August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent that was some challenge. Glad you were able to find your way. Better luck at the next race.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    So for my rest day I got to spend hours with my a flat tire on my truck, side wall blew out. No two ways about it, have to change it.

Okay pull in to a parking lot, and start to get out the jack and etc - but the owner of the parking lot came out saying this was their "prime time" and I was taking up valuable space. *sigh* drive the truck a little farther on the flat, now at a place where getting at the tire is much harder, but at least the owner goes away.

Set the parking brake and get out the spare. It is, of course, flat and of course, the pump I carry in my truck is broken. But the spare is less flat than the tire on the truck, so I decided to try it. Next, I get out the lug wrench and attempt to get the lug nuts loose. The will not budge. Great.

Just then a fellow pastor pulls up and asks if I need help. I brief him and he takes the spare tire and heads off to get it filled with air and comes back with a bigger wrench.

Lug nuts still will not budge. Call the tire place that put them on and they offer to let us borrow an even bigger wrench. Pastor buddy goes and gets it, comes back with a wrench that is about FIVE FEET long. That is finally enough leverage that can break the nuts free - still was a struggle, but we got them off.

Okay lift the truck the rest of the way... but wait! there is more! The stupid scissor jack can not get the truck up high enough to get the tire off. Pastor buddy gets the jack out of his car and we use it to compress the shock and get the few more inches we need. So we get the spare on... and then lower the truck on it... and it s low on air, again. Of course. And it is starting to rain.

BUT the spare has SOME air, and it is only a mile to the tire place, so I throw everything into the truck and head to the tire store. I sit and wait while they fix the spare tire and take the main tire back into the shop. It is, of course, unfixable so they will have to replace the original tire, which of course is not in stock. Thankfully I have road hazard insurance on the tires so it is covered, but ugh. Sometime next week I will get the tire, until then I am on the patched spare.

If I put this in a book, y'all would tell me that it was too many coincidences in a row and unrealistic. heh. Shows what you know. :tongue:

Ughhh, that sucks! The most inconvenient flat I ever had was when I got home from vacation. Had been out and about all day in SF on Saturday, and took a red eye home to NY Saturday night. I CANNOT sleep on planes so I finally land at Newark, catch the shuttle to the off-site lot where my car was, get in my car around 8am Sunday on zero sleep, start driving and realize my tire is pancake flat with a nail in it. I didn't even contemplate trying to change it myself at that point, I was so tired I would have dropped the car on myself, lol. Called Geico roadside, and by some kind of miracle their estimated one hour wait ended up being 15 min, cause the guy was literally down the street from where I was. Then I just spent an enjoyable almost hour drive nursing my spare tire home on the Garden State Parkway, lol
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    OH! Forgot to mention the good highlight...

I won a MilestonePod in the raffle. Started looking at it. It does not seem to sync with ANYTHING, just its own app. Might goof around with it some just to see what the hype is all about.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @pastorvincent WTH what a disaster of a race. Glad it all worked out but honestly here's a map find your way for 15K. Just insane.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @respectthekitty hang in there - hugs
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent - Wow, what an organizational disaster. He!! to live through, but you'll have great stories forever. No, I wouldn't repeat that one either; but I suppose it beats having a hard to change flat tire.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @PastorVincent wow! That must have been one helluva race. I did a half where they ran out of water at the final water-stop and at another half, one of the marshals was standing in the wrong spot so everyone ended up with a a new PR because the course was shorter by a quarter of a mile, but your race has to be one of the worst organizational eff ups I've ever read about. Kudos to you and your wife for finishing it. But yeah, you've definitely got a story that will get plenty of retellings.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    This video has me in awe. I can't imagine how it must feel to move that fast and gracefully

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/08/11/emma-coburn-steeplechase-world-championship-video
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp thanks for your reply. That rack is awesome, I might put it on my birthday/Christmas wish so other people can get it for me. Lots of good info about becoming a pacer, so thanks for that too! It is something I was always wondering about and thinking I could do it, half-marathon pacing for sure. Few days ago I got certified in CPR, so now I would feel a lot more comfortable "leading a pack" to the finish line. For now, becoming a pacer is going on my bucket list :smiley:

• dudasd1973
    dudasd1973 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent seems like missing it was a good call... Lol

I guess they should have done what I thought they would do and just done an out and back on the trail heading towards Millvale. That would have cut down on the confusion.

Overall, maybe the $10 I donated will help
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    This video has me in awe. I can't imagine how it must feel to move that fast and gracefully

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/08/11/emma-coburn-steeplechase-world-championship-video

@amymoreorless I follow Emma, she is amazing.
    @mobycarp great job on the race - sorry you aren't feeling 100%
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    More biking tomorrow unless it rains... then a run!

8/1 - 4.1
    8/2 - 5.00
    8/3 - 5.00
    8/4 - rest day
    8/5 - 44 miles biking
    8/6 - 28 miles biking
    8/7 - 5 miles
    8/8 - 5 miles
    8/9 - 5 miles
    8/10 - rest day
    8/11 - 5 miles
    8/12 - 53 miles biking

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    dudasd1973 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent seems like missing it was a good call... Lol

I guess they should have done what I thought they would do and just done an out and back on the trail heading towards Millvale. That would have cut down on the confusion.

Overall, maybe the $10 I donated will help

I do not know that we were on the actual trail that much unless it has traffic lights and cars on it! :lol: