Just starting Keto and at a total loss.

Options

Replies

• Pumpkin34_160
    Pumpkin34_160 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm day three keto. But how simple is this.

Fried eggs (2) for breakfasted fried in the bacon fat. And two strips of bacon. Dinner 6 oz of steak cooked inside with a little garlic and Irish butter and 3 cups broccoli and cauliflower steamed with Irish butter. ( eyeball amount their so hard to size.)

You don't have to get to technical with the food. Start simple and when you start getting tired of plain veggies and steaks then Learn some easy stuff.

And from what I learned it's 5% carbs 25% protein and 70 % fat

It's all trial and error for us newbies but from what I've seen and heard so far it seems like the best fit.

Good luck. Add me if you would like :)
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    jospen83 wrote: »
    I am so stinkin' sick & tired of hearing about the whole 'Keto'/low-carb diet phase! It's a sham the diet industry has people hooked on, just like the low-fat craze in the '80's and '90's. Nothing healthy about doing keto and low carb. In fact, being in a ketogenic state is actually dangerous. Why do you think diabetics die when they get ketogenic? Non diabetics aren't immune to the dangers of keto genics either. Carbs are absolutely necessary and healthy. People run into trouble when they OVEReat carbs or eat the wrong type/too many carbs. Overeating any of the macronutrients will lead the body to storing it as fat.

^^THIS, so this^^ A keto diet is really not a magic pill.

I keep getting woo'd for this, but seriously... a keto diet is not some magical way to lose weight. Following a keto diet... with a calorie deficit... will help you lose weight. But ANY kind of diet structure, with a calorie deficit, will do it. If the OP is "at a total loss" I want to make sure she knows that a simple CICO is also an option for her.

I can't really speak for anyone else, but it could be that a lot of keto/low carbers totally understand it's not magical. The OP didn't suggest that either she or the individual recommending it to her felt it was magical or anything beyond CICO. I often see anti-keto comments on these threads from people who toss that assumption in there, when it was never implied. The OP's client simply found a way of eating that worked well for him & his girlfriend & enthusiastically shared it with the OP.

I once commented that a low carb diet was the key to my success & another commenter assumed I somehow meant carb calories are different from other calories. There are other factors that keto/low carbers appreciate beyond calories, like appetite & satiety.

Fair enough, thank you. I realize I am generalizing. (And I have done keto in the past) I see many, many Keto threads where people are so focused on the macros with no mention at all of a calorie deficit - as if they can lose weight purely by certain macros. That's where my mention of "magic" comes in. OP had questions about macros, and no mention of target calories, so i was "triggered."
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,955 Member
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    I am so stinkin' sick & tired of hearing about the whole 'Keto'/low-carb diet phase! It's a sham the diet industry has people hooked on, just like the low-fat craze in the '80's and '90's. Nothing healthy about doing keto and low carb. In fact, being in a ketogenic state is actually dangerous. Why do you think diabetics die when they get ketogenic? Non diabetics aren't immune to the dangers of keto genics either. Carbs are absolutely necessary and healthy. People run into trouble when they OVEReat carbs or eat the wrong type/too many carbs. Overeating any of the macronutrients will lead the body to storing it as fat.

I am so sick & tired of people failing to understand that ketosis and ketoacidosis are not the same.

http://www.healthline.com/health/ketosis-vs-ketoacidosis

That's probably why she got the "woo." Not because of the bit about keto not being "magical." That's true. It's the misinformation about ketosis being dangerous. I'm tired of it, too, but it does sound similar, and it is about ketones. One is healthy, and the other is deadly, but can only go wrong if multiple systems are failing.

Keto is the "it thing" right now. But like I said, it's a tool. Very effective for many, but also not perfect for everyone.
    And...pssssst...you still have to count calories... :wink:
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    @GlassAngyl It seems like you might benefit from this:

25bjqmpdizn5.png

I don't do keto, but people I know who do eat low-carb veggies (like broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, etc.), a moderate amount of protein from meat and lots of fat (avocados, nuts, oils, etc.).
    Ruatine wrote: »
    @GlassAngyl It seems like you might benefit from this:

25bjqmpdizn5.png

I don't do keto, but people I know who do eat low-carb veggies (like broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, etc.), a moderate amount of protein from meat and lots of fat (avocados, nuts, oils, etc.).

This is helpful! I was wondering where fats come from without having to fry everything..
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options

I don't believe it's for everyone or some magic fix.. I will try anything that will help me not feel hungry. I use to never feel hungry. I would skip several days of eating because I'd forget. Back then I wasn't fat either. But now I can easily eat over 3k worth of calories and feel frustrated because I'm STILL hungry! That's messed up! That isn't normal! If keto will help me not feel hungry, it's my miracle diet.. I wanted to go vegetarian.. I'm not a fan of meat and I don't like most nuts... I also feel kinda sad for the animals because they all have such distinct personalities.. But that failed the first week. So far with eating mostly meat and veggies (and potatoes..