Microwave yes or no? ?

Options
1235»

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think she just puts them in a shallow bowl and wraps them loosely in a wet paper towel. It's a form of steaming. (I like asparagus steamed, but usually sautee them.)

That's how I cook mine.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    finny11122 wrote: »
    finny11122 wrote: »
    I love cooking and turning a bunch of ingredients into something amazing . Only proper cooking techniques can get those great results . You want top quality food , you got to put in the time and effort .
    Cutting open a preservative laden ready meal and dumping it into a microwave is not exactly healthy eating .

Would warming up the same meal in the oven make it any better? If not, your point is moot. :)

No . Cheap ready meals are bad in an oven or microwave . People come to this site to eat healthier and lose weight . Cooking from scratch with good healthy ingredients is a million times better and tastier than any microwave food . I bet you have alot of - I am Nino moments in your kitchen .

What if I buy expensive ready meals?

Seriously though, I know a lot of healthy people that eat microwave meals regularly. Like every day regularly.

This would be me. My frozen meals often have 15 - 20 grams of protein (which is my focus right now) for around 300 calories. Last week I had a lean Cuisine chicken in sweet BBQ sauce that had 20 grams protein for 280 calories. Can't say that's unhealthy.

That's a good one, in my regular rotation. I think my fave is the Fiesta Grilled Chicken, I add a little hot sauce and a serving of frozen mixed veggies. There are a bunch now with 19-22g of protein, but those two are regulars for me :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think she just puts them in a shallow bowl and wraps them loosely in a wet paper towel. It's a form of steaming. (I like asparagus steamed, but usually sautee them.)

We have a steamer that's made for use in the microwave. It has a tray for the veggies/whatever, which has holes in the bottom and you put water in the bottom below the tray. The lid has a sliding vent on top. Put water in, put veggies in, put it in the microwave and hit the sensor "reheat" button, voila. We steam veggies (zucchini, brussels sprouts, asparagus, broccoli, etc.) in the microwave several times per week, it works great. Looks exactly like this:

iinp1hqyok36.jpg

[ETA:] We also use the microwave to slightly warm up/soften Halo Top ice cream for dessert afterward! :D
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    wi_denisha wrote: »
    My question is do you use the microwave or not

never owned one, but that's basically because i'm really stingy with counter space and seriously resent objects that use it up unless they're essential to daily living. aka coffee machine and now blender.

i use the ones at work and have never had a nutrition-related opinion on them.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I heated my breakfast in the microwave this morning, but that really is just a feeble attempt to make this zombie thread bump for @jofjltncb6 @WinoGelato @nutmegoreo (who until just now I thought was nutmegro and have been saying it that way in my head forever) relevant :lol: (The good links are on page 3 I think)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    @nutmegoreo (who until just now I thought was nutmegro and have been saying it that way in my head forever) relevant :lol:

You're not alone @pinuplove lol Nutmegro is how I've always said it too :open_mouth:

• goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/17/health/17real.html

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/microwave-cooking-and-nutrition

Same conclusion: "The cooking method that best retains nutrients is one that cooks quickly, heats food for the shortest amount of time, and uses as little liquid as possible. Microwaving meets those criteria. Using the microwave with a small amount of water essentially steams food from the inside out. That keeps in more vitamins and minerals than almost any other cooking method and shows microwave food can indeed be healthy."

So use it, but be careful not to overcook/overheat your food. Perhaps set wattage at 70%.
  • goatg
    Options
    Personally, I don't have a microwave. I enjoy this lack of convenience.
  • goatg
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    It's true that certain foods lose nutritional value when cooked (and others gain nutritional value)

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/10-ways-to-get-the-most-nutrients

Your statement resulted in a fair bit of reading on my part. Thank you :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I heated my breakfast in the microwave this morning, but that really is just a feeble attempt to make this zombie thread bump for @jofjltncb6 @WinoGelato @nutmegoreo (who until just now I thought was nutmegro and have been saying it that way in my head forever) relevant :lol: (The good links are on page 3 I think)

#realmvp
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OT but this reminds me of 2 epic mfp threads. This one http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/694311/please-stop-microwaving-your-food/p1

And the microwave death box one but that one was deleted.

RIP Deathbox Thread...

394Qm3p.gif

^this

:'(
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    @nutmegoreo (who until just now I thought was nutmegro and have been saying it that way in my head forever) relevant :lol:

You're not alone @pinuplove lol Nutmegro is how I've always said it too :open_mouth:

:laugh:

I've had some interesting interpretations of it. I've also had: Nut Me Go Reo. Other's think: Nut Meg Oreo, so they think my name is Megan. Many just shorten it to Nutty, which is fine with me too!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @nutmegoreo just doesn't roll off the tongue, and is hard for me to pronounce for some reason :lol: Nutmegro just flows.
    You shall be named Nutty from now on :tongue: xx
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    @nutmegoreo just doesn't roll off the tongue, and is hard for me to pronounce for some reason :lol: Nutmegro just flows.
    You shall be named Nutty from now on :tongue: xx

A few of my real life friends call me Nutty too. It's all good. I've certainly been called worse!