Losing fat and gaining muscle is possible...

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    OP are you speaking from personal experience? If so, I can relate to an extent. I have absolutely made good strength gains in the gym in the beginning of starting a diet/exercise routine, and ultimately seen much more definition. But I would also agree that there is a limit while in a deficit.

Perhaps it is that "newbie gains" are underemphasized here. They made me pretty happy. Maybe the big improvements I saw in the mirror would be minor to someone who is doing bulk/cut cycles. Or maybe the changes I saw in the mirror had much more to do with losing the layer of fat on top than increasing muscle size.

At a certain point I plateaued in my strength training and the only times I seemed to make any progress were when I'd put on a little weight.

Yes I am. I went fron 43 to 35 inch waist in 2 months. Abd made significabt strebgth gains in all my lifts. When i plateau also my only course of action will be recomp. But I aint there yet.

gaining strength =/= gaining muscle, they can be mutual exclusive, though usually with muscle gain comes strength, but you can gain strength without gaining muscle.

How do you know you put on muscle while losing the fat?

At best you will only put on a few lbs of muscle from newb gains anyway. The main reason to lift while in a deficit it to maintain the muscle you already have.

Too many people wait until goal weight to lift, and during the losing process lost muscle. It is much easier to maintain your current muscle than it is to build new, after losing it.

QFT! The whole argument is about majoring in the minors.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    OP are you speaking from personal experience? If so, I can relate to an extent. I have absolutely made good strength gains in the gym in the beginning of starting a diet/exercise routine, and ultimately seen much more definition. But I would also agree that there is a limit while in a deficit.

Perhaps it is that "newbie gains" are underemphasized here. They made me pretty happy. Maybe the big improvements I saw in the mirror would be minor to someone who is doing bulk/cut cycles. Or maybe the changes I saw in the mirror had much more to do with losing the layer of fat on top than increasing muscle size.

At a certain point I plateaued in my strength training and the only times I seemed to make any progress were when I'd put on a little weight.

Yes I am. I went fron 43 to 35 inch waist in 2 months. Abd made significabt strebgth gains in all my lifts. When i plateau also my only course of action will be recomp. But I aint there yet.

gaining strength =/= gaining muscle, they can be mutual exclusive, though usually with muscle gain comes strength, but you can gain strength without gaining muscle.

At best you will only put on a few lbs of muscle from newb gains anyway. The main reason to lift while in a deficit it to maintain the muscle you already have.

Too many people wait until goal weight to lift, and during the losing process lost muscle. It is much easier to maintain your current muscle than it is to build new, after losing it.

Only a couple pounds? An untrained man can put on up to 20 pounds of muscle in the first year of training.

At a deficit, or at maintenance? Seriously?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options

Only a couple pounds? An untrained man can put on up to 20 pounds of muscle in the first year of training.

The reason a recomp only seems to work for new trainee's is because progress happens so much faster at the beginning. Whether your bulking or doing a recomp, you're not going to be putting on 10-15lbs a year after your first 2 years. Everything come slower so unless your meticulously tracking for 1-3 years at a time as an advanced lifter, you won't see progress because it's happening so slow. It's a lot easier mentally to build for 9 months, put on 15-20 pounds, probably half fat and half muscle, then cut for 2-3 months and lose 15-20 pounds and be up 5-6 pounds of muscle from the year before. Had you been patient, the same progress could have occurred eating at maintenance for the year.

It's a lot more fun and exciting to see the scale go up when you're trying to build and see the scale go down when you're cutting.
    IN SURPLUS. Not in a deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    noirelb wrote: »
    For you hardcore guys that are in this for awhile please stop telling people its unlikely. It is highly unlikely for people like you who are near optimum. But for us beginners its really easy with diet and new to weight lifting.

Being overweight myself, I have to agree with you. I've seen the post of "you won't gain muscle mass on a deficit" so many times so I assumed it was right and exercised just for fat loss. Pre-pregnancy I had not biked in over 9 months and weight 210lbs or lower. My son is now 1 and I lost weight while being in quite a deficit and started biking again after stopping for over 2 years and started squats and my pre-pregnancy clothes almost all fit and my thighs are getting really hard. So I'm wondering if the opposite could be true?

You are losing body fat, so the muscles underneath are beginning to show. Building strength (increasing the efficiency of the muscles you have) is not the same as building additional muscle tissue. You can get stronger without building more muscle. And muscles need resistance training and recovery (in addition to adequate nutrition) to build additional lean mass. You're not going to do that on the treadmill.

Outside of minimal newbie gains, often for folks who are overweight, muscle is built with a calorie surplus, not a deficit. You can't build something out of nothing.

But that doesn't mean you won't have good results, and that you shouldn't keep on doing what you're doing that's working for you. Keep at it! It just doesn't mean what you think it means.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Not sure why people state that losing fat and gaining muscle is so black and white. It's definitely a broad range of grey depending on several factors.
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    For you hardcore guys that are in this for awhile please stop telling people its unlikely. It is highly unlikely for people like you who are near optimum. But for us beginners its really easy with diet and new to weight lifting.

Being overweight myself, I have to agree with you. I've seen the post of "you won't gain muscle mass on a deficit" so many times so I assumed it was right and exercised just for fat loss. Pre-pregnancy I had not biked in over 9 months and weight 210lbs or lower. My son is now 1 and I lost weight while being in quite a deficit and started biking again after stopping for over 2 years and started squats and my pre-pregnancy clothes almost all fit and my thighs are getting really hard. So I'm wondering if the opposite could be true?

You are losing body fat, so the muscles underneath are beginning to show. Building strength (increasing the efficiency of the muscles you have) is not the same as building additional muscle tissue. You can get stronger without building more muscle. And muscles need resistance training and recovery (in addition to adequate nutrition) to build additional lean mass. You're not going to do that on the treadmill.

Outside of minimal newbie gains, often for folks who are overweight, muscle is built with a calorie surplus, not a deficit. You can't build something out of nothing.

But that doesn't mean you won't have good results, and that you shouldn't keep on doing what you're doing that's working for you. Keep at it! It just doesn't mean what you think it means.

Thanks, that makes sense. I am curious what minimal newbie gains are? How much are we talking about (what is minimal)?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

You do know that women don't gain muscle as easily as men right? And that strength gains don't necessarily mean muscle gain
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I don't think, even as a newbie, that stating realistic expectations are "negative nancys". I want to know what to expect rather than setting myself up for failure and disappointment. Have I gained a little muscle? Yes. Have a gained strength? Hell yes. Will I be in better shape to have the physique I want when I reach my goals? Yes. All of this is advice from experienced people in these forums.

I think it is a mindset thing- if a beginner is going to get discouraged about not having a ton of gains while eating a deficit in like 14 days (or whatever, I am being dramatic) and stop their progress, then I don't think they were truly ready to do the work it takes to get there at this point. It took me years to even understand that. I admit to wanting the fast and easy and perfect ASAP in the past and quitting many, many times- and anyone trying to soften the truth set me up for larger failures than finally figuring out that I have to want to do it the right (and long) way. IMHO, it was more valuable to see the realistic truth repeatedly than softer lies, especially for me.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options

Thanks, that makes sense. I am curious what minimal newbie gains are? How much are we talking about (what is minimal)?

Someone who is new to lifting can basically do anything as long as it involves progressive overload that is relatively consistent and will make gains. Those gains can be quite dramatic if a proper program is used and they are able to eat at a surplus - but even if they don't they can still usually see some minimal gains. After a while - for some it's only a few months for others much longer, those easy gains stop and at that point you absolutely will need to be a bit more structured and careful with your routine.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Regarding the bold....
    In what world does calorie deficit equal nothing?

Someone eating at a small deficit can easily meet all their nutritional needs (including protein).
    Which just leaves the small amount of energy to help build muscle - which can come from stored energy, not just from food intake.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Regarding the bold....
    In what world does calorie deficit equal nothing?

Someone eating at a small deficit can easily meet all their nutritional needs (including protein).
    Which just leaves the small amount of energy to help build muscle - which can come from stored energy, not just from food intake.

...building muscle is the last thing your body uses stored fat for - it has other plans for that energy that typically involve keeping you alive. Building muscle is last on that priority list... which is why in a deficit it usually doesn't happen.

Deficit = not enough. Which is LESS than nothing in this context. Maintenance would be nothing - as in nothing extra but not having to resort to stored resources (fat) to provide fuel for necessary functions. Recomps tend to "work" at maintenance, albeit slowly, because the body can be convinced to use some of that stored energy to build a little bit of muscle because it doesn't need it for other functions higher on its list.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Not sure why people state that losing fat and gaining muscle is so black and white. It's definitely a broad range of grey depending on several factors.
    Actually it's not that many factors.

Newbie to lifting (NEVER lifted weights before)
    Athlete returning to lifting after a long layoff
    Obese and lifting

The above will benefit mostly on LIMITED GAINS if on a moderate deficit.

Then there's recomp and those who use ENHANCEMENT.

That's about it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Actually it's not that many factors.

Newbie to lifting (NEVER lifted weights before)
    Athlete returning to lifting after a long layoff
    Obese and lifting

The above will benefit mostly on LIMITED GAINS if on a moderate deficit.

Then there's recomp and those who use ENHANCEMENT.

That's about it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I can think of three. You pointed out a fourth I believe.

• Training experience
    • Amount of stored energy available
    • Size of caloric deficit
    • Amount of drugs used

Maybe my definition of several is off.