Why am I not losing weight

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    Yes around my belly but I have also have had 3 c-section and don't know if that has a lot to do with it either

Dear OP,

Is there a reason you have not answered the question asked several times, are you weighing your food (in grams or oz, not using cups/measuring spoons/packet weights/serving sizes)? A lot of people are looking for a yes or no on this, because the answer to this question really changes the advice people will give you.

Before I started weighing food in grams I thought I was accurately measuring. But it can be very surprising when you actually weigh it out, especially for calorie dense foods like rice, pasta, cheese, peanut butter... A lot of packets also do not contain the weight stated on the packaging, so you can't rely on that being accurate. If you don't already do this, it could be really helpful for you.

So are you using a food weighing scale to weigh all solid foods?

Actually I could not tell if people were seeing my posts or not first and then I seen that they were they kept asking me if have been measuring and weighing my food I have told them yes I have been measuring and weighing my food and I know how to weigh my food and measure my food because I had to because I was of diabetic when I was pregnant with my last child not that that matters but I also took me a minute to answer them back because I'm not always on the Community page and I couldn't tell if they were seen my replies

Yet you still have not answered the units you're using when weighing your food. You were able to quote and respond to every aspect of the one post that told you what you wanted to hear but keep evading a question that's been asked multiple times even after quoting the poster.

Okay ive repeted this a few time now yes EVERYTHING I measure and weigh is in cups measuring spoon oz solid on food scale and liquids in measuring spoon and cups depending on the liquid cheese in oz and nuts in 1/4 cups

I'm quoting this because the last few replies seem to have missed it.

My next thought aside from weighing all solids on your scale (as pointed out, those nuts could be throwing the numbers off) is that you are using correct entries. The database is largely user created and full of incorrect information. And I also wonder if you might be using generic entries for recipes, things like lasagne.

It would be a lot easier to eliminate issues if you opened your diary.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    Asibaris wrote: »
    I agree with few of the above. 1200 is waaaay too little. From my knowledge you need at least 1600 kcal to function properly, regardless of your height and weight.

Err... I'm 5'2". And I'm small now (healthy weight). Your minimum to "function properly" is my maintenance if I'm actually being semi-active. If I went sedentary, my maintenance would be even less than that.

Minimum recommended for women is 1200 calories, men is roughly 1500 calories.

I may not be at my ideal weight yet, but at 5'2" my maintenance at "ideal" weight of 130lb is 1340 and that's if I laid in bed all day. At 155lb and ok I'm extremely active (like beyond any settings on here) my maintenance is around 2500-3000 Calories a day, I've been losing weight for almost 2 years now at an average of around 1lb/week and it's very rare that I'll eat below 2000 Calories.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    I agree with few of the above. 1200 is waaaay too little. From my knowledge you need at least 1600 kcal to function properly, regardless of your height and weight.

Err... I'm 5'2". And I'm small now (healthy weight). Your minimum to "function properly" is my maintenance if I'm actually being semi-active. If I went sedentary, my maintenance would be even less than that.

I may not be at my ideal weight yet, but at 5'2" my maintenance at "ideal" weight of 130lb is 1340 and that's if I laid in bed all day. At 155lb and ok I'm extremely active (like beyond any settings on here) my maintenance is around 2500-3000 Calories a day, I've been losing weight for almost 2 years now at an average of around 1lb/week and it's very rare that I'll eat below 2000 Calories.

I was specifically commenting on the 1600 calorie portion, not the 1200 portion, on TDEE. [Edit; To specify why I posted my reply, it was because the original user in their quote said regardless of height or weight, they said you need at least 1600kcal to even function properly. Not true.]

Where do you get 1340 from, by the way, BMR?
  • annarotica
    annarotica Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    mrspett323 wrote: »
    1200 calories is the reason. You are under eating. You need to research TDEE VS BMR. BMR are the calories you need just for your body to lie in a coma. TDEE is calculated with exercise and the calories your body needs to sustain all of this. You calorie intake is way below what it needs to be. Up your intake and you will see a difference. I thought eat less and exercise more was key until my Trainer educated me. I gave it a try and it worked. Find a TDEE calculator and put your numbers in. Good luck!

Help me understand the idea that she's not eating enough calories to lose weight. Weight loss is just calories in, calories out, right? If she's eating 1200 calories a day and burning that and more (much, much more it seems), where is the energy coming from if it's not coming from her fat stores? Shouldn't she definitely be losing weight?
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

I was specifically commenting on the 1600 calorie portion, not the 1200 portion, on TDEE. [Edit; To specify why I posted my reply, it was because the original user in their quote said regardless of height or weight, they said you need at least 1600kcal to even function properly. Not true.]

From some calculator online. I had it in my head at the time rather than have a set deficit I'd eat at maintenance for the weight I wanted to be, and a calculator had it come out as 1340 plus activity Calories. Turns out that I'm currently not that bothered by weight loss and want to eat to fuel my activity which I enjoy. Weight loss is just a side effect now of those days when I don't have a chance of eating my maintenance Calories (a few days last week that was around 3500)

• PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

From some calculator online. I had it in my head at the time rather than have a set deficit I'd eat at maintenance for the weight I wanted to be, and a calculator had it come out as 1340 plus activity Calories. Turns out that I'm currently not that bothered by weight loss and want to eat to fuel my activity which I enjoy. Weight loss is just a side effect now of those days when I don't have a chance of eating my maintenance Calories (a few days last week that was around 3500)

Age does also factor into this, but 10/10 believing you chose one of the ones that underhits hard. Your maintenance wouldn't be that low (even at older ages, where metabolism starts to go down a bit), you should be good.

Your age (peeked at profile), 5'3", 130lbs.

Sedentary (desk job, sitting around all day) shows... 1450, 1390, 1450, 1450,
    Light Exercise 1660, 1513, 1690, 1662

Same stats, but my age (26)...

Sedentary; 1558, 1562, 1495, 1559,
    Light Exercise; 1786, 1822, 1625, 1786

For anything asking how many workouts, how many minutes, I straight up put '0' for sake of testing this. I've entered no body fat percentages when asked (which also makes it more accurate). Sedentary is serious couch potato business. xD

Edit:
    As a note, I googled random calculators, and use started going down the first page. I haven't checked any other sites in particular... I'm curious what MFP or LoseIt would come up with.
  • stacey73casarez
    stacey73casarez Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    annarotica wrote: »
    mrspett323 wrote: »
    1200 calories is the reason. You are under eating. You need to research TDEE VS BMR. BMR are the calories you need just for your body to lie in a coma. TDEE is calculated with exercise and the calories your body needs to sustain all of this. You calorie intake is way below what it needs to be. Up your intake and you will see a difference. I thought eat less and exercise more was key until my Trainer educated me. I gave it a try and it worked. Find a TDEE calculator and put your numbers in. Good luck!

Help me understand the idea that she's not eating enough calories to lose weight. Weight loss is just calories in, calories out, right? If she's eating 1200 calories a day and burning that and more (much, much more it seems), where is the energy coming from if it's not coming from her fat stores? Shouldn't she definitely be losing weight?

She is underestimating her logging, pure and simple (and has admitted to using measuring cups for cheese & nuts instead of weighing).

What the person stated is called 'starvation mode' and is false. Starvation mode isn't a thing in the way these people are using it, otherwise people with anorexia wouldn't have the requirement for being underweight - they'd magically be regaining. People starving in other countries also wouldn't be so skinny.

It is indeed calories in, calories out. <3

(Edit: On that note, by the way, those who are starting off with a lot to lose also end up losing muscle mass. It isn't just fat you are losing, which is why exercise is recommended... I have the dreaded 'skinny fat' due to this. If you start off heavy enough to have 'extra skin' problems, the exercising & working on retaining muscle mass can actually help a good bit when it comes to the extra skin, too! My upper body looks fabulous despite 100lb weightloss. Dem arms)

Actually I said I eat about 3oz of cheese weighted in food scale and about 1/4 cups of nuts but I don't eat nuts all day every day i eat them for a snack and may once a week and if I eat nuts for a snake that's all I eat
  • stacey73casarez
    Options
    Thank you for all this information I have look at everyone ones post and took in a lot of information I'm going to try all this advice and see if it help me out thanks again everyone......
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Sorry double post, lost that first one
  • stacey73casarez
    Options
    Yes around my belly but I have also have had 3 c-section and don't know if that has a lot to do with it either

Dear OP,

Is there a reason you have not answered the question asked several times, are you weighing your food (in grams or oz, not using cups/measuring spoons/packet weights/serving sizes)? A lot of people are looking for a yes or no on this, because the answer to this question really changes the advice people will give you.

Before I started weighing food in grams I thought I was accurately measuring. But it can be very surprising when you actually weigh it out, especially for calorie dense foods like rice, pasta, cheese, peanut butter... A lot of packets also do not contain the weight stated on the packaging, so you can't rely on that being accurate. If you don't already do this, it could be really helpful for you.

So are you using a food weighing scale to weigh all solid foods?

Actually I could not tell if people were seeing my posts or not first and then I seen that they were they kept asking me if have been measuring and weighing my food I have told them yes I have been measuring and weighing my food and I know how to weigh my food and measure my food because I had to because I was of diabetic when I was pregnant with my last child not that that matters but I also took me a minute to answer them back because I'm not always on the Community page and I couldn't tell if they were seen my replies

Yet you still have not answered the units you're using when weighing your food. You were able to quote and respond to every aspect of the one post that told you what you wanted to hear but keep evading a question that's been asked multiple times even after quoting the poster.

Okay ive repeted this a few time now yes EVERYTHING I measure and weigh is in cups measuring spoon oz solid on food scale and liquids in measuring spoon and cups depending on the liquid cheese in oz and nuts in 1/4 cups

That's the FIRST time you've mentioned the units. Why are you measuring nuts in cups and not grams or even ounces when you use that for other things? Nuts are extremely calorie dense. Weigh everything on your scale in GRAMS as others have stated above. Based on your responses, the methods you use, and the nuts alone I can guarantee you're eating much more than you think.

I measure nuts in a cup because I did got to an nutritionist about seven years ago and that's the way they always told me to measure but that was seven years things change
  • stacey73casarez
    Options
    me0231 wrote: »
    OP, I don't understand your replies. You posted and wanted to know why you're not losing weight, people have told you. If you're not willing to make any changes and you feel your logging is perfect then don't change anything. You are an adult. But without any changes, your weight is probably not magically going to fall off. People are trying to help, if you're not willing to accept it and critically look at your habits then there is no point in posting.

I taking every body's advice very seriously and yes I am an adult that's why I asked the question and I know my weights not going to magically fall off that's why I go to the gym twice a day but you probably didn't read that part either and the part that I was saying yeah I'm going to try all this advice to see if it helps and it might help if you would read through all the posts to see what I put two instead of just jumping to conclusions thinking that I'm not listening to what people are telling me
  • stacey73casarez
    Options
    Okay I'm not going to post anymore for awhile I'm going to try out all this advice ....thanks again everyone for you advice
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,542 Member
    Options
    @stacey73casarez Good luck, and thanks for reading and listening :)