General endurance/fitness level of lifters

Options
2»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ck2d wrote: »
    Why don't you try HIIRT - high intensity interval resistance training. Basically, between weight lifting sets, instead of sitting there doing nothing, you do 1 minute of HIIT type cardio. Like, a minute of skipping rope or box jumps or throwing a medicine ball, etc etc. The point is to get your heart rate elevated so that weight lifting sessions also have cardio benefits. You kill two birds with one stone.
    ...and also totally screw your recovery for the ensuing sets. Rest periods are called rest periods for a reason.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Why don't you try HIIRT - high intensity interval resistance training. Basically, between weight lifting sets, instead of sitting there doing nothing, you do 1 minute of HIIT type cardio. Like, a minute of skipping rope or box jumps or throwing a medicine ball, etc etc. The point is to get your heart rate elevated so that weight lifting sessions also have cardio benefits. You kill two birds with one stone.
    ...and also totally screw your recovery for the ensuing sets. Rest periods are called rest periods for a reason.

Thanks man. You saved me the trouble.
  • mmapags
    Options

A couple of additional thoughts. APT recovery and weight training. Research it and you will understand why this is a bad idea. Also, with a v02 max in the low 40s and a RHR is the low 50s, why would I want to change what I'm doing? Just saying ;)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    me0231 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for their input. I've always hated the gym because I kind of equaled gym with long boring cardio sessions that nearly killed me. I'm new to lifting, but so far I absolutely love it and for the first time in my life I'm actually looking forward to going. It's not a chore to go.

I guess I will need to find a cardio activity that I feel the same way about.

I don't think there are any fun cardio activities to be perfectly honest :tongue:

Disagree.

I restarted with a dance group I used to be in when I was younger, it's SO MUCH FUN. Added to that my legs, especially my calf muscles are so toned!
  • mmapags
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

A couple of additional thoughts. APT recovery and weight training. Research it and you will understand why this is a bad idea. Also, with a v02 max in the low 40s and a RHR is the low 50s, why would I want to change what I'm doing? Just saying ;)

Just noticed my typo. That should be "ATP" recovery. ATP=Adenosine Triphosphate.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Not really, or at least not an amount that would have real benefit. I find that if I move my lifting workout to about 45 minutes after I eat a meal, I have a lot more energy in my workout. I also have a cup of coffee right before I workout (it's my choice of "pre-workout"). You may want to adjust the timing of your workouts/meals. Can't hurt to try.