Thoughts on Apple cider vinegar ?

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    tianas1992 wrote: »
    I'm not sure where your "many people" are from, but if you do a mfp forum search, you'll find "many people" say that as a weight loss aid, it's a load of bunk. There are many good things to do with it though, so your bottle won't go to waste.

I was just curious. Better to ask then assume .
    Ive just had a couple of people tell me they lost a couple of lbs not alot. Better to ask mfp before i chugg the bottle down like its happy hour

You have good instincts. Please forgive the lighthearted responses. MFP gets asked about ACV frequently so people tend to be a little less serious as they answer frequently asked questions.

Please ask the group anything else. It may be old hat to us, but if it is new to you, it is good to find out.

If something inexpensive that most people have in their pantries supposedly works for weight loss, it won't.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Some studies have shown that it reduces absorption of starch when taken right before a meal, and as a result improves blood sugar spikes. I am diabetic and I had a big old jug already so I decided to try it. For the first several meals it did seem to make a difference since I had noticeably lower blood glucose readings after eating than expected. However, on other instances it has seemed to make no difference at all. I would say that the best that can be said is it's not consistent enough to predict, and possibly it does nothing. It did not have any effect on my rate of weight loss which was fine already or my skin.

Slugging down a cup of water with two tablespoons of vinegar is not very pleasant. Unless you have a good reason to try it, I would skip it.

Would you mind sharing those studies with us?

Here's one that found some effect on blood sugar when it was taken at bedtime, and I believe it links to previous studies about mealtimes. The effect they found is pretty small. As I said, my personal experience was mixed - not really worth the effort.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/30/11/2814.long

To sum up, there is some correlation to acetic acid and BG numbers not going up quite as high after a meal. Enough that it warrants further study so see if it actually is a causation. The thing to remember is that it is the acetic acid, not specifically ACV, so having a salad and dressing it with balsamic or red wine vinegar will have the same effect.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I use it to clean my pans. Also good for salad dressing.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I use it in my pulled pork recipe. Every few weeks I make a big batch of something in the Crockpot and use it for lunches until it is gone. Ironically, I miscalculated the calories on the last batch and my weight loss stalled for three weeks until I uncovered my mistake. Soooooooo, if we're going off of anecdotal evidence, I'd say ACV did more harm to my diet than good! :lol:
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    Only use it when a recipe calls for it. Never tried it for dietary purposes. Don't need it for that.
  • Nykkismommy21
    Nykkismommy21 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Oops sorry Paulawalladingdong my commentwas meant for the OP. I pressed the wrong quote!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how far into the month we could get before the first ACV thread appeared. Even Anthony Scaramucci got further than five days.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Good for cleaning, would gag if I had to drink it.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    It's nasty is all I know. Yucky!
  • arrghmatey1
    arrghmatey1 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Works wonders on leg cramps ... not so good for your teeth.
    Bust a set of double atomic charlies in about 90 seconds but so will mustard so pick your nasty. :o
  • earlnabby
    Options
    I just started using it consistently about two weeks ago. What I have noticed is that it's helping to control my sugar cravings. Also add a little agave sweetener or some type of sweetener to it makes it much more pleasant I typically make it like a lemonade apple cider vinegar tea it's good. If the taste of it in a glass of water is too strong just add more water

You do realize that agave syrup has a higher fructose profile than HFCS, don't you? Not a good substitute.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I really don't know what the supposed benefits of drinking ACV are but I can say that I consumed quite a bit of it while I was gaining weight. I like it and use it a lot when cooking, and I pickle a lot of my own food so I use a lot of it there too.

I can totally see drinking it helping curb my appetite though. That's sounds quite nasty.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I use it to make my fermented foods which, in turn, keeps my gut healthy. I also mix it with my clay to apply as a face mask ... it gets all tingly and does help clear out clogged pores.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    It's great for cleaning. And I like to use it to get rid of fruit flies sometimes. Other than that, I got nothing.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    tianas1992 wrote: »
    Im very curious . I hear so many people say that it worked for them not only with weight loss but with skin as well . Has anyone ever tried this method ?
    i would love to hear success stories

My daughter had an acne problem and she used it as an astringent. She thought it helped clear up her acne.

Yikes...I am a licensed esthetician (although not my primary career) and skincare is my hobby. I would highly discourage acv for skincare. Stripping the skin does more damage than good. A 2% BHA is the way to go!
  • JenniferOBX14
    JenniferOBX14 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I not a believer in drinking it but i do use it on my skin from time to time. I have psoriasis and it helps clear it up fast if I have a flare up. Apply on skin with cotton pad. Braggs works best.