Losing fat and gaining muscle is possible...

Options
For you hardcore guys that are in this for awhile please stop telling people its unlikely. It is highly unlikely for people like you who are near optimum. But for us beginners its really easy with diet and new to weight lifting.

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Ok
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Who said it wasn't?
  • giburns5388
    giburns5388 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Its mentioned everytime it is brought up it this forum.
  • giburns5388
    Options
    1) Lift weights and use a proper progressive programme
    2) You are unlikely to gain muscle and lose fat. Pick a goal.

From the second post on this thread.

Look at the girls pics sge posted. Its is the furtgest thibg grom unlikely that she would be able to obtain ger goals. Why bother discouragibg her.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You mean like recomp? Of course that is possible. Or do you mean in a deficit? I mean, it can be possible for newbs to lose weight and gain some muscle who are more significantly overweight.. but it's about expectations some people have... will someone be gaining significant size this way? No. For example..if an overweight female comes in with very poor glute development and expects it to transform into a bubble eating in a deficit... well...
  • sardelsa
    Options
    I actually wouldn't recommend recomp at this point to that particular person you are referring to.. mostly because she will get discouraged with the slow results. Can it be possible? Maybe.. but honestly I would say that is less than optimal given her stats and bodyfat % and it could take a really long time.

It is not about being discouraging.. it is about giving people the right path to get where they need to go. And Trigden is right, people want everything all at once "I want to be huge with abs!" or "I want a small waist and huge glutes!" well.. unfortunately it doesn't happen that way... pick one goal... abs or glutes and go from there.
  • giburns5388
    Options
    Stop talking about a recomp to new people. You may be at a stage where thats the only way. But for bew people its not the only way to lose fat and gain muscle.
  • sardelsa
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Stop talking about a recomp to new people. You may be at a stage where thats the only way. But for bew people its not the only way to lose fat and gain muscle.

So what is another way?

Like I mentioned, while newb gains are a thing... they are not very significant to make transforming physique changes. It is about being realistic here.

Going from small glutes to huge glutes... if that is the OPs goal, then telling her "ya it is possible just eat at a deficit" then she does and doesn't see the results she wants...how is that helping her?

Besides, my advice was to eat at a small deficit, lean out and then go from there. She could reach her goal, retain muscle (maybe build some) and be happy and not need to bulk, sure. But OP stated "I want to bulk up my legs and glutes" very clearly in her post. As a female, significant gains in size while at a deficit are just not realistic. Otherwise, why would bodybuilders need to bulk at all?

Many of us have been there... we've been through it.. so we are sharing our experiences.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    For you hardcore guys that are in this for awhile please stop telling people its unlikely. It is highly unlikely for people like you who are near optimum. But for us beginners its really easy with diet and new to weight lifting.

You're only mentioning half of what we say is, not unlikely, but impossible. That is, gaining muscle in a calorie deficit. Of course you can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time! When we say it's impossible to gain muscle, it's addressed to people that are in a severe calorie deficit and say their goal is to lose fat and gain muscle while in said deficit. Plain old not happening, newbie or not.
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options

Being overweight myself, I have to agree with you. I've seen the post of "you won't gain muscle mass on a deficit" so many times so I assumed it was right and exercised just for fat loss. Pre-pregnancy I had not biked in over 9 months and weight 210lbs or lower. My son is now 1 and I lost weight while being in quite a deficit and started biking again after stopping for over 2 years and started squats and my pre-pregnancy clothes almost all fit and my thighs are getting really hard. So I'm wondering if the opposite could be true?
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    OP are you speaking from personal experience? If so, I can relate to an extent. I have absolutely made good strength gains in the gym in the beginning of starting a diet/exercise routine, and ultimately seen much more definition. But I would also agree that there is a limit while in a deficit.

Perhaps it is that "newbie gains" are underemphasized here. They made me pretty happy. Maybe the big improvements I saw in the mirror would be minor to someone who is doing bulk/cut cycles. Or maybe the changes I saw in the mirror had much more to do with losing the layer of fat on top than increasing muscle size.

At a certain point I plateaued in my strength training and the only times I seemed to make any progress were when I'd put on a little weight.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

Before "recomp" ever became a thing, "new" people started working out and lifting weights. They didn't track calories on fancy apps, they ate a little less, made wiser food choices and worked hard in the gym. They lost weight and gained some muscle and no one ever thought twice about it, other than to compliment them on looking good.
    They didn't meticulously cut until they reached a certain level then begin a bulk. They just worked out and ate better and made changes to their bodies. Now there are rules of when to start a recomp and cut and bulk. Life was simpler when people just worked out and ate better.

This is exactly the reason I don't track calories. It doesn't have to be that complicated. It doesn't have to be a science.
  • noirelb
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

Before "recomp" ever became a thing, "new" people started working out and lifting weights. They didn't track calories on fancy apps, they ate a little less, made wiser food choices and worked hard in the gym. They lost weight and gained some muscle and no one ever thought twice about it, other than to compliment them on looking good.
    They didn't meticulously cut until they reached a certain level then begin a bulk. They just worked out and ate better and made changes to their bodies. Now there are rules of when to start a recomp and cut and bulk. Life was simpler when people just worked out and ate better.

LOL AMEN
  • giburns5388
    Options
    OP are you speaking from personal experience? If so, I can relate to an extent. I have absolutely made good strength gains in the gym in the beginning of starting a diet/exercise routine, and ultimately seen much more definition. But I would also agree that there is a limit while in a deficit.

Perhaps it is that "newbie gains" are underemphasized here. They made me pretty happy. Maybe the big improvements I saw in the mirror would be minor to someone who is doing bulk/cut cycles. Or maybe the changes I saw in the mirror had much more to do with losing the layer of fat on top than increasing muscle size.

At a certain point I plateaued in my strength training and the only times I seemed to make any progress were when I'd put on a little weight.

Yes I am. I went fron 43 to 35 inch waist in 2 months. Abd made significabt strebgth gains in all my lifts. When i plateau also my only course of action will be recomp. But I aint there yet.
  • giburns5388
    Options
    noirelb wrote: »

Being overweight myself, I have to agree with you. I've seen the post of "you won't gain muscle mass on a deficit" so many times so I assumed it was right and exercised just for fat loss. Pre-pregnancy I had not biked in over 9 months and weight 210lbs or lower. My son is now 1 and I lost weight while being in quite a deficit and started biking again after stopping for over 2 years and started squats and my pre-pregnancy clothes almost all fit and my thighs are getting really hard. So I'm wondering if the opposite could be true?

It is true. Good job keep going. The people posting it cant do it themselves because they are past that stage.
  • noirelb
    Options
    noirelb wrote: »

It is true. Good job keep going. The people posting it cant do it themselves because they are past that stage.

Yea that's what I kind of assumed, or that they were never very overweight. I'm not sure, I just know what I've been through.