How do I get more protein without the fat ?

Options
2»

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    virleach wrote: »
    Any suggestions how I find out how much macros I really need ?
    Crazy high protein, unless you weigh 240*. But, to answer your question, non-fat greek yogurt...

*1 gram of protein per pound of body weight (which is still high. I shoot for 0.8 g per pound)

Then approximately 0.4 g of fat per pound.

Fill the rest in with carbs.

Do you calculate lb weight by what you weigh present or ideal weight

Ideal weight, if you're trying to lose, would be fine.

I went to figure it out and I am not sure if that will work
    It would be 32/32/36%
    My carb range would be same as my protein range
    I will try to play with this and see what happens
    Little worried since I have been told to keep fat low and protein high

The thing is, you have to take that statement in context. "Keep fat low" usually means under 30 - 40 percent. Because fatty foods are high in calories per volume of food it's very easy for a typical American diet to exceed that. They aren't saying eat only 20% - unless you have something like a liver problem I don't know of any diet that recommends that.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts :
    This is what I should be doing
    2119 calories
    45% protein - 241 grams
    35% carbs- 183 grams
    20% fat- 47 grams
    How do I get that much protein in a day with out going over my fat intake
    That's what I always struggle with
    Even when I was at 1700 calories ( 182 g.)
    I was having problems reaching it

Lean meats and possibly certain protein powders are going to be your friend/enemy. I hit 230 grams about a day and without those two things, I'm not sure I could make it regularly.
  • virleach
    virleach Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong or unhealthy about fats, especially if they are UFA. In the grand scheme of things, I wouldn't put much focus on fats or carbs.. I would aim for calories and then get up to .7 to 1g of protein per lb of weight. Personally, I am 175 and aim for 140 to 180g of protein (mainly for satiety), 30g or more of fiber and ensure i get adequate calories to lose weight.

I am female
    5'7
    170 lbs
    Body fat %-- 27%
    Fat weight--46 lbs
    Lean weight--124 lbs
    And I calorie counted so long until after I plateau and nothing was working so I switched to macro counting and then I started seeing toning happening and inches being lost. I am just trying to keep pushing forward and continue getting results ,looking for help not wanting to sabotage all that I have been working towards.
  • virleach
    virleach Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I thank everyone for the comments
    They all have been very helpful
  • svgco
    svgco Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    curious, where does this 1g per lb come from? Anyone got links to the underlying research?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Based on your lean weight - I'd do about 130-140g (I did 140g at 148lbs)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There is nothing wrong or unhealthy about fats, especially if they are UFA. In the grand scheme of things, I wouldn't put much focus on fats or carbs.. I would aim for calories and then get up to .7 to 1g of protein per lb of weight. Personally, I am 175 and aim for 140 to 180g of protein (mainly for satiety), 30g or more of fiber and ensure i get adequate calories to lose weight.

I am female
    5'7
    170 lbs
    Body fat %-- 27%
    Fat weight--46 lbs
    Lean weight--124 lbs
    And I calorie counted so long until after I plateau and nothing was working so I switched to macro counting and then I started seeing toning happening and inches being lost. I am just trying to keep pushing forward and continue getting results ,looking for help not wanting to sabotage all that I have been working towards.

You tone or lose body fat but losing weight and maintaining muscle (more muscle = more lean). So for a female, you would probably need 120 to 140g of protein and have a small to moderate deficit (about .5 to 1% loss per week)

What is more important is training. Resistance training, particularly one that is based on progressive overload is going to really help get your lean, develop your muscles and make you look fit. And you can do that is 70% fat or 20% fat. Fat and carbs don't matter too much outside of satiety, pending you are hitting all nutritional minimums.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    svgco wrote: »
    curious, where does this 1g per lb come from? Anyone got links to the underlying research?

I haven't seen that in any post in this thread except the original poster, who we all feel is over-doing the protein.

Oh, I guess quiksylver said it too...well then. I don't know her rationale for it.

The general minimum recommendation is .8-1g per pound of LBM. (Lean body mass) - or 1g per kilogram of total weight, which is close to the same thing.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Here's a really good way to remember what macros are for what. Very generally...If you want keto or something, go for it, that's not what this is, but its fine if you find it works. Remember, these are just roughish, but easy to remember.

0.5 g/lb fat either bulk or cut (this is a minimum)
    1 g/lb protein (more for a cut, less for a bulk) That's right I said less for a bulk.
    2 g/lb carbs (more for a bulk, less for a cut, but depends on your activity)

General rule is if protein goes up, carbs go down and vice versa.

Total calories still rule.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I haven't seen that in any post in this thread except the original poster, who we all feel is over-doing the protein.

The general recommendation is .8-1g per pound of LBM. (Lean body mass) - or 1g per kilogram of total weight, which is very close to the same thing.

It depends on the meta analysis. Some do recommend as much as 1g per lb, but that is generally for those more lean..

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/apnm-2015-0549
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options

The general recommendation is .8-1g per pound of LBM. (Lean body mass) - or 1g per kilogram of total weight, which is very close to the same thing.

It depends on the meta analysis. Some do recommend as much as 1g per lb, but that is generally for those more lean..

Right. You yourself recommended 120-140g for her. She weighs 170.

I edited to say "minimum." You're too quick for me. :wink:
  • psuLemon
    Options

Correct. She isn't lean enough where she would need to worry about "higher" levels of protein. Although, if she was in an aggressive deficit, I would recommend higher levels.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Oh, I guess quiksylver said it too...well then. I don't know her rationale for it.

The general minimum recommendation is .8-1g per pound of LBM. (Lean body mass) - or 1g per kilogram of total weight, which is close to the same thing.

That's from a couple of different sources and basically is a ceiling beyond which there is zero benefit.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

And I added a post later to say 1 g per pound of goal weight.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    You are eating a lot of protein even if you were a large, very active man. You could drop 100g of protein and still be getting more protein than average.

I am about 15 lbs lighter than you, an inch taller, and eat about a third of your protein. You could easily cut back a bit.

That being said, lean protein sources are plant sources, poultry, seafood and protein powders. If you want to keep your fat that low, you probably want to avoid all red meat, eggs and dairy. :(
    Yes fat is good for you but fat is fat and too much is not good

There really is no such thing as too much fat if you are not eating excessive calories. I lost about 2-3 lbs a week eating about 70% fat - 110-120g per day. I'm at the high end of the macro spectrum but I mention it to point out an old fashioned low fat bias that someone has pushed on you.
  • svgco
    svgco Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @psuLemon thanks for the link. I always find (what seem to my uneducated *kitten*) random numbers more palatable if I can go look at the research they came from. In tech land, there's this group called "Papers We Love" that's just a community curated list of peoples past/current favorite research, and citation is definitely my favorite way to have my bad arguments shut down. Wish there was a MFP equivalent. Or maybe there is and I just haven't found it yet.
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm on a low fat diet due to gallbladder issues so my go to for protein is quark (40g = 0 fat 4g protein) and cottage cheese (40g 0 fat, 4g protein) , tuna in spring water (112 drained = 1g fat, 30g protein), grilled chicken breast (50g 1g fat 18g protein) Weight watchers bread (4 slices 1g fat 10g protein) also beans & pulses like black eyed beans, lentils, pearl barley, chickpeas all have 0g 1g fat and 4g protein per portion, my fat free greek style yogurt has 0 fat 7g protein per 100g it all adds up and I managed to get 92g of protein today, 9g of fat and everything else was good within my goals, my sugar intake was from fruit so I don't track it, I have recently been looking into things like "Sports Nutrition Protein Shake" the ones I have come across in my local supermarkets seem to be decent in everything and good in protein, I'm in the process of looking for other low fat, low - medium calorie foods that are good in protein, fiber and vitamins and minerals :)
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Fat free greek yogurt, tuna, chicken breast, lean beef or pork, whey protein supplements, organ meats like liver, and fish can all be good sources for a protein boost.