How do you stop yourself from doing the wrong thing you want to do?

Options
I often find myself in the grocery store, staring at the box of cookies, knowing that if I buy the box of cookies, I will get it home, and then eat the whole thing basically by myself over the next day or two. My wife might eat one. Probably not, I'll probably eat them all before she gets to them. I know it's the wrong thing to do. I know that I won't feel good after eating it, I'll have to take an antacid just to get to sleep that night. I know that I'll be putting on weight that I didn't even really enjoy the process of adding the calories. I know I'm going to get home and start eating those cookies like a starving man.

I'm not starving, I'm fat. I'm not deluding myself, I know it's objectively and subjectively a mistake to buy the cookies, and to eat them. I get a little pleasure while eating, but it's the pleasure of throwing caution to the winds. It's a big "F you" to the world that says I shouldn't do it...but really it's a big "F you" to myself, the only one who really cares if I'm fatter or skinnier, fitter or less fit.

It's...perverse. I do it because it's perverse, but I'm only hurting myself. But I'm going to do it. I will carry the box of cookies to checkout, while my mind is saying, "This is a mistake." But I take it out of the basket, I put it on the conveyer, I carry it home, and I start eating.

How do you...not? How do you not buy the cookies?

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Always have a detailed list when you go to the grocery store and force yourself to stick to that list. If there's nothing on your list in the cookie aisle, then no reason to even look at them. I hear you, though, it's tough. You just have to power through it.
  • michaelbriones
    michaelbriones Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Only one thing matters in my opinion! HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT?!?!? (the goal you're trying to attain that is).
    That should be enough to stop you every time, though difficult at some times just keep your eye on the prize and the cravings will go away.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Just avoid the aisles with this type of food in them. It is common for supermarkets to put all the less healthy products in the same aisles. Alternatively, only allow yourself to buy cookies every few weeks and once they are gone, they are gone. Another alternative is to just buy individually portioned cookies so you will be pause to think before gorging on the whole lot. Find a way in which you can still enjoy them occasionally, but in a way that is not going to sabotage your weight loss efforts. Or find healthier alternatives that give you the same satisfaction such as homemade popcorn.
  • XXcookiepussXX
    XXcookiepussXX Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've literally asked myself "do I want this more than I want my goal?".

Answer was mostly no.
  • whoffmann
    whoffmann Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement and advice. I have tried so, so many of these things. I KNOW what I should not do. But I feel old and the world feels dark, and it's something that I can choose, I think. That I can choose for myself.

Some days, weeks, months are easier. But then the cycle drops again.
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    One thing that really helped me when I was just starting out was online grocery shopping & store pickups. It kept me out of the store. I distinctly recall the first time I went back into a grocery store about a month later - I had anxiety walking through the bakery section, accompanied by vivid fantasies of buying a 12 pack of mini cupcakes & eating them all in the car. It was a tough wake up call.

Other than that, it's just been practice, practice, practice. The more you practice resisting, the better you'll get at it. Hang in there.
  • NerdyNesa
    NerdyNesa Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I second online grocery shopping. It really helps you from feeling as much of a temptation to buy things like cookies. Even if you do start to feel tempted, you realize you can't get them right away and by the time you would get them the craving will have subsided.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Buy the cookies sometime. Why deprive yourself? When you're done losing weight you're going to have to learn to live with eating in maintenance. Learn now to make the cookies fit in your day. Rather than later, if you haven't learned that skill, you'll gain everything back and start staring at cookies again.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Always eat before you go. You may notice your shopping habits change quite significantly when you don't have that nagging at you too. The advice of only shopping around the outside of the store is usually good advice, most of the stuff you need (fruits, veggies, dairy, etc) will be along the outside. Self-discipline is hard, and saying no to something we so obviously want can sometimes seem worse than the berating you know you're going to give yourself later. Do it anyway. Start to practice and learn how to get around your own mental process. Perhaps giving yourself a challenge? Don't buy the cookies this week and you can buy them next week. Completely cutting out the sweets and things we like that aren't necessarily all that good for us isn't always necessary, some can do it and some can't, so try working on some kind of compromise.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't even go down the cookie/chip/chocolate isle. And when the store strategically places them on the outer isles near the checkout i put on my invisible set of blinders :lol: