WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2017

Options

Replies

• josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Checking in-looks like you have been having good adventures and laughter.
    Lanette-I absolutely agree with you about my washing machine. Leaks, shows errors, and can not get the mildew off the rubber gasket. Going to buy the cheapest one that does only ordinary stuff next. I am over front-loaders.
    Rye it was such a luxury when my husband drove.
    Becca I have heard a bar of Ivory Soap under your sheets by your feet helps with Restless Legs.
    Karen Sorry the loss was close to home. We are supposed to drive to Charlottesville Thursday and I am wondering if I still should. Not only do I hate driving in heavy traffic but why take the boy somewhere that's recovering from troubles? I imagine security will be tightened and patience will be running short.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:

ride hm 2 game- 18.33min, 11.2amph, 152mhr, 3.6mi = 218c windy
    Apple Watch- 233c
    ride game 2 hm- 23.30min, 9.4amph 149mhr, 3.4mi = 257c windy
    Apple Watch- 281c

wahoo= 475c
    Apple Watch 514c
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Heather - Have to tell this story. When my Daddy was alive and practicing law; he and my Mother went to Russia with a 'group of attorneys' to have a 'conference-type' session to understand the process of law in each country. They went on a lot of tours, enjoyed them ... so my Daddy start talking to a man on the street asking him directions. Now, you'd have to have 'known' my Daddy - very gregarious. So while they had a bit of trouble communicating ... Daddy gave him what we, in America, call the "OK" sign (pointer finger and thumb making a circle and the three other finger up and fanned out) and nodding to try to let him know that he 'understood' him. The tour guide came running over and said something in "Russian" to the man; and, he nodded his head then. Daddy was puzzled and the 'tour guide' told him that not ALL gestures mean the same in different countries. What it translated into Russian was the equivalent of us (USA) shooting the 'birdie' finger. Middle finger up, and all the others held down by the thumb. My Daddy was almost 'mortified'; but, the tour guide had smoothed things over between the 2 of them. They both laughed about it, and the 'tour guide' translated a nice conversation between the 2 of them. He enjoyed telling his friends about it when they got home.

Random Thought ... My Daddy was always known to be 'succinct' when he needed to be. However, most times he would talk while looking through papers, to 'stall'. He would talk to just about 'anybody' ... he 'loved' people. It's an attorney thing ... they don't want to lose the 'interest' of the Judge or jury; especially, if things are going their way. Louis and I went on a Marriage Encounter for the weekend and had just walked in the door and the phone was ringing. I run to get it and Daddy asked if I had talked to my oldest sister (who still lived here) and I told him "NO, we'd been out of town." He said, "Mama died." I went into hysterics, surprising him, when he realized what he had said ... "Mama" to us, was 'our' Mama; but, "Mama" to him was 'his' mother. He was talking about 'his' Mama. When he talked to her, he called her "Mama"; but, when her was 'referring to her' [to us] he'd call her 'our Grandmama'. Neither he nor my mother ever referred to each other as "Mama" and "Daddy" ... it was always 'your Mama' or 'your Daddy'; or 'your Grandmama' or 'Mimi' if talking about my Mother's mother. They called one another by their given names. None of us, when we married and started having children, ever started allowing our husbands to call us "Mama" or to be called "Daddy". Louis is NOT my Mama and I am NOT his Mom. My nieces (children of oldest sister) called our Mama/Mother "Grandmother" ... she was very 'prim and proper'. At that point, the 3 of us girls had started calling her Mother; although I always called her Mama - unless we were around other people. When Trey was little (just talking and understanding that things had names) he kept hearing me call my Mother "Mama". At the time, that is what he called me. We were obviously confusing him and I explained how I was 'his' Mama; and, pointed to her and patted my chest and said, 'this is MY Mama'. He looked at us and said, "MeMaw". Yes, that's right ... I'm your Mama and she is MY Mama. From that point on, he call her "MeMaw" and my Daddy "PaPaw". My nieces never changed. My middle sister's children (younger than mine) ... when they started talking also called them the same as Trey did. Later on, the got more 'formal'. My boys never did.

Watching "Dateline: Inferno - Survivors Stories". OMG ... it is ... I don't even have words for it. I do remember getting an email from a former HS classmate of mine (not too long ago) ... stationed up there ... said, at times ... it feels scary. Praying for all who have all the disasters and other things going on around where you live and/or work.

Lenora
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :)Gloria , my recumbent bike is an exercise bike not a converted one. Sorry I can't help you

<3 Barbie
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening my dear Friends,

Rye, Charlie is a cutie. He reminds me of a cat we had for years. Her name was George. Lol

Lanette, your fresh veggies sound wonderful.

MicheleNC, I’m sure I just read it too quickly back when this shower discussion first started, but who is/are the actually hostess of the shower? Does it have a theme or will they bring all kinds of gifts? Is no one giving her a shower in her home town? I guess all of her old high school friends have probably moved away. That is too funny that the therapist just shut the door when torturing Vince.

Heather, it sounds like a fantastic evening last night. Wow, what an experience you are having. Thanks so much for sharing.

Allie, I can’t wait to see if Tom shows up today. I know you are ready to get this show on the road.

M, I am still constantly amazed at the distances you ride. I just can’t imagine biking that far.

Lisa, congrats on a successful fundraiser.

NYKaren, your mini vacation sounds wonderful. So glad you enjoyed it.

CarolGA, we have to put our dog’s pills in a piece of hotdog. DH was cutting it so short that the pill would fall out and I suggested he cut it a bit longer. That works great and is a morning treat that they now get.

Becca, I thought the video was a “Hoot”! Thanks for the laugh.

Rye, if you don’t feel safe on a bike then it’s probably best to not be riding it to the gym. Follow your gut.

Pip. I like the bangs but then I like it when all your hair is short. Lol

Dorrie, ever since my first colonoscopy I tell people that the prep is way worse than the procedure and it has gotten better each time I’ve had one. I think I’ve had 3 so far.

NYKaren, absolutely beautiful pictures. I do believe I could spend a day looking at those beautiful flowers!!!

Chris, great picture and sounds like a fun day.

Josephine, I’ve heard of soap under the sheet at the foot of your bed for leg cramps but didn’t know it would help restless leg also. I actually keep a bar in my bed (more or less as a joke) and can’t say it helps my leg cramps but now that I think about it; I haven’t had restless legs for quite some time. That could be why. Who knows?

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

My back has been better today. Thanks for the good wishes on it. Someone asked what the problem is: I had a spinal fusion about 13 years ago which helped the Spondylolisthesis but now I think it’s mostly arthritis. When I had the surgery my surgeon said he wanted to just fuse 2 vertebrae but ended up needing to do 3. He said that usually in a few years a patient would need the next one up fused, but I’m not going there.

Sending love, good thoughts and cool sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Good evening. Enjoying Heathers posts as we did that trip a few years ago. I do remember the vodka WA plentiful at every meal when we were in Russia.
    I' m not a cat person but I love Charlie and his story.
    Have to get my diary filled in. See ya tomorrow.
    SueBDew inTX
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    2191610q208gshr57.gif Stats for today:
    *16,000 steps
    *180 minutes walking Sasha and Bessie
    *120 minutes riding the exercise bike
    *64 minutes working in the yard mostly moving rocks
    *two hour nap
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of a lower body pilates DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do one segment of this Beachbody Fitness Sampler DVD (I don't know what that's all about, I did get it at Habitat for Humanity unopened), hold my plank, then take the extremepump class.

Joyce - when you walked into the reception hall wearing the sunglasses (I think that's cool), did you walk in with Charlie? Or was it just the ladies? I still think that "We are family" would be good to walk in to. I know, I know, people really won't remember. Maybe Denise and Pete will, especially if it's to a song about how we are now one big family. Just wish Vince would go for that song.

Heather - what I proposed to Denise was that I would get this large platter and have everyone at the reception sign it. I would then take it back with me to NC and have someone go over the signatures in dark purple paint (one of her colors), glaze the platter and then give it to them. Actually, I would have had Jess draw a pic on the plate and somehow put their names and date on it. But instead she wanted this tree thing where everyone signs a leaf. Oh well...that saved me money and time. St. Petersburg sounds amazing.

Carol - I have heard that if you need to give a pet a pill, put it in some of that CheezeWiz stuff. Personally, I've never had to do that since our cats love the pill pockets. I do know that the vet's office uses it.

Made this filling for bites to take to Rummikub tuesday. The gal who is hosting is lactose intolerant. They are shrimp (because I had shrimp that I wanted to use up) and corn on a tortilla scoop. Now I have one in the refrig to see if the shrimp filling makes them go mushy. I'd like to take some to Jess. I'm sure I'll have filling left over. Update: yup, it does. If I need to take some to Jess, I just will give her the tortilla chips and the filling separate. It'll go soggy before she could have it.

Rye - why not get the bike and at first just ride it around your neighborhood? You might surprise youself.

Becca - carting your rice cooker is something that I would do for one of my children. As a matter of fact, when we go to Jess' for Thanksgiving, Vince laughs that I take half the kitchen.

Just came in from the pool.

Update on the shower: I'm going to need more than 3 glasses of wine to get thu it. More like 3 BOTTLES might, just might, do it. Amanda, Angela and Jess went to the winery today to see it. Angela said "oh, this is nice. Denise is really going to like it". Amanda, on the other hand, complained about everything. She insisted that she wanted wait staff, etc. Of course, Angela and Jess don't want to pay for that. Denise has said that a buffet is OK, as long as there is somewhere for people to sit. Amanda said that she'd pay for it. Now she works in a dentist office, she's raising a son. Do you think she has a lot of money? We know who'll be paying for it.

Well....Maria texted Jess saying that this place is totally unacceptable for her family and that Jess has no respect for her family (maybe they shouldn't come???) and that she was going to have a shower of her own. I tell you, I was in tears. Not because it would be better because it probably wouldn't. But because I wanted a nice shower for my daughter and Maria is sticking her nose in. Vince was livid! Maria told Jess that she has no respect for Maria's family so she's going to have a shower of her own. How will it look if she has a shower and the Mother of the Bride and the Maid of Honor aren't there??? Vince was saying that no one talks to his daughter the way Maria is. He called Denise, told her that this should be taken care of tonight or he will call Maria. I have a feeling that Denise won't do that, she said that she's going to bed. She called Maria and Maria said that she's on the boat and she'll call Denise when she gets off. What a load! She can't talk, but she can send nasty texts to Jess? I bet she doesn't call Denise, she probably doesn't want to talk to Denise.

Denise just spoke to Vince. He told her that he knows Denise didn't want this, but it looks like Pete's family is who is causing all the problems. Even Denise admitted that.

Now....Amanda says that she's out of the wedding. To me, that is a good thing. I understand that the only reason (besides Maria wanting an inside scoop on things) is because they thought it would look funny to have 3 groomsmen and only 2 bridesmaids. Personally, two of the groomsmen can walk Jess down the aisle. To me, that wouldn't look funny.

I know Jess has put a lot of time and effort into this shower. And for Maria to do this not only to Jess but also to Denise is totally unacceptable. She doesn't need added stress. She was saying to Jess how she's mother of the groom. That's right...and I'm mother of the bride. And I always will be. She was saying how she has relatives coming from an hour away. Heck...the mother of the bride is coming from 10 hours away! So what's the problem?

Update: Vince just talked to Denise who talked to Maria. Maria went on what Amanda told her. She told her that 1) the only thing they served was wine. Not true. They serve wine and water, but you are welcome to bring in any non-alcoholic beverage. 2) the only food they had was chicken parm. Not true. The menu hadn't been decided. Jess had a few options, they could get one thing from one place, another thing from another place 3) it was very sloped. Jess said there was a SLIGHT slope. The event coordinator said that the tents for the food could even be set up next to the parking lot. 4) it was totally outside. Not true. There are tables and chairs in the building, but all the people can't sit in there. Some will have to be outside. The building can only accommodate around 25. Now the food does have to be served outside or else the winery needs to get a restaurant license. But I don't see where that's a big problem. But this is the place Angela wanted. Amanda could have voice her opinion but chose not to so she needs to go with what was decided without her input.

Amanda evidentally said that she wasn't in the wedding. Is she still not going to be? (that would be great)

Oh...I didn't want this for Denise. If his mother sticks her nose in the wedding and shower, what is she going to do in their marriage?

michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    Beautiful day, rain last night and this morning we could actually see the mountains again. It rained again later in the morning. DD is in Houston on her way to Panama for a few days courtesy of her best friend who is traveling with her. Ate leftovers from the birthday dinner today and did pretty well.

Gloria - My belief is that swimming can be a spiritual experience. I used to swim at the YW when I worked there. We would turn off the overhead lights and just leave the underwater ones on. It was so relaxing. I am thinking about doing a pod float just to see what it is like. There is a new place that opened not too far from here.

Carol in GA - I give my poodle pills in a chunk of canned cat food. She is positive the cat has much better food than she does so swallows it right down.

Pip - I like your hair both ways but know that I need short hair if I am wearing my riding helmet. Which way is it easier to take care of when you wear your bike helmet so much?

Michelle - Don't you just wish people would stick to their assigned roles? I'm with you, you are the mother of the bride and some things should just be your prerogative.

Lisa - Glad your fundraiser came off well.

Heather - Wow, sounds like an awesome night.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Michele in NC, yep well I used the rice cooker this evening, and she worked fine. The little light that comes on when you plug it in is soooo old looking! But she makes the creamiest, sticky rice ever!

Becca
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    With Michelle's wedding, only the women walked, or swaggered in wearing the sunglasses. Charlie refused to do any of it. No sense in it! Well. Was there to hav fun. I loved m daughter and future son in law and was going to have fun. It was m last child and counted on it to be my last wedding.

Lenora, when we took our cruise to the Bahamas, we had a stop on Puerto Rica. Chalrie had been there in the Navy and said he didn't need to pay for a tie. He knew his way around! So we went on the Charlie tour. We saw the fort and enjoyed walking around in town. We stopped at a pub and got involved with a middle age man. Come to find out he was a lawyer, guess they are all people watchers and talk.

Heather, some one mentioned you could write a travelogue. I think you could be one of the travel hosts on the travel shows. You are very well versed, seem to be a people person, easy on the eye, like the different languages and cultural activities in the different countries. Maybe we could see you on TV some day on the Travel Channel. S it the to remake yourself???? You would be paid to do all f this.

I'm sad. mr Mozart still enjoys his time d
    Sitting in my lap with his loud motorcycle engine running so much I can't hear anyone but it is beginning to be more on his time. He used to let me pick him up and he would just snuggle, let me brush his hair, etc. now he has this big world to conquer. He is more of the cat personality that he will be your friend on his time now. But he is still precious.

Here is a picture of the two together.bf4pu6p48abc.jpeg

Love you Gus. Good luck Allie.

Joyce, Indiana
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Mother of the grooms (3x); enjoyed my role as the groom's mother. First time (shotgun), backyard wedding, and stepmother of bride did 'all' the work ... was masterful. No Rehearsal Dinner ... because 'no rehearsal'. Second time, not a 'shotgun' ... but bride's (DDnL#1) family took care of everything ... wedding in yard of her DB & DSnL. All I needed to do was 'ask my boss' to 'officiate' ... he was a Judge therefor he could do so. No problem. He shows up, marries them, and leaves. Next time ... (there won't be) ... 'elope'!!! PLEASE! LOL!

Second son gets married, lives in LA, so I did not get involved in anything. Bride had been married before, son self-sufficient ... both had households ... for wedding gifts, most people just bought 'gift cards' for them to 'get what they wanted or needed' - (still two households). I would have NEVER told DDnL#2's mother 'how to do something' ... not even telling DDnL#2 - she planned the wedding herself, with the help of the 2 friends (in their wedding). Short rehearsal and then everybody went out to eat; we paid for all but 5 dinners. They (bride's parents paid for their meals and that of DDnL#2's sister and her family of 3). No problem, we would have paid for them; but, DDnL#2 said 'this is how they want it'. No problems. We like her parents a lot but they are just a very quiet couple who keep their heads down, work hard, and go home. Pretty much like Louis and I do. We generally go out to eat with them at least once while we are out there. Tami, her mama, and I will generally have lunch together one day. They are wonderful people and "Junior" helps our son when he needs something 'fixed'. He loves my son as if he were his own son. I can't ask for better people to be 'in my son's life'. I think he was a 'little' surprised when Will went to him to 'ask for Tami's hand in marriage'. He told him, 'as long as you never hurt her' (like he 'ex' did). That will never happen either. As Louis taught them growing up ... you cannot 'keep 2 women happy at the same time'. Step away from a situation if there is another man involved ... or else someone could end up DEAD.

My in-laws lived out-of-state - never a real issue about anything ... even 'holidays'. We worked around plans of family and we all were home with our parents (sisters) and then 'each' sister had 'plans' with their in-laws. My DMnL was a 'nanny' by profession, therefor I wanted 'her' to come help me when by babies were born (the 2nd time, I was 25 miles away from my mother). My Mother was not a 'real baby person' ... she liked 'children' to be 'seen, not heard'. Don't get me wrong ... she loved her 6 grandchildren and was very proud of them. She and Daddy were traveling all 3 times I was pregnant. When I had a problem with my 1st pregnancy ... I 'wanted' MY Mama! I do not really remember what, if anything, my in-laws did during that time. My parents came 'home' early from a trip they were taking.

Michele - I hate to say this (only because I know from what a friend was telling me) ... when a "Mama" is that involved in their 'child's life' ... she will continue being 'in that child's life'. Her situation was just the opposite from yours. Mother of the bride was the intrusive one. They ended up divorcing w/child. She has run things with that grandchild to the point that my friend and her husband have to 'go to court' to justify 'why' they come visit son when he has his child. "Ex" does NOT want him to take the child 'out-of-town' to visit with his parents. To say that it is a 'cluster-f***' is being 'polite' ... . It just makes everybody 'hate' being around their grown children. "CHILDREN" being the 'operative' word. My son and DDnL#1 live next door to us, not up under us ... what they do is 'their business' ... how they raise their children; while I might not necessary 'agree', those girls are THEIR children, I raised mine. The grandchildren are growing up (quickly) and they will visit when they want to. Middle granddaughter rarely comes down until Taylor comes home. That's 'ok' ... she's 16 - the 'world' as we know it, isn't the way she sees things. At 16, I could not wait to get my DL. She doesn't want to. If she doesn't get it by the end of this month ... she'll have to wait until she is 18. In a way, I can understand her reluctant to drive. We were involved in a roll-over collision after I had a 'seizure'. It was not a grand mal. She told her Daddy that we were talking, then I started staring off, when I did, I ran off the pavement, she touched the wheel to guide up back up on the pavement and I came to, and grabbed the wheel and over-corrected. A week or so ago, a 17-year-old Senior (not from this county; but, the next one died in a collision because 'of texting and driving'. Such a 'sad' situation. While she did not personally know this girl, she knew others who did. I don't post to their FB pages. I 'might' share something with them. But, I 'only' post a 'like' or other 'emotion' if they post something that I see. If I want to say something to them, I will 'email' them, 'call' them. I am not going to be caught in the middle. Been there, done that. The only thing I did was to 'tell' my DDnL#1 that being the 'stepmother' means that you are NOT the mother. Even 'if' you have a close relationship. My DDnL#1 was a fabulous 'mother-figure' during my DOGD's teen years. She did 'run' a few things by me ... to get 'my opinion' and when I disagreed and told her 'why' ... she understood and then agreed. Sometimes you just 'have' to 'trust your children' to make decisions on their 'own and on the fly'. That's how they 'learn' about life. Hopefully, they won't make decisions that they have been taught better than to do. Teenagers 'test the waters' they 'fuzz the lines, they occasionally 'face-plant' themselves on the cement. At that point, about all you can do is 'hold them and let the get it out of their system'.

Sounds like Maria is a freaking "Drama Queen". It's a 'real' shame that Denise does not see this and say something. BALK!!!! RUN!!! I'm glad that my DMnL was never intrusive, nor were my parents. Denise does not need this "If I can't get my (Maria's) way, I'm just going to take my marbles home." How childish of her to decide that the place is 'not good enough for HER family'. What a pompous "B"!!! Can I ride up and 'kick some @$$'; on my way up to Allie's?

OK, I 'know' ... "Opinions are like @$$-O; we all have them."

Chow!!!! ... or is that 'chew'?

Lenora
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Well power came back on around 9:30 last night.Tom just tried leaving for work and the road is blocked.do back he came.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Didn't make my Greek zucchini tonight as I remembered I had something else planned so will do that tomorrow. I did make Pineapple Soft Serve however and it was delicious! 2 ingredients - frozen fresh pineapple and coconut milk - you have to use a strong blender or food processor and it takes a while for the pineapple to actually start getting smooth but it is worth it. I probably used about 1 cup of pineapple and 1/2 cup or so of coconut milk (you just pour it in until the soft serve is the consistency you want). There was some leftover so I'll see how it freezes - I can always pop it back in the food processor. I found this recipe on Listotic.com. She also has a coffee version on there.

My little bush tomato plant that was doing so well and that I had been eating the tomatoes off of I think is giving up the ghost. I'm not going to try to baby it but have decided to pull it and plant some carrots instead. My yellow pear tomato plant is enormous and loaded with little tomatoes - I'm sure I'll be sharing those in the neighborhood. Next year I'll try starting from seed instead of buying plants. I read about starting them in egg shells and then just planting the egg shell and seedling in the garden.

I read something new I am going to try for lunch - wrap a piece of turkey around a dill pickle spear.

PT again tomorrow so I'm off to do my exercises.

Gloria in WA
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    DamitJanit wrote: »
    M, I am still constantly amazed at the distances you ride. I just can’t imagine biking that far.

Thanks ... and the funny thing is, I try not to think about the distances or they'd scare me. The trick is to break it up into easily manageable portions and just to do that distance ... and again ... and again ... :)

Monday again! Monday's are probably my busiest days. I bus into town to go to work for an hour, then walk to university, then attend a 2-hour tutorial, study for a while, then a 1-hour lecture, study for a while, then the gym, and wrapping it up with more studying.

Today my husband and I just did the spinning class at the gym. 54 minutes and an approximate 23 km. I kind of took it easy because I'm still coughing a little.

And now ... finishing my assignment. It is due to be submitted at 11:45 pm.