Walking or riding in rain

Options

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I don't if I can help it. I'm currently training for a half marathon and try to build my training plan around the weather as it's usually cold, windy and rainy here in Scotland. If the weather forecast for my long run looks bad for Friday I do it on Saturday or Sunday. If there's rain every evening then I might do my hills run during my lunch break, or decide to still do it as I prefer running in the evening after all.

I did live in Copenhagen a few years ago and always cycled to work, in every weather: rain pants and jacket, rain cover for my backpack, office shoes at the office and a pair of dry socks there. Worst case I'd cycle out in flipflops to keep my shoes dry :D
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    If I'm cycling in the rain in summer I tend to go for sandals and short trousers, as I don't care about wet skin and would rather do that than wear full waterproofs and be sweaty.

In winter it's full waterproofs!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    a glasses squeegee.

That's fabulous!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I wear glasses and get annoyed if they get water on them, so wearing a cap to keep the rain out of my face makes a big difference to me. I'm thinking of getting a waterproof one, but for now I just use a normal baseball cap.

It gets to the point that I just can't see to my satisfaction (and I have very bad eyesight I can't just see around my lenses), even with a cap. Hats don't really help when there's the slightest bit of a breeze with the rain anyway.

I stay inside and use my treadmill to run when it rains.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    a glasses squeegee.

That's fabulous!

i have found some good winter bike stuff by side-eyeing the snowboard/ski types of aisles, actually. but i guess the gap is still there via the reasonable assumption that snow isn't going to get you as wet as rain can . . . unless it's the kind of snow you wouldn't be out doing your thang in anyway. i tend to appreciate their gloves and mitts though.
  • kimmaltsev
    kimmaltsev Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I don't have a dreadmill would love to get one though but my place is to small to have one.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I once read “there is no such thing as bad weather - there are just bad clothes”. That’s mostly how I feel. Dress for the weather (but not for the first 10 minutes) and get on with it.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm just weird, but I love running in the rain (at least until the chaffing starts, but that's for another post). Cap helps with glasses issue. It's just water, and it helps keeps me cool.

Riding in the rain is another issue. My bike doesn't have a fender so I get mud all over me, and it's almost impossible to wash out.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    rain, snow, wind... running and riding - no worries.

I just avoid extreme heat, which to me is anything over 100 degrees.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It depends on the rain if I will enjoy walking in it.
    I walk to appointments across town sometimes and got caught in the rain when it was extremely cold. It came down very hard and the wind was blowing hard. It was very miserable. I had to stay wet for over an hour and then walk home. I guess coming home to a nice cup of tea and dry clothes made me appreciate them more?
    A summer rain as long as it is not a violent storm can be kind of meditative to walk in I think. I notice the smell and sounds. Very present in the moment.

My mother always told me I was not sugar and would not melt as she pushed me out the door to walk to school in all weather. I think of that and smile a bit at the memory of her.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I live in Portland and grew up here (though I've lived in other areas of the world as well). Rain is just a part of my life. I make myself more comfortable in it by dressing to take into account the rain. That means wearing waterproof breathable clothing and taking care of that clothing (because I don't actually enjoy replacing it on a really frequent basis).

I personally really enjoy riding and walking in the rain. Walking in the rain is relaxing as long as I'm properly dressed and riding in the rain means that I'm probably not going to get too warm. Rain on my glasses is going to be a thing walking or riding my bike. I suspect an umbrella while walking could solve that problem but I don't own one (that's what rain jackets are for).

I will admit that the idea of not riding outside in the rain is silly to me as that would mean not riding outside for the vast majority of the year. I'm sure people from hot places think similar things when I complain about the heat.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running in the rain (as long as it's not a thunderstorm....once you're wet you're wet) but I do tend to avoid cycling in heavy downpours due to the reduced visibility. even with my bright red flashing LED at the back and with my flashing LED to the front I find car drivers still can't see me (I did a triathlon a couple of weeks ago in the pouring rain but it was on a closed course)
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I wear a baseball cap and wrap-around clear glasses (nearly clear as the block glare, but not necessarily light), and run. Rain doesn't bother me when I run, I prefer it as so many people decide to not run while it's raining so I am nearly alone. It's just more peaceful for me.
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Bike riding is an all weather sport. Check your local LBS to see if they have rain gear for you. I personally like the thin rain jackets that fit in the back pocket of my jersey. They keep me dry and they arent heavy. I also like to bring my splash guard so muc doesnt go flying everywhere as i tear through puddles.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i dress appropriately.
    i've run in wisconsin winters, flooding downpours. there is a peace that happens when you are out there alone. almost like it's a meditation
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    For running in the rain I got a long-brimmed baseball-style cap. It’s vented and lightweight and the brim folds so it’s easy to carry. I got it on Amazon for maybe $15.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    kimmaltsev wrote: »
    How do you make walking or riding in rainy weather more bearable or more fun. I personally don't like exercising in the rain. I can do it mostly when it's just drizzling out which don't mind me much. But when it's coming down fast it doesn't really motivate me. How do I get myself in a motivated mood to get out in the rain like that? Any suggestions will help.

The Army ruined both rain and camping for me. If it's raining, I'm training inside. Camping is now a hotel without room service.

I'm sure I could do it if I had to. But currently, I don't have to, so I don't :)
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    It’s been very hot and humid this summer with a lot of rain. I like walking in the rain, it’s more comfortable to me than the humidity.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I like to ride single track in the rain because 99% of the time I will have the trails to myself.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I’m tickled to see others use the strategy of imagining scenes from book; glad to know I’m not the only one! I also love running in rain and especially in thunderstorms—not recommended and I don’t get to do it often, but I love it. I also take secret pleasure in being completely unfazed by weather (I live in Wisconsin) bc it makes me feel invincible in some way. So many people let weather get in their way and it’s just kind of fun to be part of that small group of wild folk who don’t. Happy trails!