August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    In today's status, I forgot to mention HR zones. Average HR during the Bergen 5K was 152, max HR was 164. By the 80-20 zone system, with my LT HR estimate at 157 (high end of possible values), my HR for the Bergen 5K was: Zone 1, 0:14 (1%); Zone 2, 1:18 (6%); Zone X 5:08 (25%); Zone 3, 6:28 (32%); Zone 4/Y/5, 6:19 (31%). Doctrine on a 5K is that it should be run faster than Lactic Threshold, which would mean Zone 4 or above.

Obviously, I wasn't running easy at any time during the race. The HR chart shows a typical flat race HR pattern, ramping up quickly then gradually increasing to the end with minor fluctuations. I'm coming to the conclusion that training by time in 80-20 HR zones won't be useful to me, particularly for the training that calls for Zone 3 and above. It just takes too long to work through the lower zones on the way to the higher zones. I don't think changing my LT HR estimate from 157 to, say 151 or 153 will change that picture; it will just shift the zones that take too long to get through to lower numbers.

Still, it's been interesting watching the 80-20 zones on runs that are supposed to be easy. It gives me some feel for working "hard easy" as opposed to "medium easy" or "ridiculously easy." It remains to be seen whether I can use that insight to improve my marathon experience.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Then they did the team awards. GVH Men placed 4th. GVH Women A team was 1st, GVH Women B team was 2nd. There were no age group team awards, an organizational change I hadn't been aware of. If I had known that, I would have taken the DNS in favor of a long slow run this morning. Oh, well. Done is done.

Got a clarification from the race organizers as a response to my FB post mentioning no team competition:

"There was master team competitions however only gvh 60+ team submitted a masters team but you guys ended up INC. Gvh wanted to throw a masters 40+ team together but were lacking on open runners so they decided to use there 40s for there open team. Great job today thanks for coming out"

I thought it was nice of them to get back to me with that. I feel better about actually running the race now; I did what I needed to do to support the team, and not having 3 team members finish wasn't my fault.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,988 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    August Goal: 60 miles

8/1: 4 miles
    8/2: 3.1 miles
    8/3: 2.2 miles
    8/5: kr30dc day 1
    8/6: 5.4 miles; kr30dc day 2
    8/7: 3.1 miles; kr30dc day 3
    8/8: 2.7 miles; kr30dc day 4
    8/9: 3.1 miles; kr30dc day 5
    8/10: kr30dc day 6
    8/11: kr30dc day 7
    8/12: kr30dc day 8

23.6/60 miles completed

No run today. Saturday is usually my rest day from both running and yoga. But i did do the kr30dc. I tried to take the dogs for a walk this evening but we only got about half a mile and it started pouring down rain. I might have continued, but my dogs hate being in the rain and I didn't really want to deal with stinky, wet dogs.

I've been feeling kind of guilty lately because I haven't been taking them to the park like I used to. I started on mfp almost 2 years ago trying to lose weight. And I started out by walking my son's dog after he left for college. When I reached my goal I started doing c25k. The dogs don't really like to run so I stopped taking them on my run days. Now I am running 4 days a week instead of 3. I was still taking them on my non run days, but when it got so hot I have skipped several times. My collie doesn't really tolerate the heat well. I'm thinking about taking them for short walks sometimes after my run, but when I mention that I get told that I am obsessive about exercise. I guess I am just venting. I'm having a hard time lately figuring out how to fit in the things I want with the things I feel like i should do. At least tomorrow I am going to get my "long" run in. I may take the dogs for a walk in the afternoon too. I think next week i will plan my 4 run days so I don't have 3 rest days in a row.

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    August goal: 4 x 4

8/1: 4.72 1hr
    8/2 4.58 1:01
    8/3 rest
    8/4 5.26 1:03
    8/5 4.10 0:53
    8/6 rest
    8/7 6.37 1:11
    8/8 4.10 1:00
    8/9 4.11 0:51
    8/10 rest
    8/11 4.09 0:48
    8/12 4.00 0:50

Total 41.53

@MNLittleFinn enjoy your pizza, rest and best wishes to your wife
    @RespectTheKitty glad to hear you are mending.

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png
    upcoming races:
    Volcano Rainforest Runs 10k 8/19
    Hilo Bay 5 and 10k 9/10
    BlockThe Sun Run 5k Oct 14 (https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017) (physical and virtual options available)
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Aw, sorry it didn't go smoothly today @MNLittleFinn . Hope you are not too bruised up. Sounds like such a tough one.

@PastorVincent what a crazy race! You had a good attitude considering. And sorry about the tire. Wow, you are due for something good.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Date........Miles.......Total
    08/01......5.49........5.49 - + Strength Training
    08/02......0.00........5.49
    08/03......5.13......10.62 - Treadmill
    08/04......0.00......10.62 - + kr30dc day 1, Strength Training
    08/05......9.69......20.31 - + kr30dc day 2
    08/06......0.00......20.31 - + kr30dc day 3
    08/07......4.47......24.78 - + kr30dc day 4, Agility
    08/08......0.00......24.78 - + kr30dc day 5, Strength Training
    08/09......5.09......29.87 - + kr30dc day 6
    08/10......0.00......29.87 - + kr30dc day 7, Strength Training
    08/11......4.44......34.31
    08/12......4.91......39.22
    08/13......0.00......39.22 - + kr30dc day 8

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
    07/23/17 - San Francisco 1st Half Marathon

10/14/17 - AIM for the Cure Melanoma 5K Walk/Run
    12/16/17 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    07/22/18 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I watched the Bolt race and the Mo race earlier on tv. Felt so sad for both of them. Mo just couldn't pick up on that final sprint although he pushed so hard to get the silver, and poor poor Bolt. That looked painful. Like something went almost as soon as he picked up the baton.

(Wasn't expecting our guys to win though - and win it with style they did!)
  • girlinahat
    Options
    @PastorVincent that race sounds awful. Who wants an aid station at only 3 miles in on a 15k? And yeah, being handed a map at the start would be a real red flag - you get maps in mountain and fell races but that's because you are MEANT to figure out the route.

They clearly need a bit of practice...
  • girlinahat
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn ouch!

@kgirlhart can you work a schedule to gives the dogs some time as well as you? Do they get walked by anyone else in the household? Collies in particular need entertainment and it would obviously be great if you and they could combine forces.

@juliet3455 that trail race looks stunning. Can I come next time?

Hey @HonuNui did I miss snorkel day? I love seeing your pictures.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Sorry the long trail run didn't go as planned. I definitely know how that feels. My longest run before my 50k (which I then demoted to 25k) started with a hard fall in the first mile of what would be 14 miles/more than 3 hours. I spent the rest of the run bleeding and getting sweat in the cut on my knee (ouch!), and then I ran out of water on a hot day and couldn't keep my HR down because of the heat/dehydration. These runs just make us stronger and teach us some tough lessons. Hopefully your next long attempt has cooler weather and better results!

@kgirlhart Unless you're running something like 10 miles a day and walking your dogs for hours on end, I don't think anyone should accuse you of being obsessive. You're doing your human exercise for you and giving your dogs their bit of exercise too. Health for the whole family! Plus a short dog walk after a run is good for active recovery :) However, with the heat, I don't blame you for keeping the dogs indoors. I'm sure they appreciate not overheating or burning their little paws on hot pavement!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I've been feeling kind of guilty lately because I haven't been taking them to the park like I used to. I started on mfp almost 2 years ago trying to lose weight. And I started out by walking my son's dog after he left for college. When I reached my goal I started doing c25k. The dogs don't really like to run so I stopped taking them on my run days. Now I am running 4 days a week instead of 3. I was still taking them on my non run days, but when it got so hot I have skipped several times. My collie doesn't really tolerate the heat well. I'm thinking about taking them for short walks sometimes after my run, but when I mention that I get told that I am obsessive about exercise. I guess I am just venting. I'm having a hard time lately figuring out how to fit in the things I want with the things I feel like i should do. At least tomorrow I am going to get my "long" run in. I may take the dogs for a walk in the afternoon too. I think next week i will plan my 4 run days so I don't have 3 rest days in a row.

It's a tough balance for sure @kgirlhart getting in the running and the dog walking. My dog doesn't really like to run either. I take her once in a while when I don't have time to squeeze in both and it's cool enough. But I go very slowly on those runs and know it will be stop and start so it doesn't ever feel like a good run. I run 6 days a week so I mostly just have to do both a run and 1 or 2 dog walks a day (usually 40 minutes each walk at least). It's hard after a long run to know I need to come home and walk the dog but I do think it's a good stretch and cool-down. Yesterday I put in over 36,000 steps with the long run and the 2 dog walks. So then I ate some chocolate cake. Benefits!

Good luck in figuring out how to fit it in. It's tough for sure if you don't have anyone else to help (I don't) and your work hours may be longer or less flexible. I don't have answers but I sympathize!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn sorry about your fall and that it was not a good day for you. I hope everything is ok and that your wife (I think?) will be feeling better. I'm glad you took on an adventure and learned some things even though it didn't all go like you hoped.

@juliet3455 wow, that looks like an amazing and tough course. Great job! It always sounds like you enjoy your trail race challenges so much. Inspiring!
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    A 1.50 mile run today. So 14.48 left.

A good short run ☺️
  • anitamistry1
    anitamistry1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    6 Aug 3.15 km (1.95m)
    8 Aug PT session
    9 Aug 3.71 km (2.30m)
    10 Aug PT session