Thoughts on Apple cider vinegar ?

Options
Im very curious . I hear so many people say that it worked for them not only with weight loss but with skin as well . Has anyone ever tried this method ?
i would love to hear success stories

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    It doesn't do anything for weight. Other than that, all I know about ACV is that it's good in bbq, but that's second hand info from the lovely people here.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Some studies have shown that it reduces absorption of starch when taken right before a meal, and as a result improves blood sugar spikes. I am diabetic and I had a big old jug already so I decided to try it. For the first several meals it did seem to make a difference since I had noticeably lower blood glucose readings after eating than expected. However, on other instances it has seemed to make no difference at all. I would say that the best that can be said is it's not consistent enough to predict, and possibly it does nothing. It did not have any effect on my rate of weight loss which was fine already or my skin.

Slugging down a cup of water with two tablespoons of vinegar is not very pleasant. Unless you have a good reason to try it, I would skip it.

Would you mind sharing those studies with us?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Some studies have shown that it reduces absorption of starch when taken right before a meal, and as a result improves blood sugar spikes. I am diabetic and I had a big old jug already so I decided to try it. For the first several meals it did seem to make a difference since I had noticeably lower blood glucose readings after eating than expected. However, on other instances it has seemed to make no difference at all. I would say that the best that can be said is it's not consistent enough to predict, and possibly it does nothing. It did not have any effect on my rate of weight loss which was fine already or my skin.

Slugging down a cup of water with two tablespoons of vinegar is not very pleasant. Unless you have a good reason to try it, I would skip it.

Would you mind sharing those studies with us?

Here's one that found some effect on blood sugar when it was taken at bedtime, and I believe it links to previous studies about mealtimes. The effect they found is pretty small. As I said, my personal experience was mixed - not really worth the effort.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/30/11/2814.long

• tianas1992
    tianas1992 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ive never tried it , was just curious. Im sure everyone has questioned fad diets .
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    tianas1992 wrote: »
    Im very curious . I hear so many people say that it worked for them not only with weight loss but with skin as well . Has anyone ever tried this method ?
    It's all anecdotal since ACV has NOTHING to do with weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Link the studies. I'd like to see at least the abstract on it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• tianas1992
    tianas1992 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's all anecdotal since ACV has NOTHING to do with weight loss.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thank you !!! I just rather take in information before i just jump into it
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The link above discusses previous studies.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Although this study is limited by the small sample size (n = 11), the within-subject design reduced error variance due to individual differences. Also, renal function and a detailed history of medication use were not assessed in this study and may have impacted these results.
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options

My daughter had an acne problem and she used it as an astringent. She thought it helped clear up her acne.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It mentioned diabetic controlled people, but I didn't see anything about "reduced absorption of starch when taken before a meal". Unless I'm really blind.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It mentioned diabetic controlled people, but I didn't see anything about "reduced absorption of starch when taken before a meal". Unless I'm really blind.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Not quite the same thing as what's being discussed but: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4438142/
    Title: Vinegar Consumption Increases Insulin-Stimulated Glucose Uptake by the Forearm Muscle in Humans with Type 2 Diabetes

So, weight loss? Not seeing anything. Muscular insulin sensitivity in people with T2D specifically? Something.
  • craigspaterson33
    craigspaterson33 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think it makes a great salad dressing. No, it does not burn fat. But using it rather than dressings loaded with oil certainly does not add a lot of empty calories.