Children's nutrition help?

Options
2»

Replies

• alyangel123
    alyangel123 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    My 9 year old son has his annual dr. appointment next week and this is on my 'to talk about' list. The kid seriously just doesn't care about eating and if I don't get after him he would go all day without food. He was labeled failure to thrive as an infant and has always been small, and unfortunately this is carrying over into his older years sigh.... I'm especially concerned because he needs to get tested for ADHD (he has every symptom of it, so the test will just be a formality), and I've heard that most of the meds are appetite suppressants ugh. We might have to put him on Pediasure or something. So no advice but I totally get where you're at!

My son is medicated for adhd. Although it suppresses appetite, he has increased his appetite before he takes his meds and in the evening. Before, part of the lack of eating issue was due to inattentiveness or the inability to slow his mind down to want to eat (not as fun as other things). You may be surprised. We make sure calories count. So, at school sometimes we will throw a cookie in his lunch for extra calories to entice him to eat something. (Schools here hate sugar in lunches but I tell them to not intervene /take it away). He consumes the bulk of his eating between 7 and 8am, and 6 and 730pm. We remind him often though to drink water throughout the day though.

Oh my, I didn't even think there may be a connection but that makes perfect sense! He seriously cannot sit still and stands at the dinner table (or is under it :p ). We pulled him from traditional school last year and he does an online program through a local district now, so he has the freedom to move around and not be around other kids, which is a trigger. Being around him all the time now though makes me realize how bad it is-both with his attention issues and then his food issues. He has his appointment on Thursday with the pediatrician and I'm getting a referral for the testing, (pediatrician recommended it last year but we had bad insurance that wouldn't cover it), and I'll for sure bring this up, thanks so much!

Have you tried the little yoga seats? You blow them up, they have little sensory soft spikes on them and they can wiggle on them and move around. Theyre good fun and my boys liked them for a while. Weighted or compression vests made a massive difference too, but you can use a backpack with water bottles and fun toys. Mine love those, they think they're all cool wearing them and tell each other to put them on haha they went from, not tolerating each other and minimal sign language, to full sentences and to best friends in less than a year.

Also there's been a change and you don't even need a disorder to get behavioural therapy now. Just a signed Drs note about it. They learn all sorts of school stuff with their therapists and have a blast. It gives you a break, and they have some cool techniques to help you, they're always in your corner even if they don't fully agree with you. Plus who doesnt need a backup sometimes with these kinds of kids? It's made mine n the kids relationship so much stronger and I've learnt a lot about them and how to meet their needs Anand get their education up to scratch.