5'1 Ladies- what are your maintenance calories?

Options
123457»

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch hold the phone, you have an Apple tree-- Really? Like that makes apples?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    @middlehaitch hold the phone, you have an Apple tree-- Really? Like that makes apples?

Yup. Unfortunately we have been away for 3 weeks and came home to lots of fallen apples. There was also a bit of a heat wave so they look half baked :/

Still lots to harvest, slice, and freeze.

The raspberries and thornless
    blackberries are fine though.

Cheers, h.
    Ps, at our last house we had grape vines that made wine. Gallons and gallons of red wine.

• haniame
    haniame Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bibbob300 wrote: »
    I'm 5'1 and are maintaining at around 1100 cals per day, it's rubbish being a shortie!

I am maintaining at 1600 cals nowdays but you are so right!!! It’s such a disadvantage
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Omg, I never came to this section of the forums (maintenance) before- I'm gobsmacked! Try telling anyone on the weight loss sub forums that on 1200 calories you are miserable and losing less than .5 pounds a week they practically call you a liar and just want to 'exercise shame' you! Or at least that is what I found. I was doubting my sanity for some time here.

I'm post-menopausal, 5'3 and have about 50 pounds to lose. Sedentary life, but I actually exercise quite a bit I think - swim 3 to 5 miles a week, + take aqua aerobics and exercycle at home any day I don't go to the gym. I struggle with getting enough protein.

On the other area of the boards When I said I would have to skip breakfast to afford the calories for a glass of wine I was basically shamed into silence - told I was doing it wrong, obviously not logging correctly, or they implied I was just lying.

At my current weight loss rate I probably have more than a couple of years to go! I miss croissants and Starbucks lattes, but a treat like that would cancel out a week or more of this miserable calorie restriction! I'm so frustrated I could scream! And then to get the reception I did, well, it certainly did not help.

/vent. I'm just so glad I found a place that I might be able to find some inspiration that is not full of people making me feel stupid, or like a freak, or seeming to imply that I'm a liar.

I find this all the time on the forums. They automatically accuse someone of undereating and having goals that are too aggressive without bothering to enquire about height first. At 1200 calories a day (before exercise calories added) most at 5'2 and under would have a deficit of 250 calories a day or less.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Omg, I never came to this section of the forums (maintenance) before- I'm gobsmacked! Try telling anyone on the weight loss sub forums that on 1200 calories you are miserable and losing less than .5 pounds a week they practically call you a liar and just want to 'exercise shame' you! Or at least that is what I found. I was doubting my sanity for some time here.

I'm post-menopausal, 5'3 and have about 50 pounds to lose. Sedentary life, but I actually exercise quite a bit I think - swim 3 to 5 miles a week, + take aqua aerobics and exercycle at home any day I don't go to the gym. I struggle with getting enough protein.

On the other area of the boards When I said I would have to skip breakfast to afford the calories for a glass of wine I was basically shamed into silence - told I was doing it wrong, obviously not logging correctly, or they implied I was just lying.

At my current weight loss rate I probably have more than a couple of years to go! I miss croissants and Starbucks lattes, but a treat like that would cancel out a week or more of this miserable calorie restriction! I'm so frustrated I could scream! And then to get the reception I did, well, it certainly did not help.

/vent. I'm just so glad I found a place that I might be able to find some inspiration that is not full of people making me feel stupid, or like a freak, or seeming to imply that I'm a liar.

I find this all the time on the forums. They automatically accuse someone of undereating and having goals that are too aggressive without bothering to enquire about height first. At 1200 calories a day (before exercise calories added) most at 5'2 and under would have a deficit of 250 calories a day or less.

Yes.. it does really, really annoy the F* out of me whenever everyone automatically assumes that the person who got the 1200 net calorie floor entered 2 lb/wk (or even 1 lb/wk). Um, no - some of us are short, female, and not starting out obese AF.
  • shyhall
    shyhall Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I’m really surprised by some of the answers on here.
    I’m 5 foot 1 inch and have lost 21 pound so far on a 1500 calorie diet and I’m still losing about 1-1.5 pounds a week.
    I’m age 49.

I’ve dropped from 169 pound to 148 pound so far.

On a couple of occasions I’ve gone on maintenance for a few weeks and was able to do that by increasing
    up to 1800-1900 calories a day, some days more if I was very active.

I’m not a fitness fanatic but probably do at least 30 min walking a day, sometimes up to 2 hours walking a day.
    Then there is the usual house cleaning, gardening. I’ve not been to a gym at all while losing weight.

Is it possible that some of you aren’t eating enough calories and your bodies have gone into starvation mode and
    reduced your metabolism?

If some of you are having to reduce to 1500 calories or lower just to maintain weight, doesn’t that indicate
    a metabolism problem?
  • middlehaitch
    edited October 2017
    Options
    shyhall wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I’m 5 foot 1 inch and have lost 21 pound so far on a 1500 calorie diet and I’m still losing about 1-1.5 pounds a week.
    I’m age 49.

On a couple of occasions I’ve gone on maintenance for a few weeks and was able to do that by increasing

I’m not a fitness fanatic but probably do at least 30 min walking a day, sometimes up to 2 hours walking a day.
    Then there is the usual house cleaning, gardening. I’ve not been to a gym at all while losing weight.

Is it possible that some of you aren’t eating enough calories and your bodies have gone into starvation mode and
    reduced your metabolism?

If some of you are having to reduce to 1500 calories or lower just to maintain weight, doesn’t that indicate
    a metabolism problem?

Not really. You are still at quite a high weight for your height, 18lbs until you reach a normal BMI, so 1500 is still a reasonable calorie goal for you.

On the other hand, at 54yo and 130, 1200 was a completely reasonable goal for me to lose 1lbs a week when sedentary. This soon dropped to .5lbs or less for me to reach 105lbs.
    Upping my NEAT and exercise gave me about 1500 cals on active days.

Age and lbm, to a small extent, daily activity, exercise, and weight all play a part in how many calories are needed. Depending on your goal you may well have fewer calories than you do now when you hit maintenance. At 130lbs I would have easily had an 1800 cal TDEE to maintain.

Cheers, h.

ETA there is no such thing as starvation mode.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

reduced your metabolism?

a metabolism problem?

You may be more active than you think, or you have a high metabolism, because generally speaking we smaller ladies have relatively low sedentary cals. (Sedentary being under 4K steps. To get 1500 maintenance cals at 120lbs, I have to get at least 12.5K steps in.)
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    CoachJen71 wrote: »

reduced your metabolism?

a metabolism problem?

You may be more active than you think, or you have a high metabolism, because generally speaking we smaller ladies have relatively low sedentary cals. (Sedentary being under 4K steps. To get 1500 maintenance cals at 120lbs, I have to get at least 12.5K steps in.)

I’m totally confused how 12.5k steps would give you (or anyone not close to six feet tall) 300 extra calories.

8621 steps in today (Apple watch sync with MFP) gives me 91 calories. (Activity level on MFP set as low as it can go). I’m 5’3+. And I’d need more than double - approx 25k steps to earn 300 calories. Am I just misunderstanding something here?

ETA: Nevermind. Someone on another thread compared her three devices and Apple Watch gives only a fraction of the calories for steps that the other two do, so that probably explains that.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I’m age 49.

reduced your metabolism?

a metabolism problem?

Not really. You are still at quite a high weight for your height, 18lbs until you reach a normal BMI, so 1500 is still a reasonable calorie goal for you.

On the other hand, at 54yo and 130, 1200 was a completely reasonable goal for me to lose 1lbs a week when sedentary. This soon dropped to .5lbs or less for me to reach 105lbs.

Have you found 15-20 lbs to make that large of a difference when it comes to TDEE/NEAT?
    I asked about this upthread but I don't think anyone responded... I'm down about 35 lbs from my heaviest and have not found it to make much difference at this point, but I am still well over a normal BMI and have gained a bit of muscle since I was at my heaviest weight. (I'm 5'1'', 178 lbs maintaining on 2800+ currently.. ETA- However, I found I would lose about a pound per week eating 2000)
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    @ryenday, just going by your recent posts, on a number of different threads, you do seem to have a slightly lower metabolism.

From what you have posted here I am wondering if you may not benefit from a diet break for a couple of weeks. This could help with hormone and cortisol levels.

I am saying this as no super workout type athlete, but as someone who lost during menopause with a similar exercise routine to yours, and sedentary otherwise, but did lose with a couple of hundred calories more than you appear to be getting.

Just a friendly suggestion to help you maybe get a glass of wine or croissant. :)

Cheers, h.
  • ryenday
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @ryenday, just going by your recent posts, on a number of different threads, you do seem to have a slightly lower metabolism.

From what you have posted here I am wondering if you may not benefit from a diet break for a couple of weeks. This could help with hormone and cortisol levels.

I am saying this as no super workout type athlete, but as someone who lost during menopause with a similar exercise routine to yours, and sedentary otherwise, but did lose with a couple of hundred calories more than you appear to be getting.

Just a friendly suggestion to help you maybe get a glass of wine or croissant. :)

Cheers, h.

Thank you, wine is nice, but I’d turn it down in a minute for a fresh baked croissant!

Yes, it is very obvious to me that my metabolism isn’t comparable to other folks here on MFP. It is mine, tho so I guess I have to learn to live with it. (Yes, thyroid results in yearly blood work seem fine).

And your advice is good- I came off of a one month pseudo break in September (ate at goal weight maintenance which I calculate to be around 1300 on non swim days + about 200 to 300 on swim days) and it was a relief. I’m planning on doing that one month out of every four or so now.

I’m also allowing myself to eat potatoes again, which have had a good impact on satiety in my case. Lucky I have a good dose of Irish peasant stock in my heritage because I don’t need butter or oil or any fat, actually, to enjoy a potato! (Thereby allowing me to save the calories for a croissant some day... maybe! - lol)

Still the Apple Watch step calorie estimates are about 1/2 the other wrist devices it seems. Just an FYI for anyone wondering.
  • ryenday
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I’m age 49.

reduced your metabolism?

a metabolism problem?

Have you found 15-20 lbs to make that large of a difference when it comes to TDEE/NEAT?
    I asked about this upthread but I don't think anyone responded... I'm down about 35 lbs from my heaviest and have not found it to make much difference at this point, but I am still well over a normal BMI and have gained a bit of muscle since I was at my heaviest weight. (I'm 5'1'', 178 lbs maintaining on 2800+ currently.. ETA- However, I found I would lose about a pound per week eating 2000)

As someone who has a different perspective (obese less than 6 months of adult life but did hit substantial overweight a couple of times and needed to diet it off) I wonder this too.

Because the most pushback I get (the ‘you are not doing something right, probably logging, if you barely lose on 1200’ crowd) seem to be largely from those who were at one point morbidly obese. The supportive crowd (‘yeah, after menopause I too packed on 20 or 30 extra pounds and could only lose a fraction of a pound a week no matter what I did) seemed to have been normal/overweight most of their adult life.

I’d love to know if this means anything. Probably just a coincidence and even if there is an actual correlation I doubt it means much, but it still niggles at my brain.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I’m age 49.

reduced your metabolism?

a metabolism problem?

As someone who has a different perspective (obese less than 6 months of adult life but did hit substantial overweight a couple of times and needed to diet it off) I wonder this too.

Because the most pushback I get (the ‘you are not doing something right, probably logging, if you barely lose on 1200’ crowd) seem to be largely from those who were at one point morbidly obese. The supportive crowd (‘yeah, after menopause I too packed on 20 or 30 extra pounds and could only lose a fraction of a pound a week no matter what I did) seemed to have been normal/overweight most of their adult life.

I’d love to know if this means anything. Probably just a coincidence and even if there is an actual correlation I doubt it means much, but it still niggles at my brain.

I agree, there are probably too many variables. But I am genuinely curious what others have found.
    I likely was not logging as accurately when I started out. And it’s possible that being a lower weight now has lead to me being more active than I was at my heaviest. So it’s hard to say.

I was barely at a healthy BMI for 6 months of my adult life (lost a lot but gained it back), so as you said, very different end of the spectrum..
    I kind of relate on the pushback though, many people have written me off as “super athlete” and the like when I share my intake. But I’ve over eaten the majority of my life, maybe that plays a roll as well...
    I’m averaging 8k steps per day and maybe 6-8 hours of gym time per week, which I would hardly consider extreme. I’m also definitely not bodybuilder status when it comes to lean body mass. More so than the average person I suppose, but from what I’ve read it takes an awful lot of LBM to have much of an effect.
    I fully acknowledge that I am not at a “healthy” BMI and may have a higher TDEE as a result, but that’s partly why I’m curious how much change others have seen as a result.
  • middlehaitch
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @ryenday. Glad to hear you are doing ok and diet breaks work well for you.
    N England and Scotland here, couldn't do without my potatoes. :)
    I do remember the thread with the wine.

@not_a_runner
    Re the calorie drop. I think you are still in a position where the difference doesn't impact you. Maybe just a small drop in your weekly loss.
    You still have extra weight to move in your daily activities which burns calories, and, if I remember rightly, you lift heavy things and put them down on a regular basis so get a good burn there. This will also have helped with muscle retention/newbie gain so will give you a small calorie advantage.

I ran a few numbers using 5'1, my start age of 54, and sedentary (a multiplyer of 1.2. I think MFP uses 1.25) for all of them and this is what I got.

100lbs, BMR 991, TDEE 1189, BMI 18.9
    130lbs, BMR 1127, TDEE 1352, BMI 24.6
    148lbs, BMR 1108, TDEE 1480, BMI 28
    178lbs, BMR 1349, TDEE 1613, BMI 33.7
    200lbs, BMR 1444, TDEE 1733, BMI 37.8

As you can see at a very basic level there is a difference and me being the top 2 numbers (100-130) would notice the minus 163 cals maybe more than taking 120 cals from the 200 to 178 number- more leeway for error.

Ie: walking a mile using the 'weight x .30 x distance in miles' formula (runners world I think) and the only difference being a persons weight, we get a calorie burn per hr of 90, 117, 133, 160, 180, using the weights listed above.

When you take all the variables into consideration, even when one is listed as sedentary, daily movement can be from fidgety to very still, 20 lbs of loss can make quite a difference for some.

I think as you get closer to goal weight you will start noticing bigger differences in how many calories you burn, and can eat, even though the decline is gradual.

The less cals you get the more valuable 50 cals are, and the more precise logging has to be to lose .5 lbs a week.

Sorry for the length, I hope it helped.

Cheers, h.
  • ryenday
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I’m age 49.

reduced your metabolism?

a metabolism problem?

I agree, there are probably too many variables. But I am genuinely curious what others have found.
    I likely was not logging as accurately when I started out. And it’s possible that being a lower weight now has lead to me being more active than I was at my heaviest. So it’s hard to say.

I was barely at a healthy BMI for 6 months of my adult life (lost a lot but gained it back), so as you said, very different end of the spectrum..
    I kind of relate on the pushback though, many people have written me off as “super athlete” and the like when I share my intake. But I’ve over eaten the majority of my life, maybe that plays a roll as well...
    I’m averaging 8k steps per day and maybe 6-8 hours of gym time per week, which I would hardly consider extreme. I’m also definitely not bodybuilder status when it comes to lean body mass. More so than the average person I suppose, but from what I’ve read it takes an awful lot of LBM to have much of an effect.
    I fully acknowledge that I am not at a “healthy” BMI and may have a higher TDEE as a result, but that’s partly why I’m curious how much change others have seen as a result.

Shhhh. I have a secret. I don’t believe CICO is simple at all. Because I believe the CO part of the equation is so full of variables that CO for one person and CO for a statistically similar person are potentially many of hundreds of calories different for the same activity/intensity/length of time. I can’t worship at the altar of CICO because I don’t believe CO is knowable. And, even good estimates will be wildly different for different people.

I think CICO is true. I just don’t think it is necessarily even very helpful (from a weight loss perspective) in some cases.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

My net maintenance estimate went from 1490 to 1400 when I went from 135 lb to 118 lb. (And exercise calorie burn estimates drop along with it). As far as my actual maintenance, I don't know. At least for those who were couch slugs beforehand and aren't now and are comparing TDEE rather than net, this drop is probably more than negated.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,799 Member
    Options
    I think my BMR is 1500. TDEE is coming in around 1850. 59 yo. Just a little over 5 ft 1 in. Maintaining between 100 And 105 around 20% bf.

Everyone is,different.

If you are maintaining at a higher weight probably higher BMR or other variables. I lost 26 lbs in 18 wks eating 1050 max per day.

So if you are happy at say 140 or 150 and maintaining at higher calories that's ok.
  • Funnylittlenut
    Funnylittlenut Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    MFP says my maintenance is about 1350 at 4'9" and 105 lbs. ;( To lose weight I cut calories by 20%, so I eat 1080 per day. I don't have that much of an appetite but it's still sad.