Excess Skin???

Options
I was wondering how many of you have lost 100lbs???? Do you have excess skin??? Wouldn't mind seeing some photos of some stomachs of woman who have lost all that weight... the excess skin myth is one that really scares me... are there any tips/trips that you can do to prevent it? I have been using bio oil on my stomach... hoping it will help but I know that is more for stretch marks.. which I don't care about... just skin.

Replies

• jackieg218
    jackieg218 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Well I am 64 down and I have quite a bit extra skin. However, I am 43 so my skin is starting to lose its elasticity from age alone, then compounded with the loss... Yea it hangs. Working out does help, but I can't work out under my chin, my armpits, etc. however, for ME, it's totally worth it. I wanted to get healthy and I have done that... So mission accomplished and worth every sag and fold lol
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I have excess skin. I'm also 41 so my skin is not as elastic as well. Loose skin varies from person to person & can take up to 2 years to shrink as much as it's going to. Altogether I am glad to be rid of the weight & while I'm not happy about the skin, it doesn't affect my mobility or health & I can cover most of it up with clothing. Once I lose the last 30 lbs, I will be seeing a surgeon to get rid of my tummy skin & the horrible looseness under my chin, but I'll deal with my saggy thighs & bat wings which could be worse.
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I am still young (21) do you think mine will shrink?
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options

It likely will, but genetics play a large part too.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I am aiming for around a 100lb loss total about halfway there and no excess skin. I believe because we are young as long as the weight is lost in a healthy slow way it shouldn't become a problem
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options

It likely will, but genetics play a large part too.

Youth will help you a lot, drink plenty of water and eat as clean as possible. You shouldn't have too much
  • HarrietSmeltzer1
    HarrietSmeltzer1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am 70 years old i have kept 80 pounds off for ten years when i first lost weight i had excess skin but i stopped losing and just stayed the same i golfed rode bike walk dance stay active and try to eat sensible i use exfoliating gloves when i take a bath and try to keep my skin healthy i than put cream on that has collagen in it after i bathe i make sure i use it heavier on top of arms kegs and stomach and rear i think losing to fast makes the skin healthier you can look at my before and after pics i only lost 6 so far with my fiitness but loat 80 and kept off ten years i am totally into taking care of my skin good luck dont maje losing a race be kind to your body i also take q10 internally a pill also q10 creams can help maintain elastic y in skin outward do searches for collegean creans
  • ShrinkingMuslimah
    ShrinkingMuslimah Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've lost 120lbs, have about 100lbs more to go, and I already have excess skin.

I'm in my 20s, and in my personal experience (keeping in mind that every body is different and what applies to me may not apply to you) with the amount of weight I have lost and need to loose, I don't think my youth is going to be able to make a huge difference in the excess skin. I already have lots of excess and I still have a long way to go.

However I believe someone my age or younger with less to loose than me, they shouldn't have as much of a problem with excess skin.

I've heard good things about moisturizing too, I use coconut oil myself.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    At your age it will probably shrink quite a bit over time. However if you want to oprtimze you results, do not tan. Tanning is about the worst thing you can do for your skin. I see a lot of young women with deep tans, and lizard skin.
  • Ann_Marie_2x_MORE
    Ann_Marie_2x_MORE Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Absolutely!!! Unfortunately I'm 43, so I'm expecting lose skin.
  • ThereseIShere
    ThereseIShere Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have heard that it takes 2 years for you to know if excess skin with retract. I have lost almost 100 and don't have any "yet" and am 39.
  • CountryGirl8542
    Options
    Thanks everyone... I am hoping my skin shrinks.... I am not sure why I am so bothered by the thought of having excess skin but I am doing my best to get over it.
  • bymyslf892
    bymyslf892 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If you lose weight by counting calories, doing cardio, and weight training excess skin should not be a problem. Weight training is key. Just follow MFP find a good lifting program and make sure to get some cardio in. As long as you don't lose weight ridiculously fast you should be golden!
  • CountryGirl8542
    Options
    If you lose weight by counting calories, doing cardio, and weight training excess skin should not be a problem. Weight training is key. Just follow MFP find a good lifting program and make sure to get some cardio in. As long as you don't lose weight ridiculously fast you should be golden!

I have been doing the 30 day shred for my workouts as well as the c25k (running).
  • amberlee1800721
    Options
    I am 28 I have lost a total of 92 pounds although my ticker says otherwise. I didn't start using my fitness pal at first. But I have to say that my skin is not as bad as I had thought it would be. I still have about 20 pounds more to loose and as of now I can see myself being ok with my body. It's a 100% better then it was before! The worst part for me is my stomach but I believe that is because I have 3 children. Good Luck. Just remember don't let this discourage you from hitting your goals. There are always options available if you need them :)
  • lovelyx091
    lovelyx091 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 22 and have over 150lbs to lose... I'm almost certain I will definitely have excess skin, but I'd rather have that than this huge belly lol.
  • seruki
    seruki Posts: 10
    Options
    http://www.ezimba.com/work/130730C/ezimba11537111695000.jpg - Copy and paste this for picture of my stomach.

Okay. I started off at 230 pounds. I am now 145ish (not sure, haven't weighed myself in a while but I know I've lost more) and this is what I am left with. Lost the bulk of my weight between December 2011 and April 2012. Have been trying to very slowly lose the rest of it so that my skin doesn't become even worse. I have not really tried any lotions or anything. My skin has gotten better since I've lost weight, though. Trust me. It used to be a million times worse than this. But this is still way better than when I had a giant stomach, I think! I was sitting in this picture, by the way. Most people do better than this.

It's very, very important to have a ton of water the whole time you're trying to lose weight. Not soda, not juice, water. Water or even green tea. Something good for you that isn't loaded with sugar. Toning exercises will also help. There's something on Amazon, Collagen Types 1 & 3, in capsule form, that may speed up the process of loose skin being repaired. I started taking that recently. It's helped my acne go away. I get acne issues with some of my medicine and it cleared it up.

I hope this helps.
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    When I lost a lot of weight, I was getting my hair done one day and noticed that the back of my neck looked horrid, and it made my confidence plummet. Please, don't let it bother you too much though. This is to be expected to some extent.

Keep working out, toning, and things will change. If not, save up and tackle the area that stresses you the most. I have over 100 pounds left to lose and I know I will have excess skin. I am all ready checking into costs of plastic surgery but... I still want to wait a year or two once I've lost the weight to see if I truly will need / want it.
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have lost close to 180 pounds...i still have about another 40-50 pounds to go...i dont have a photo of my stomach but do have one from the rear of my upper body flexing...you can see i have excess skin in this pic...but of course i dont walk around like this normally...so it doesnt look this bad. I have been told if you get to a low body fat % then the skin wont appear as bad...so thats what i am aiming to do...get under 20% BF....i still have a way to go and am quite a long way to go with that. I may still need surgery i will make a decision on that when closer to goal.

13759594_3991_zps643ae3d0.jpg
  • losindood
    losindood Posts: 36 Member
    Options

I'm not sure what you're basing this on. I don't think there is any 1 answer to the question. People are different. Bodies are different. I have excess skin and I've done everything you've mentioned.