Making Bland Food More Flavorful

Options
13»

Replies

• lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Penzey's low salt seasoning mixes (and their regular ones!)- it adds a huge array of flavors to my meals. Krakow Nights, Arizona Dreaming, their currys, the pizza seasoning (seriously adds awesome flavor to frozen pizzas which we do from time to time), etc. Check them out at https://www.penzeys.com/

Agreed! I love Penzey's. I have a whole cabinet full of their blends.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm choosing to keep salt at about 1,000 mg a day, due to my trying not to retain water. but if I happen to go over some days, I am not going to fret. i'm going to get me to the ethnic market where they do sell all these kinds of spices and food items :) by the way, the crab soup is very good, and I just need to kick the flavor up a notch, I'm thinking tomato paste instead of just low sodium tomatos. like I did in my chilli last night :) totally made it awesome!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    I LOVE Penzey's low salt seasoning mixes (and their regular ones!)- it adds a huge array of flavors to my meals. Krakow Nights, Arizona Dreaming, their currys, the pizza seasoning (seriously adds awesome flavor to frozen pizzas which we do from time to time), etc. Check them out at https://www.penzeys.com/

Agreed! I love Penzey's. I have a whole cabinet full of their blends.

Yup! Just added Penzey's "FORWARD!" to a veggie mac'n'cheese last night. Yummy. "Pie Spice" on my morning bran cereal or yogurt.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Wtn_Gurl wrote: »
    I'm choosing to keep salt at about 1,000 mg a day, due to my trying not to retain water.

Is this under doctors instructions. Because it sounds pretty dangerous to me to limit to that level if not.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm choosing to keep salt at about 1,000 mg a day, due to my trying not to retain water.

Is this under doctors instructions. Because it sounds pretty dangerous to me to limit to that level if not.

I did not know that,, I will check with him - thanks! it would be nice to have a little more salt on my food as salt adds flavor.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

Agreed - particularly if you exercise heavily. You can lose anywhere from 300 to 6000 mg of sodium per hour during exercise, depending on the heat, your body weight, and the intensity of the exercise. One study found certain football players losing a staggering 30,000 mg over a 4.5 hour training session. That's more than an average weekly sodium intake.

It's also important to remember that high sodium is only really a risk factor for about 10% of the population. About 1 in 3 Americans are hypertensive, and about 1 in 3 of those are sensitive to sodium intake. If you are in that group, controlling sodium is very important, of course, but you should determine if you are first. Even if you do need to watch sodium, you need to balance the amount you consume with the amount you lose, because while high blood pressure puts strain on the circulatory system, low blood sodium makes your brain swell and can literally crush it to death against the inside of your skull.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

Agreed - particularly if you exercise heavily. You can lose anywhere from 300 to 6000 mg of sodium per hour during exercise, depending on the heat, your body weight, and the intensity of the exercise. One study found certain football players losing a staggering 30,000 mg over a 4.5 hour training session. That's more than an average weekly sodium intake.

It's also important to remember that high sodium is only really a risk factor for about 10% of the population. About 1 in 3 Americans are hypertensive, and about 1 in 3 of those are sensitive to sodium intake. If you are in that group, controlling sodium is very important, of course, but you should determine if you are first. Even if you do need to watch sodium, you need to balance the amount you consume with the amount you lose, because while high blood pressure puts strain on the circulatory system, low blood sodium makes your brain swell and can literally crush it to death against the inside of your skull.

Thanks! i'm not heavily exercising.. but i did peruse the internet for an idea, and it seems like about 1500 mg of sodium is ok per day. of course there are factors that determine that - age, health issues, etc. but it seems like 1500 is an average but could go to 2,000.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    hi great suggestions! tonight i made turkey chilli and i literally dumped in a couple handfuls of spices and used tomato paste, tomato sauce too. i had a sample - it was flavorful! so i took you all's suggestions :) i also am going to put a slice of jalapeno pepper jack cheese to melt on top. oh yeah it will be totally on my diet :)

Perhaps add milk to make a creamy soup:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/maryland-cream-of-crab-soup-26194#activity-feed

http://www.bumblebee.com/recipes/cream-of-crab-soup/

• Wtn_Gurl
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    hi great suggestions! tonight i made turkey chilli and i literally dumped in a couple handfuls of spices and used tomato paste, tomato sauce too. i had a sample - it was flavorful! so i took you all's suggestions :) i also am going to put a slice of jalapeno pepper jack cheese to melt on top. oh yeah it will be totally on my diet :)

Perhaps add milk to make a creamy soup:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/maryland-cream-of-crab-soup-26194#activity-feed

http://www.bumblebee.com/recipes/cream-of-crab-soup/

I was in Michigan a few weeks ago and I had some creamy crab soup. it was pureed more than I liked. I did have the tomato based crab soup in Baltimore many many years ago and sadly, I coudnt find a restaurant closer to me in Chicago that makes it. I like it tomato-based and chunky. it was delish! thank you for the recipe.. crab soup is awesome!