Maintainers weekly Check-in August 2017

Options

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    CoachJen71 wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    @CoachJen71 you are doing a great job of staying in your maintenance range. If you feel you've dropped a little more than you want to, add back a few calorie dense foods, hopefully with protein. Nuts & pb are great if you can have them. Protein shakes & bars. Extra bit of olive oil & avocado will add healthy fats. I'd rather do that than decrease my steps. I'm finding that maintenance is not linear, any more than losing was. It is a process of adjustments. Try not to get stressed about it.

Thanks, Lor!

I could definitely do that, but it's been hard squeezing in strength and flexibility workouts on top of 25K steps, which takes me most of the day to get. I have lost muscle from skipping those workouts, so really need to shift my focus. I used to have legs like Mary Lou Retton, but now my thighs look like they came from a really old chicken. My calves are almost as big as they are! (Ditto biceps and forearms.) So it looks like less steps would be the best way to carve out more time for fixing that.

Yes, it can be a lot to get everything in and 25K is a LOT of steps! I didn't realize why you were cutting back.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    @CoachJen71 , if you take up cycling, you will see the nice difference in your things ;). I'm so impressed with your results, and your ability to fit all those steps and extra workouts in, how do you do that?
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    @CoachJen71 , if you take up cycling, you will see the nice difference in your things ;). I'm so impressed with your results, and your ability to fit all those steps and extra workouts in, how do you do that?

Been years since I was out on a bike. Used to ride all the time as a kid!

I can fit so much exercise in right now because I am not working. Once school starts back, I will go back to strength workouts at 4am, steps during school, walking or elliptical/treadmill after school for a couple of hours to keep my heart strong for hiking, and stretch before bed. I could do less cardio if I wanted to eat less, but I really like eating the way I do.
  • stephenearllucas
    stephenearllucas Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Name: Stephen
    Height: 6'2"
    Total Weight lost: 78 lbs.
    Time it took to lose: 12 months
    How long in maintenance: 7.5 months
    Maintenance weight range: 180-185 lbs.

January: 184.7 lbs.
    February: 182.7 lbs.
    March: 182.5 lbs.
    April: 183.1 lbs.
    May: 182.4 lbs.
    June: 181.4 lbs.
    July: 182.7 lbs.

Week of...
    7th August: 184.3 lbs.
    14th August: 184.2 lbs.
    21st August: 183.5 lbs.
    28th August:
  • jemalme
    jemalme Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Name: Jennifer
    Height: 5'4"
    Total Weight lost: 43
    Time it took to lose: 8 months
    How long in maintenance: 5 months
    Maintenance weight range: 134 to 137

Average weight recorded from January: 140
    Average weight recorded from February: 139
    Average weight recorded from March: 135
    Average weight recorded from April: 134
    Average weight recorded from May: 134
    Average weight recorded from June: 135
    Average weight recorded from July: 136

Week of...
    7th August: 135.6
    14th August: 137
    21st August: 136.8
    28th August

Success/struggles of the week: There have been a lot of opportunities for me to eat (and drink) out this past week. Spent Friday in downtown Philadelphia where the hubby and I had a lovely date and stopped at an outdoor beer garden. I really did enjoy the time spent with him - I had a pint of IPA and half a bratwurst sandwich. We walked and walked around Independence Mall, so I didn't feel so bad about the food and drink.

Right now my husband is searching for a new job, so he is home all the time. That means I am cooking a lot more dinners (when he is not home I tend to eat lighter) and there are a bunch of snacks in the house. It's tempting for me. When I was in active weight-loss mode, I had little rules for myself (no red meat, fish twice per week, no ice cream in the house, only 7 servings of alcohol per week, etc.). The rules worked for me, and I need to get back to following them. My weight is steady, but I'd still like to settle in a few pound lighter...
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    Name: Kathryn
    Height: 5'3.5"
    Total Weight lost: ~70 lbs (I dropped about 10 lbs below original goal)
    Time it took to lose: 10 months (to original goal of 135)
    How long in maintenance: I called maintenance in July 2016, but I have continued to slowly lose so I'm not really sure.
    Maintenance weight range: 120 - 125 lbs

Average weight recorded from January: 127.1
    Average weight recorded from February: 126.5
    Average weight recorded from March: 126.2
    Average weight recorded from April: 124.9
    Average weight recorded from May: 124.9
    Average weight recorded from June: 122.8
    Average weight recorded from July: 122.1

Week of...
    7th August: 122.2 scale/ 122.1 trend
    14th August: 122.2 scale/122.3 trend
    21st August: 122.4 scale/123.0 trend
    28th August:

Success/struggles of the week: My weight was up over the weekend. I know it was mostly water weight from eating out almost every day last week and also celebrating my anniversary on Friday. I'm not worried though because I already see it starting to come down and even though the trend was up a bit it is still in the middle of the range so nothing to be worried about. This weekend may be a bit of a struggle with my Dad's 80th birthday party and my kids coming into town, but I am just going to be mindful of what I am eating and try not to over do it.
  • icemom011
    Options
    Name: Irina
    Height : 5'7"
    Total Weight lost: 75ish lbs
    Time it took to lose: about 10 months
    How long in maintenan 9 months
    Maintenance weight range, adjusted: 145 - 150 lbs

Average weight recorded from January: 152.3
    Average weight recorded from February: 152.2
    Average weight recorded from March: 151.4
    Range of weight recorded from April 146.6- 150.4
    Range of weight recorded from May 144.6- 151.2
    Range of weight from June 143.6- 153.2
    Range of weight from July 143.0 - 149.6

Week of...
    7th August 147.4 scale, 147.0 trend
    14th August 148.8 scale, 147.2 trend
    21st August 151 scale, 148 trend
    28th August

Success / struggles of the week: my weight have been steadily going up the last few days, and so did the trend, of course. I haven't been eating out, and have been eating pretty decent, at least not bad enough to gain a few pounds. It really annoyed me to see the numbers climb up, not sure what's that about. And then I'm annoyed because the scale number bothers me so much. I will pay more attention to my meals and snacks, gotta get it under control.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    Name: Irina
    Height : 5'7"
    Total Weight lost: 75ish lbs
    Time it took to lose: about 10 months
    How long in maintenan 9 months
    Maintenance weight range, adjusted: 145 - 150 lbs

Average weight recorded from January: 152.3
    Average weight recorded from February: 152.2
    Average weight recorded from March: 151.4
    Range of weight recorded from April 146.6- 150.4
    Range of weight recorded from May 144.6- 151.2
    Range of weight from June 143.6- 153.2
    Range of weight from July 143.0 - 149.6

Week of...
    7th August 147.4 scale, 147.0 trend
    14th August 148.8 scale, 147.2 trend
    21st August 151 scale, 148 trend
    28th August

Success / struggles of the week: my weight have been steadily going up the last few days, and so did the trend, of course. I haven't been eating out, and have been eating pretty decent, at least not bad enough to gain a few pounds. It really annoyed me to see the numbers climb up, not sure what's that about. And then I'm annoyed because the scale number bothers me so much. I will pay more attention to my meals and snacks, gotta get it under control.

You have been on your journey more than 1 1/2 years and in maintenance 10 months. Have you never experienced weight fluctuations? This is a normal part of living. It is also affected by your monthly cycle, if you are of that age. Fluctuations are more obvious in maintenance than when losing. Of course it's annoying to see the increase---I'm currently in the midst of losing 6 lbs of water weight gained from eating a corned beef sandwich last week---but it's nothing to get stressed or discouraged about. You've done a great job of maintaining!! Congrats!
  • nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Name: Nichell
    Height: 5'6
    Total Weight lost: ~50lbs
    Time it took to lose: 5.5 months
    How long in maintenance:almost 14 weeks
    Maintenance weight range: 150-155lbs

Average weight recorded from February: 182.4
    Average weight recorded from March: 173.5
    Average weight recorded from April: 164.5
    Average weight recorded from May: 156.4
    Average weight recorded from June: 152.3
    Average weight recorded from July: 150.35

Week of...
    7th of August: 151.1, trend 149.4
    14th of August: 152.3, trend 149.9
    21st of August: 152.2, trend 150.7
    28th of August:

Successes- Still in my range which I guess is a success. Honestly had more struggles this time around than I did successes, i think.

Struggles- my weight is trending up, which is just scary to see. I know it's normal and fluctuation are going to happen and it's never going to be perfectly steady but god I wish it would. I'm still in my range, but I'd like to level out. Really overage yesterday, though I didn't track everything because I didn't want to see it, honestly. My plans changed at the last minute and I haven't been able to exercise as much self control lately as I used to so I let go. I'd planned to loosen up on weekends anyway, but I practically binged yesterday, likely over 3000 calories. Just can't seem to get it right
  • joanreneepas
    joanreneepas Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I guess I messed up. I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to add to my original post here. To enter my new weight. Well-124.2. I'm happy
    Good week here. I've been leaving lots from you gal's successes and struggles. Thx
  • joanreneepas
    joanreneepas Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Whoops again meant "learning"
  • icemom011
    Options
    @lorrpb. Thank you, Lori for your encouraging words. It's all true, and that's the way it is. I will try to keep it in perspective.
  • icemom011
    Options
    I guess I messed up. I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to add to my original post here. To enter my new weight. Well-124.2. I'm happy
    Good week here. I've been leaving lots from you gal's successes and struggles. Thx

I just copy and paste, and then you can add your new week's numbers
  • CoachJen71
    Options
    nichell88 wrote: »
    Name: Nichell
    My plans changed at the last minute and I haven't been able to exercise as much self control lately as I used to so I let go. I'd planned to loosen up on weekends anyway, but I practically binged yesterday, likely over 3000 calories. Just can't seem to get it right

I am right there with you!

• girlgroves
    girlgroves Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm not formally checking in until Friday, but my first weigh-in since before the hols put me at 6lbs more yesterday than before I went away. I know this is mostly water-weight (I was already 1.4lbs lower by this morning), but WOW!?

Needless to say, I'm back on it!
  • lorrpb
    Options
    girlgroves wrote: »
    I'm not formally checking in until Friday, but my first weigh-in since before the hols put me at 6lbs more yesterday than before I went away. I know this is mostly water-weight (I was already 1.4lbs lower by this morning), but WOW!?

Needless to say, I'm back on it!

I swear that 6 is the magic water weight number!!
  • kalchthaleri
    kalchthaleri Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Name: Ingrid
    Height: 5'4
    Total Weight lost: 208 lbs
    Time it took to lose: 3 years and 6 months
    How long in maintenance: 5 months
    Maintenance weight range: 128-135

Average weight recorded from January: 135
    Average weight recorded from February: 132
    Average weight recorded from March: 132
    Average weight recorded from April: 132
    Average weight recorded from May: 132
    Average weight recorded from June: 130.6
    Average weight recorded from July: 131.5
    Average weight recorded from August: 128.75

Week of August 4: 127.5
    Week of August 11: 128
    Week of August 18: 130
    Week of August 25: 129.5

Struggles/successes of the week: Really hard week. Found out Wednesday from the biopsy that something is wrong with my own liver so I can't be a donor. Will have to follow up with a doctor but right now I am just so sad that this woman to start the process all over, because of insurance, money of course, they only evaluate one person at a time. Fortunately, her husband is starting the process already. So that is good. I just wish that they had somebody ready to get you know? So I really wanted to binge when I found out. And I did eat more than my calories that day that I found out. I hate that I still use food as a comfort. I can justify all kinds of ways, telling myself I'm actually on the lower end of my weight goal and this and all of that, but still I know my motivation, and it's not good for me to use food to comfort myself. Fortunately I was able to get back on the stick yesterday And even on Thursday when I went over my calories I still exercised.
  • CoachJen71
    Options
    Name: Ingrid

Struggles/successes of the week: Really hard week. Found out Wednesday from the biopsy that something is wrong with my own liver so I can't be a donor. Will have to follow up with a doctor but right now I am just so sad that this woman to start the process all over, because of insurance, money of course, they only evaluate one person at a time. Fortunately, her husband is starting the process already. So that is good. I just wish that they had somebody ready to get you know? So I really wanted to binge when I found out. And I did eat more than my calories that day that I found out. I hate that I still use food as a comfort. I can justify all kinds of ways, telling myself I'm actually on the lower end of my weight goal and this and all of that, but still I know my motivation, and it's not good for me to use food to comfort myself. Fortunately I was able to get back on the stick yesterday And even on Thursday when I went over my calories I still exercised.

What a rough week! I am so sorry things didn't work out, and hope your own liver issue isn't serious. It is totally understandable that you went over on cals, but I am glad you were able to care for yourself with exercise. You get big points for that! *hugs*
  • CoachJen71
    Options
    Name: Jen
    Height: 5'2.5"
    Total Weight lost:145lbs
    Time it took to lose: 2.75yrs
    How I lost it: My story (PhotoBucket broke my pics. Still working on fixing this.)
    How long in maintenance : I declared it at 140 in January 2016, but that was too high for a petite lady. Redeclared it 4/14/17.
    Maintenance weight range: Would like to stay under 122 at morning weigh-in.
    Ongoing struggle: I still need to learn to trust my body cues, be content with eating just enough, and stop asking food to be more than just fuel. Life after work is just filled with getting steps and eating food to fill my evening. Really need to make peace with having fewer cals to work with. Contentment and an attitude of gratitude (and maybe a hobby, like sign language) are the order of the day.

January avg weight trend: 126.8lbs
    February avg weight trend: 126.1lbs
    March avg weight trend: 124.6lbs
    April avg weight trend: 122.9lbs
    May avg weight trend: 123.4lbs
    June avg weight trend: 122.6lbs
    July avg weight trend: 122.3lbs

Trend week of...
    28th July: 121.8lbs
    4th August: 120.7lbs
    11th August: 119lbs
    18th August: 118.4lbs
    25th August: 117.9lbs

Successes of the week: Still working on strength. Could be better about flexibility. I realized that my Fitbit, which caused me to gain when set at maintenance, was also the reason why I lost when I made my profile height shorter. Instead of gaining on days when it was wrong, I was losing on days when it was right. Ergo, it is not consistent in its rightness or wrongness, and tweaking my profile or cals will do me no good. So I have looked at my data for long term trends to find some calorie/step/weight correlation. I am now working with the following guideline for walking days. If my exercise adjustment seems too high, I will know to scrutinize my Fitbit data for the day.

Steps TDEE Cals MFP Ex Adj
    <5K 1300-1350
    7.5K 1400-1450
    10K 1500-1550 +75
    12.5K 1600-1650 +150
    15K 1700-1750 +225
    17.5K 1800-1850 +300
    20K 1900-1950 +375
    22.5K 2000-2050 +450
    25K 2100-2150 +525
    27.5K 2200-2250 +600
    30K 2300-2350 +675

Challenges of the week:
    Obviously, the TDEE thing, getting stressed over school starting up again, and my eldest is leaving for college today!! Was up at 4am to get in some miserable time on the elliptical and treadmill, but will be happy with myself later tonight when I have my evening treats.