioral disorders....

There is nothing wrong with pushing yourself, just sometimes it takes more time than what you are allowing to get to the point to successfully be able to navigate such a race.

Also you might consider more calories for the run. My buddies generally do 200-240 calories an hour, and you're probably looking at 8ish hours plus on the trail. They also mix in some more solid foods like Clifbars & trail mixes with nuts, etc.

Forgot to mention, we have an aid statio n set up at thr half way to refill.... what I listed was just first half.... and gonna load more..... and I forgot my honey stinger waffles...and...ooohh... forgot my cliff bars and jerky........ I'm gonna be a walking buffet tonorrow. typing and packing isn't the best way to do things...... I know.... I'm going at a hugely rapid pace in my hoping things.... Just who I am. I'd rather have a race go bad because I pushed too hard too soon than wonder what if..... which is why I always tell new runners to not follow my example...lol
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Still a bit sick, but getting better. Not enough energy for running yet. But maybe a walk today or tomorrow.

Sigh. May have to adjust my goal based on all the runs I'm missing.

Have a great weekend, all.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    @MNLittleFinn I thought your next big race was a 50 miler.

Things have obviously changed.

I have no idea of your training plan or capability (actually, I suspect your capability is just fine) BUT - it's August and you are looking at 47k. So there's 8 weeks ish to double your distance. Most marathon plans are longer than that, even if you HAVE done a few halfs on the way there.
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited August 2017
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn I thought your next big race was a 50 miler.

Things have obviously changed.

I have no idea of your training plan or capability (actually, I suspect your capability is just fine) BUT - it's August and you are looking at 47k. So there's 8 weeks ish to double your distance. Most marathon plans are longer than that, even if you HAVE done a few halfs on the way there.

I'm on week 6 of training actually, of a 16 week training cycle. Most 100k training plans actually don't have a ~30 mile run this far this early (10 weeks out), so I'm actually ahead of the game in that respect....I actually do know what I'm doing and wish people would respect that. I didn't ask for advice. which is why I also don't dole out unsolicited advice.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    For those of you who run in the morning: do you have a snack before you go out there?

I have much lower mileage than you, so my experience is probably entirely irrelevant. But on the off chance...

If I've eaten at maintenance the day before, and don't wake up hungry, I run fasted. Otherwise, I have a Costco nut bar (Kind Bar equivalent). My stomach is not very picky, though, and I rarely have running related GI issues regardless of what I eat or when.

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    @MNLittleFinn are you being extra defensive?

Just a thought.....

You do what you plan to do. We're just armchair commentators. Trying to help you not burn out.
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited August 2017

Just a thought.....

You do what you plan to do. We're just armchair commentators. Trying to help you not burn out.

More than likely

All I feel like I'm getting is "be careful" I pretty much already know that...I know folks want to help, it just starts to feel like a burn rather than help when that's pretty much all I hear..... makes it harder to see honest advice after a while.

Probably gonna sign off except for mileage updates, for a few days to get my head back in the game better.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,881 Member
    @Runningmischka - oh my goodness-- just saw the picture of your daughter on your post! I remember when you were pregnant! I didn't actually read your post, only saw your profile pic. She is adorable!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    I was AFK for few days, and so here I am- reading over 200 absolutely wonderful posts, clicking "Like" and "Awesome" left and right. This group of people never fails to amaze me :smile:

My report card
    Goal: 120
    Currently: 49
    8/1 - 6 miles
    8/2 - 0, strength training
    8/3 - 8 miles
    8/4 - 0, rest day
    8/5 - 7 miles
    8/6 - 6 miles
    8/7 - 6 miles
    8/8 - 7 miles
    8/9 - strength training, Body Pump
    8/10 - 0 miles, rest day (although busy day at work)
    8/11 - 9 miles. My first 9-miler in a long run, it felt terrific. I could have kept going longer, but my empty stomach reminded me of its existence around mile 7.

For those of you who run in the morning: do you have a snack before you go out there? I know it's probably a matter of preference, but I am interested in what other runners do to keep their bellies from throwing a *kitten*-fest at ya mid run.

I've never been a breakfast eater so I never eat before running. I sip some black coffee for a bit of caffeine. I do eat a snack before going to bed regularly.

For long runs (up to 13 miles cause that's the most I've ever done) I've discovered I don't even need fuel - I sip low calorie Gatorade mixed with water cause I'm not that fond of straight Gatorade.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2017

Just a thought.....

More than likely

All I feel like I'm getting is "be careful" I pretty much already know that...I know folks want to help, it just starts to feel like a burn rather than help when that's pretty much all I hear..... makes it harder to see honest advice after a while.

Probably gonna sign off except for mileage updates, for a few days to get my head back in the game better.

I haven't followed your post lately, been a bit self absorbed.... But you have proven that you are not average. If it's about balancing rest and chasing miles (assuming from a recent post-didnt dig back too far), you definitely need to be pushing some limits. You'll know when you need to reign it in.

Give it hell young man!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @katiejane83 I remember when that happened. I’ll have to get the book, the story is just precious.
  • JimCrackinDandy
    JimCrackinDandy Posts: 146 Member
    For all those siged up for races this weekend.... Run Strong!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member

You are rocking it, and one of the people whose posts I watch for good information. The others just care about you, so smile and bask in their caring and your own understanding that you got this. :)
  • MNLittleFinn

You are rocking it, and one of the people whose posts I watch for good information. The others just care about you, so smile and bask in their caring and your own understanding that you got this. :)

Told myself I was taking time away... I lied.... thanks. I know they be caring.... my personality just doesn't go for that.... I'm weird like that.... so so weird.... and psyched for tomorrow. I have a pork burrito packed and ready to go now.