Do you guys count black coffee as part of your daily water intake?

Options
13»

Replies

• xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I don't really drink coffee, but if I did I would count it, even if the caloric value is very low. I tend to hold onto water very easily so I need to keep my fluid intake in check.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I don't. Should I?
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    10 cups of coffee in a day?? Wow.
    An average 8 oz of Starbucks coffee has 180 mg caffeine, 12 oz. has 260 mg. Some other brands have less.
    I rarely drink coffee anymore--I love it but my digestion is much better--I use to drink a cup of decaf daily. I switched to herb tea. If I have an occasional decaf I do not log it as water. I do log herb tea and I count my water, because I find that when I hydrate well, I lose more weight and also I have no stiffness in my leg muscles. (I'm 51--young people don't usually have to worry about that).

FWIW most of the sites I've looked at say that the caffeine doesn't have much affect on dehydration.

I'm 42 and I have chronic low blood pressure. Getting dehydrated will make my bp drop into dangerous low levels so I do understand. Coffee and whatever I get in my food keeps me well hydrated. My coffees are typically 10oz. At 10 a day, I get plenty hydration.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I don't, but I'm staying well hydrated without needing to keep track of my water.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I don't count my water intake or drink coffee, but if I did I'd count it. It is water.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My mum had a colonoscopy on Friday before which she had to drink alot of water. The doctor specified that coffee and tea does not count.

It was also stated in her aftercare sheet. It said to drink plenty of water, and again, coffee and tea does not count toward her daily water goal.

Because you usually add milk to it and dairy causes mucus....they can't see the bowel wall properly if you have mucus

I have milk, she doesn't. I should have stated "black" tea and coffee doesn't count. The reference to the coffee and tea was in regards to it not counting toward daily water intake. This was also written in the aftercare sheet, which she got after her colonoscopy.
    She needs a high fibre diet and plenty of fluids, next to this on the sheet it said (coffee/tea/caffeinated drinks do not count toward your daily water goal). Her test came back clear other than a few polyps, so no major changes needed.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I find it hard to think of anything more pointless than counting water intake.
    Unless maybe that's agonising over whether other fluids that are 99% water might count towards water intake....

^^^Yup^^^

I count watermelon too (just kidding).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Unless maybe that's agonising over whether other fluids that are 99% water might count towards water intake....

I agree. Some doctors say ALL fluids counts, others say only plain water counts. Maybe it's more of an individual thing...

The ONLY reason this is even on my radar, is because i have seen a noticeable difference between no plain water days, and days i drink a decent amount. I drink around 2L of tea everyday and 3 cups of coffee, but i still need to drink regular water alongside it. It is an annoying fact of life for me.
  • xvolution
    Options

Or if someone has a disease where their bodies tend to hold onto fluids way too easily and thus cause health issues, like congestive heart failure or kidney disease.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    xvolution wrote: »

Or if someone has a disease where their bodies tend to hold onto fluids way too easily and thus cause health issues, like congestive heart failure or kidney disease.

What is your estimate of the percentage of people on this site with that kind of condition?
  • xvolution
    Options
    xvolution wrote: »

What is your estimate of the percentage of people on this site with that kind of condition?

CHF is more common than you'd think. The point is that even if there's only one person who needs to keep track of water due to a condition like this, then it's not really pointless.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Nope, don't count coffee or tea
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    beeziebaby wrote: »
    I definitely do NOT count my coffee as water intake. The reason I track my water is for hydration purposes and since coffee is a diuretic and therefore dehydrating, it would be 100% counterproductive for me to count it towards my water intake.

FYI: water is a diuretic. Diuretic just means it makes you pee.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    JTlivez wrote: »
    Sure. Why wouldn't I?
    Interesting, how far would you go though? Once you add milk, sugar, creamer etc... Would you think otherwise?
    Does that evaporate the water that still makes up 90%+ of what you're drinking?
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Krby13 wrote: »
    RedSierra wrote: »
    I went to the hospital a month ago because I had a severe reaction to caffeine. They talked to me about drinking enough water and said coffee and water are not the same as far as hydrating yourself.

Same here. I've never heard a doctor say that drinking pop (diet or otherwise) or sugary drinks has the same benefits as drinking water. I'm kinda surprised how many people on here that think if a drink has water as its base that it's just as good as drinking straight water. And I'm sure they will come back with stats to prove their reasoning for thinking that, but I'm just saying I've never had a doctor agree with the amount of diet soda I drink and my lack of water intake.

It's just logic. The diet soda you drink is water plus some flavoring. Why would that negate the water? You also get water from food you eat. That's why the whole "drink 8 cups a day" thing recently changed to "just drink when you're thirsty."

Your reaction to caffeine is another issue. I'm sure your doctor would advise you to drink less caffeinated soda in that case. Or less sugar if you're overconsuming regular soda. But it doesn't mean the water involved doesn't count as water.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    JTlivez wrote: »
    Sure. Why wouldn't I?
    Interesting, how far would you go though? Once you add milk, sugar, creamer etc... Would you think otherwise?
    Does that evaporate the water that still makes up 90%+ of what you're drinking?

Yeah, this makes no sense to me. Add milk and sweetener to coffee and don't count coffee. Drink water and a glass of milk and maybe eat some chocolate covered espresso beans, and count the water, even if the total amount of water is the same.

But then as I said upthread, I don't get counting water anyway. Seems a pointless thing to think about, since I seem to be able to drink water when thirsty and my urine is the right color. I think there's this idea that if you drink some specific amount of water you magically lose weight regardless of calories or something.
  • tgcakef
    tgcakef Posts: 111 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I would count black coffee. I count my black tea.

People have pointed out that doctors/after care sheets say X isn't the same as water. I think it's important to note that doctors are not always correct. They do not always know what they are talking about. They are also not always objective. Their own prejudices can come through. In addition, with things like after care sheets, they're going to be overly cautious because anything else is a liability; they don't want to get sued.

The best way to do it is to look at the science, and that would be the studies. That wouldn't be based on a doctor's knowledge - which is often incomplete, flawed, etc. - but the analysis of data, which is far more objective if the study is done well.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I don't track water, but if I did I would count pretty much every beverage except alcohol. They all add water to your system which you eventually have to pee out. I always have a glass, bottle, or mug of something next to me so I've never worried about counting it :drinker: