Maintainers weekly Check-in August 2017

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I'm away on a long weekend, so I won't be weighing and posting my update until Wed. We are getting in lots of hikes and beach walks.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I'm away on a long weekend, so I won't be weighing and posting my update until Wed. We are getting in lots of hikes and beach walks.

Have fun!!
  • nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
    Name: Nichell
    Height: 5'6
    Total Weight lost: ~50lbs
    Time it took to lose: 5.5 months
    How long in maintenance:almost 13 weeks
    Maintenance weight range: 150-155lbs

Average weight recorded from February: 182.4
    Average weight recorded from March: 173.5
    Average weight recorded from April: 164.5
    Average weight recorded from May: 156.4
    Average weight recorded from June: 152.3
    Average weight recorded from July: 150.35

Week of...
    7th of August: 151.1, trend 149.4
    14th of August: 152.3, trend 149.9
    21st of August:
    28th of August:

Successes- I've naturally started to develop a new system of habits with my routine. I continue to track daily, but I've been letting loose a bit on the weekends. Still tracking accurately but I'm eating more foods I enjoy, treating myself. I was so fearful of doing this for a long time, and I continue to have a lot of anxiety around some of these things, but if I can continue how I am now, slowly letting loose, I think I'll ultimately relax more. I've had ice cream, cookies, brownies, etc. on weekends lately, and I don't want to go too far, but if I can maintain my pattern where it is now, I think it'll be smooth(er) sailing

Struggles- Along with the looser diet, i think I'm also going to alter my workout routine. I'm a little bit worried about this because it's quite a bit of change all at the same time, and up to this point I haven't really altered my workout regimen in this direction. Effectively, it's been ~9 months at this intensity, so I'm having a lot of second thoughts. Originally, I was still losing weight, but since I've loosened my weekends, I may be able to maintain a bit better. So I'm having a lot of internal struggle about this decision.
  • joanreneepas
    joanreneepas Posts: 85 Member
    jemalme wrote: »
    Name: Jennifer
    Height: 5'4"
    Total Weight lost: 43
    Time it took to lose: 8 months
    How long in maintenance: 5 months
    Maintenance weight range: 134 to 137

Average weight recorded from January: 140
    Average weight recorded from February: 139
    Average weight recorded from March: 135
    Average weight recorded from April: 134
    Average weight recorded from May: 134
    Average weight recorded from June: 135
    Average weight recorded from July: 136

Week of...
    7th August: 135.6
    14th August: 137
    21st August
    28th August

Success/struggles of the week: Well, things seem to be going in the wrong direction for me! Still within a good range, but I would like to be under 135 most of the time.

Had my parents visit this weekend. My mom is a food pusher who loves dessert. They took us out to eat and insisted on treating us to drinks AND dessert - yikes! I didn't order dessert, but I did get wine. Why do I let her do that to me? I am 47 years old, but when my mom is around I act like I'm 10!

I need to faithfully track every day this week. That is my goal.

• joanreneepas
    Jemalme: great job on passing on dessert! WTG
  • joanreneepas
    Joan, age 58; height 5'4"
    Total loss 31# over 9 months
    Goal weight range -125-128#
    Present weight 124.6
    August 14th-124.4
    Aug 21 -
    Aug 28 -
    At goal one month
    Struggles- night snacking
    Successes- sticking to exercise routine religiously, cardio+weight training
    Looking for mutual support for maintenance- New MFP friends esp women my age group- friend me if this is you

• lorrpb
    Name: Lori
    Height: 5'7"
    Total Weight lost: 150 (at lowest wt so far)
    Time it took to lose: 2 1/2 years
    How long in maintenance: 9/20/16 first day of weight within maint range
    Maintenance weight range: 150-155

Jan avg 154.3
    Feb avg 155.1
    March avg 155.9
    April avg 154.7
    May avg 155.4
    June avg 155.4 (2 weeks only, gone rest of month)
    July avg 155.3

8/6 155.2
    8/11 154.0

Well I cheated a bit on my reporting. I put in Friday's weight, before we went to the coast, rather than today's, my first weigh in after the trip. 159.6=up 6 pounds! Thank you to the best corned beef sandwich I've ever had, lol! This is one of the biggest fluctuations I've EVER had in 3 1/2 years! I know it's water weight, so that's fine. It will take about a week to get back to normal range.

We got in LOTS of walking and had a beautiful view from our room. We had a small kitchen so I could manage breakfast and lunch quite nicely.

• CoachJen71

We got in LOTS of walking and had a beautiful view from our room. We had a small kitchen so I could manage breakfast and lunch quite nicely.

Sounds like a great trip, and Yum to your sammich!
  • lorrpb
    CoachJen71 wrote: »

Sounds like a great trip, and Yum to your sammich!

WITH sauerkraut, Swiss cheese on Irish Soda Bread, an Irish reuben I guess!
  • lorrpb
    nichell88 wrote: »

Week of...
    21st of August:
    28th of August:

Successes- I've naturally started to develop a new system of habits with my routine. I continue to track daily, but I've been letting loose a bit on the weekends. Still tracking accurately but I'm eating more foods I enjoy, treating myself. I was so fearful of doing this for a long time, and I continue to have a lot of anxiety around some of these things, but if I can continue how I am now, slowly letting loose, I think I'll ultimately relax more. I've had ice cream, cookies, brownies, etc. on weekends lately, and I don't want to go too far, but if I can maintain my pattern where it is now, I think it'll be smooth(er) sailing

Struggles- Along with the looser diet, i think I'm also going to alter my workout routine. I'm a little bit worried about this because it's quite a bit of change all at the same time, and up to this point I haven't really altered my workout regimen in this direction. Effectively, it's been ~9 months at this intensity, so I'm having a lot of second thoughts. Originally, I was still losing weight, but since I've loosened my weekends, I may be able to maintain a bit better. So I'm having a lot of internal struggle about this decision.

For me the key to relaxing my food choices has been portion size and frequency. Doing it a couple times a month is one thing, doing it every day has undesirable results (for me).
    How are you going to alter your exercise? More or less? If you loosen up your diet and cut back on your workouts, you are likely to end up with more calories going in and fewer going out.
    I encourage you to also set a plan to monitor the results and decide now what adjustments you will make and what your threshold point is for taking action. This should help lessen your anxiety, because you will have a plan to deal with any issues and nip them in the bud. Hopefully all will go well!
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member

Week of...
    21st of August:
    28th of August:

For me the key to relaxing my food choices has been portion size and frequency. Doing it a couple times a month is one thing, doing it every day has undesirable results (for me).
    How are you going to alter your exercise? More or less? If you loosen up your diet and cut back on your workouts, you are likely to end up with more calories going in and fewer going out.
    I encourage you to also set a plan to monitor the results and decide now what adjustments you will make and what your threshold point is for taking action. This should help lessen your anxiety, because you will have a plan to deal with any issues and nip them in the bud. Hopefully all will go well!

Great advice! Your input is much appreciated in this thread. I personally find your comments uplifting and insightful.
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    vName: Chris
    Total Weight lost: 54
    Time it took to lose: 1.5 years to reach original goal of 150, 5 months to new goal of 145
    How long in maintenance: 3 months
    Maintenance weight range: 137-140

Average weight recorded from January:153.8
    Average weight recorded from February: 151.3
    Average weight recorded from March: 145.8
    Average weight recorded from April: 145.1
    Average weight recorded from May: 142.6
    Average weight recorded from June: 140.5
    Average weight recorded from July: 141.5

Week of...
    7th August: 139.8
    14th August
    21st August
    28th August

Struggles: many, many birthday celebrations, too much cake. Frosting is a weakness.
    Successes: limited alcohol, kept up exercise, increased strength exercises, back within new maintenance range Name: Chris
    Time it took to lose: 1.5 years to reach original goal of 150, 5 months to new goal of 145

Week of...
    14th August
    21st August
    28th August

Struggles: many, many birthday celebrations, too much cake. Frosting is a weakness.
    Successes: limited alcohol, kept up exercise, increased strength exercises, back within new maintenance range Name: Chris

Week of...
    14th August: 140.4
    21st August
    28th August

Struggles: Still too much food intense socializing. On Saturday I was at the same weight I was the prior week, but a carb dense Polish dinner out put me over for the beginning of the week. A birthday celebration last night did not help to get that extra pound off yet but working to get it off before Sunday when I will be going on a winery tour. This is just as hard as losing, constant vigilance.

Successes: Back on the plan, managed to exercise every day to ward off even more pounds I would have gained if I hadn't. Still technically within maintenance (do those little fractions of a pound count?) and lower than I was last month.
  • nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member

Week of...
    21st of August:
    28th of August:

@lorrpb so that's what I've been doing, setting a plan based on the results I'm seeing. That's what I intend to do by adjusting my exercise. That's the plan, haha.
  • joanreneepas
    Nichell88
    I totally agree with lorrpb.
    like you, I am loosening up on foods and allowing myself more treats and have some anxiety around it. To balance that I am continuing my exercise routine the same and am continuing to strictly log everything. I'll see what happens with scale and make adjustments as needed. Still, I'm a little nervous about it. I have history of yo-yo ing and absolutely do not want that Ever again.
  • joanreneepas
    Mikesmom1983
    Terrific job getting workouts in every day past week! I have only been maintaining 1 month but this, is taking diligence. I'm trying to find my balance. We can do this!
  • kalchthaleri
    kalchthaleri Posts: 231 Member
    Name: Ingrid
    Height: 5'4
    Total Weight lost: 208 lbs
    Time it took to lose: 3 years and 6 months
    How long in maintenance: 4 months
    Maintenance weight range: 128-135

Average weight recorded from January: 135
    Average weight recorded from February: 132
    Average weight recorded from March: 132
    Average weight recorded from April: 132
    Average weight recorded from May: 132
    Average weight recorded from June: 130.6
    Average weight recorded from July: 131.5

Week of August 4: 127.5
    Week of August 11: 128
    Week of August 18: 130

Struggles/successes of the week: Had my last test today to see if my liver donation is a go- it was a liver biopsy. I am glad I worked out this morning before the test (even though it was at 4:20am- workout, not test)! Right now I am super sore! Haha! Did really well with calories this week and have fallen in love with zucchini! Of course I see the scale go up this month and instantly panic, but then I see I am still down under my goal weight, but still I worry.
  • CoachJen71
    Name: Jen
    Height: 5'2.5"
    Total Weight lost:145lbs
    Time it took to lose: 2.75yrs
    How I lost it: My story (PhotoBucket broke my pics. Still working on fixing this.)
    How long in maintenance : I declared it at 140 in January 2016, but that was too high for a petite lady. Redeclared it 4/14/17.
    Maintenance weight range: Would like to stay under 122 at morning weigh-in.
    Ongoing struggle: I still need to learn to trust my body cues, be content with eating just enough, and stop asking food to be more than just fuel. Life after work is just filled with getting steps and eating food to fill my evening. Really need to make peace with having fewer cals to work with. Contentment and an attitude of gratitude (and maybe a hobby, like sign language) are the order of the day.

January avg weight trend: 126.8lbs
    February avg weight trend: 126.1lbs
    March avg weight trend: 124.6lbs
    April avg weight trend: 122.9lbs
    May avg weight trend: 123.4lbs
    June avg weight trend: 122.6lbs
    July avg weight trend: 122.3lbs

Trend week of...
    28th July: 121.8lbs
    4th August: 120.7lbs
    11th August: 119lbs
    18th August: 118.4lbs

Successes of the week: Made an effort to do more resistance and flexibility work, and also got on the elliptical and treadmill. Hubby said that if it weren't for my sagging skin, I would be freaking hot. (He thinks I am anyway, but he meant that other people would see it too. LOL)

Challenges of the week:
    So my daily weight bottomed out at 116.6 last week, and has been in the 117s for 2 weeks now. I clearly underestimated the effects of tweaks I made on my Fitbit, logging walks through MFP, and hauling 30lbs around backpacking. Am still trying to sort out the right fake height on my Fitbit to compensate for too high calorie burns. Have decided not to log walks for the sake of being right. My OCD is gonna have to let that one go and allow Fitbit to be right for the wrong reason. (My lazy bone is happy to do this. Constantly logging mini walks was annoying!)

Also still trying to cut back on steps, but failed this week. Will try again next week!
  • lorrpb
    @CoachJen71 you are doing a great job of staying in your maintenance range. If you feel you've dropped a little more than you want to, add back a few calorie dense foods, hopefully with protein. Nuts & pb are great if you can have them. Protein shakes & bars. Extra bit of olive oil & avocado will add healthy fats. I'd rather do that than decrease my steps. I'm finding that maintenance is not linear, any more than losing was. It is a process of adjustments. Try not to get stressed about it.
  • CoachJen71
    edited August 2017
    @CoachJen71 you are doing a great job of staying in your maintenance range. If you feel you've dropped a little more than you want to, add back a few calorie dense foods, hopefully with protein. Nuts & pb are great if you can have them. Protein shakes & bars. Extra bit of olive oil & avocado will add healthy fats. I'd rather do that than decrease my steps. I'm finding that maintenance is not linear, any more than losing was. It is a process of adjustments. Try not to get stressed about it.

Thanks, Lor!

I could definitely do that, but it's been hard squeezing in strength and flexibility workouts on top of 25K steps, which takes me most of the day to get. I have lost muscle from skipping those workouts, so really need to shift my focus. I used to have legs like Mary Lou Retton, but now my thighs look like they came from a really old chicken. My calves are almost as big as they are! (Ditto biceps and forearms.) So it looks like less steps would be the best way to carve out more time for fixing that.