Why are you doing it!

Options
David_Marquiss
David_Marquiss Posts: 86 Member
edited August 2017 in Motivation and Support
Everything comes down to why you do what you do, That is what will keep us motivated. Its easy to give up on ourselves because its easy to quit, you dont need to hold yourself accountable. But when someone is depending on you, watching you grow, they are holding you accountable. Its best to stay focused on why you got started in the first place. Id rather have the pain of disipline than the pain of regret. Im working hard to be an example in every aspect of life to my little girl. Showing you can Love animals and still make gains (stay in shape as well hahahaha ) What keeps you going?

Replies

• L0Lnikki
    L0Lnikki Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What keeps me going is getting a better career for my family. Buying a house so we don't have to rent & move when it gets too high. A room fit for her princess self!
  • David_Marquiss
    Options
    L0Lnikki wrote: »
    What keeps me going is getting a better career for my family. Buying a house so we don't have to rent & move when it gets too high. A room fit for her princess self!

Thats awesome! Your going to make waves in this world! Thats some great motivation!
  • NadiaSweety
    NadiaSweety Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good topic David,
    I am interested to ready what was your moment or driving factor that got you motivated? The accountability factor only helps me enough to do the minimum. Perhaps I should start calling myself a minimalists because that is the story of my life. I am still waiting for that A-ha moment to get my self in gear. Until them I will likely continue to be all wants and dreams and very little action.

I would love to say my motivation is something inspiring like 'I want make a difference in the world' or 'I want to achieve big hard goals so I can feel good about my journey' but when it comes to health and fitness I'm a lazy vegetarian who does the bare minimum to ease my conscious and maintain my dress size. I have been lucky enough to be relatively thin most of my life and have not had to try too hard to maintain that but I have never been strong or fit. Now I am over 30 and though I may seem the ideal to some, a slender 5'7" floating back and forth between 125 now 150lbs, I know with just a little effort I could meet and exceed my fitness goals. Maybe this time is the time I stick with it. Only time will tell.
  • TeethOfTheHydra
    TeethOfTheHydra Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I don't have a grand story to tell either, but I go surfing a week at a time every couple months (unfortunately, I live near DC so its not a local pursuit) and wanted to get in better shape so I'd have the stamina, wouldn't strain my back, and as a bonus, develop a lean muscular build to look good on the beach. Simple as that. I really love surfing and getting fit has made it a much more enjoyable hobby.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I want to be healthy and strong. I want my dear BF to go mad after my body (hey, it's not shallow, I just want to get in even more exercise for both of us!). I want to be a good example for the family I want to have. I want to be able to be there for everyone who is important for me. I want to smile when I look in the mirror in the morning and think "Good morning beautiful!" even before my BF gets around to saying it. I am greedy, I guess...
  • David_Marquiss
    Options
    Sashslay wrote: »
    Wish I could had some inspirational story but really I want to walk into a clothing shop and not be scared to try something on :)

( also I want my *kitten* to look good in shorts haha )

You dont need a insirational goal to start out. Its who you become on your journey that will inspire people. I think thats a great goal!
  • David_Marquiss
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »
    I want to be healthy and strong. I want my dear BF to go mad after my body (hey, it's not shallow, I just want to get in even more exercise for both of us!). I want to be a good example for the family I want to have. I want to be able to be there for everyone who is important for me. I want to smile when I look in the mirror in the morning and think "Good morning beautiful!" even before my BF gets around to saying it. I am greedy, I guess...

Lol not greedy at all! Working for a relationship that builds on the fire of passion. Thats awesome!!
  • PatrickXFCE
    PatrickXFCE Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of reasons; One of them is sciatica. I would rather not experience it so much when I walk. It's also good for asthma too.
  • David_Marquiss
    Options
    I don't have a grand story to tell either, but I go surfing a week at a time every couple months (unfortunately, I live near DC so its not a local pursuit) and wanted to get in better shape so I'd have the stamina, wouldn't strain my back, and as a bonus, develop a lean muscular build to look good on the beach. Simple as that. I really love surfing and getting fit has made it a much more enjoyable hobby.

You already have most of the worl beat man! Im terrified of open ocean and cant surf to save my life! Keep it up! Looking forward to seeing your progress!
  • David_Marquiss
    Options
    Good topic David,
    I am interested to ready what was your moment or driving factor that got you motivated? The accountability factor only helps me enough to do the minimum. Perhaps I should start calling myself a minimalists because that is the story of my life. I am still waiting for that A-ha moment to get my self in gear. Until them I will likely continue to be all wants and dreams and very little action.

I would love to say my motivation is something inspiring like 'I want make a difference in the world' or 'I want to achieve big hard goals so I can feel good about my journey' but when it comes to health and fitness I'm a lazy vegetarian who does the bare minimum to ease my conscious and maintain my dress size. I have been lucky enough to be relatively thin most of my life and have not had to try too hard to maintain that but I have never been strong or fit. Now I am over 30 and though I may seem the ideal to some, a slender 5'7" floating back and forth between 125 now 150lbs, I know with just a little effort I could meet and exceed my fitness goals. Maybe this time is the time I stick with it. Only time will tell.

Maybe your negatively motivated, make a list of everything you will miss out on if you dont maintain your health, or things you cant do and wish you could, or things you are afraid of slipping away as far as maybe doing a handstand. Or if theres any sport or physical hobby you have always wanted to do, go do it, it always helps me stay on track. You got this, its your time!!
  • Sashslay
    Sashslay Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »

Love love love this! I'm right there with ya!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Health. I just want to stay healthy as I age. And I'm no spring chicken.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm 62 and want to be active and fit for another couple of decades, or more. I've maintained in a 25# range my whole life. I've exercised my whole life. I don't want to give into the menopause, you're older so it's impossible to lose weight, etc, etc, etc, comments that I hear every day and I'm working on getting to a 5# maintenance range after gaining 25#.

It is possible to lose weight and be fit post-partum, post-menopause, post 60, and so on. It's in our own hands, how we all choose to age, whether we're 30, or 50, or 80.
  • Lyric_Momma
    Lyric_Momma Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My children (10 months and 3 years). Most importantly my daughter. I want to get to where I need to be while they are too young to remember mommy being fat. I want my kids to not struggle like I do and view food as the enemy. I want my daughter to be confident and not step on a scale multiple times a day or letting the number on the scale define how she feels about her self and how she thinks others view her. I am doing this because my kids look up to me. I want to be here for their futures. I'm also doing this because of my own father's recent heart problems and myself being prediabetic.
  • TranquilityBreeze
    TranquilityBreeze Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I have a few reasons.

1. Selfies with my teens! :)
    2. Buying nice teacher clothes.
    3. Medical purposes: I need a new knee and I have a pinned hip due to a break... all on the same leg. Less weight will help with the issues I am having with pain.

My goal is 30 pounds, but I won't complain if I can manage more. :)
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    we are having our first child in 6 months, and I want to be strong and more active by then.
  • David_Marquiss
    Options
    Great thread! I have a few reasons.

1. Selfies with my teens! :)
    2. Buying nice teacher clothes.
    3. Medical purposes: I need a new knee and I have a pinned hip due to a break... all on the same leg. Less weight will help with the issues I am having with pain.

My goal is 30 pounds, but I won't complain if I can manage more. :)

You got this, Bless you, looking forward to seeing your progress!!!
  • David_Marquiss
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    Well, my situation is probably different from most here in that I am here primarily to gain fitness and strength, to maintain - possibly gain a little weight - and to continue my decades long battle against eating disordered thinking (started at 14 and I am now 42. It was most severe at 18 and I was 24 hours from death).

I also have COPD (diagnosed at only 28 years of age, 65% lung function) and am determined to not allow it to hold me back from my fitness activities. I cycle, I do gym workouts, I did and hope to recommence boxing fitness, I was first woman back in my one and only 5k and hope to run again.

I also struggle with depression and keeping active seems to be the only way to keep that under control since all medications seem to make me worse over time. In fact, the last medication I was put on is the reason I am back after a 3 year hiatus, trying to build my strength back up.

Lastly, I wish to inspire others with a history of eating disorders or who struggle with physical limitations, to never give up and to use their powerful minds to overcome as many challenges as possible. I may slip back from time to time, but I am determined to never let myself fall again.

Your already an inspiration. Thats Truly amazing. As long as you keep getting back up you have won! Really cool of you to share this!