No one can live on foods of penitence

An annual joint conference sponsored by the Harvard School of Public Health and the Culinary Institute of America came away with a bunch of findings and perceptions. One particularly struck me.
Taste must accompany nutritional science. “No one can live on foods of penitence.” (- Mollie Katzen)

Too often, we view our improved eating as a diet of penitence. Food should be an enjoyable factor of life not a punishment for past gluttony.

I am striving to think this way and to continue to improve my cooking to take into account flavor and enjoyment as much as I did in the past. I am trying to remember that the only things I am changing are amounts and calorie counts. I can continue to be a foodie while losing weight. At least, that is what I am choosing to believe and so far it's working.

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Great points.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Too true.

I wouldn't be a good penitent.

Reading that quote by Mollie Katzen made me go and find my copy of 'The Enchanted Broccoli Forest' (1982)

Never been a vegetarian, but used to love that book.

Cheers, h.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    My dietician spoke with me about this at my last appointment and he suggested essentially the same thing. Less breaded stuff, more seasonings. It got me cooking more dinners and trying new stuff and I love it :smile:
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    I actually like plain food. I don't dislike food with spices or sauces, but I'm equally happy to eat some thing like roasted chicken and three steamed veggies, (sans seasoning), day in and day out.

But I heartily agree with the idea that you're more likely to get to goal and stay there if you approach things with self love than punishment.
  • zindroth
    zindroth Posts: 334 Member
    An annual joint conference sponsored by the Harvard School of Public Health and the Culinary Institute of America came away with a bunch of findings and perceptions. One particularly struck me.
    Taste must accompany nutritional science. “No one can live on foods of penitence.” (- Mollie Katzen)

Too often, we view our improved eating as a diet of penitence. Food should be an enjoyable factor of life not a punishment for past gluttony.

I am striving to think this way and to continue to improve my cooking to take into account flavor and enjoyment as much as I did in the past. I am trying to remember that the only things I am changing are amounts and calorie counts. I can continue to be a foodie while losing weight. At least, that is what I am choosing to believe and so far it's working.

I agree! I find that adjusting how I eat is an adventure. So many flavors to try...my poor BF is being inundated with new pinterest recipes on an almost daily basis. :)