Why are you doing it!

Options

Replies

• David_Marquiss
    David_Marquiss Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    misnomer1 wrote: »
    we are having our first child in 6 months, and I want to be strong and more active by then.

Heck yeah! That little one is going to be looking up to you!!!
  • David_Marquiss
    Options
    My children (10 months and 3 years). Most importantly my daughter. I want to get to where I need to be while they are too young to remember mommy being fat. I want my kids to not struggle like I do and view food as the enemy. I want my daughter to be confident and not step on a scale multiple times a day or letting the number on the scale define how she feels about her self and how she thinks others view her. I am doing this because my kids look up to me. I want to be here for their futures. I'm also doing this because of my own father's recent heart problems and myself being prediabetic.

I can tell now, your Children will grow up to be very loving. You are an amazing mother! Thats your drive, write it down and look at it everyday. Nothing will stop you!
  • David_Marquiss
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I'm 62 and want to be active and fit for another couple of decades, or more. I've maintained in a 25# range my whole life. I've exercised my whole life. I don't want to give into the menopause, you're older so it's impossible to lose weight, etc, etc, etc, comments that I hear every day and I'm working on getting to a 5# maintenance range after gaining 25#.

It is possible to lose weight and be fit post-partum, post-menopause, post 60, and so on. It's in our own hands, how we all choose to age, whether we're 30, or 50, or 80.

For Real!!! Dont let other people excuses get in the way!!!!! Looking forward to following you in your journey!!
  • ashbabe25
    ashbabe25 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Because tbh, I don't want to become overweight the older I get. My grandma and all her sisters struggled with their weight as they got older and I don't want that.

I just turned 40 and I want to be healthy, fit and active as long as I possibly can.

...plus the longer I can pass as my son's sister the better. :D (He's 21 btw)
  • fragilefleur
    fragilefleur Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What's keeping me going now is what I've already been through as an overweight person and the fact that I bottomed out getting cancer from being obese last year. I am ok now but there are so many things that being obese has affected in my life to the negative and I want to tackle them one bit at a time. Some things I can't change now but maybe I can eliminate some of the things that will happen to me more immediately if I don't lose the weight.

Also my partner is diabetic and not eating well around her makes me feel guilty and ashamed for not being a good partner.

Also I just got diagnosed as pre-diabetic.

Also I feel better as I lose weight. So far lost 23 lbs and what I first noticed was fitting more easily into my seat in my car and that I don't take up as much space that makes me uncomfortable. I am moving towards taking the space that I was made to take, and not taking space that feels like I'm spilling into the world and it's not made for me as an obese person.

Also I have arthritis in my knee that is as a result of my weight (partly) and I want to be able to hike around here and enjoy the area's incredible small natural spaces taht I cannot access if I'm too overweight and my knees are killing me.

Also I had spine surgery in 1998 and resulting scars on the nerve covering. This means any weight pressing is causing more pain I'm sure. I have chronic pain and hoping that the weight loss will reduce this pain.

Also, I don't travel b/c I am overweight b/c it's too hard to do. I am missing out on time with family and friends, i've given up a trip of a lifetime to see a friend in Switzerland and gave up meeting a friend years ago in Holland due to being overweight.

Also just the really simple ability to fit into smaller and more fashionable clothing will be a cherry on top of it all. I used to dream of being able to do this and have spent a lifetime not being able to. I'm 50 and would like to have some chance at looking good despite my age and the impact my weight has had on my appearance. I want my youth back a little bit longer.

AND b/c being fat just sucks for me. I respect people who feel proud and happy in their plus sized bodies and wish I were the same but I don't. At all.

I want to reclaim my body and life.

Thanks for asking. I appreciate this b/c it's motivation after a tough week of struggling with my nutrition.

:)
  • kdb2bfit
    kdb2bfit Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This may sound selfish but I'm doing this for myself. I hate the girl I see in the mirror. I hate my weight gain and my belly flab. I'm disgusted with myself. But slowly getting over that.
  • David_Marquiss
    Options
    kdb2bfit wrote: »
    This may sound selfish but I'm doing this for myself. I hate the girl I see in the mirror. I hate my weight gain and my belly flab. I'm disgusted with myself. But slowly getting over that.

It gets better, just stay consistent, feel the pain of disipline rather than the pain of regret. You will be able to help so many people through their struggles because you have lived it and made it through!
  • David_Marquiss
    Options
    ashbabe25 wrote: »
    Because tbh, I don't want to become overweight the older I get. My grandma and all her sisters struggled with their weight as they got older and I don't want that.

I just turned 40 and I want to be healthy, fit and active as long as I possibly can.

...plus the longer I can pass as my son's sister the better. :D (He's 21 btw)

Thats awesome!!! And yeah the ageing process slows down as we take care of our bodies. People are living longer and longer, they say someone is alive today that will live until 150 years old!!!
  • megsybeth
    megsybeth Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this thread. It's actually something I sometimes struggle with. For most of my life I was very thin. It actually turned out I had undiagnosed celiac, so I was really malnourished. Once I was diagnosed and treated, I could start absorbing fat and nitrients but I also gained wait and understood what everyone had been talking about all those years!

But I didn't ever get "overweight", just jumped a dress size, then another. Kind of got into that frumpy mom thing. But when I tried on a bathing suit and could not believe what I saw, when my doctor said I could stand to lose a few pounds (moi?!!), I realized I'm in denial.

So I'm focusing on building lean muscle, and shedding fat and being honest with myself Day to day. I've always loved exercise and now really like barre, would love to be able to cruise through the push-ups but I know it's hard without getting rid of my extra 15 lbs.

• David_Marquiss
    Options
    megsybeth wrote: »
    Thanks for this thread. It's actually something I sometimes struggle with. For most of my life I was very thin. It actually turned out I had undiagnosed celiac, so I was really malnourished. Once I was diagnosed and treated, I could start absorbing fat and nitrients but I also gained wait and understood what everyone had been talking about all those years!

But I didn't ever get "overweight", just jumped a dress size, then another. Kind of got into that frumpy mom thing. But when I tried on a bathing suit and could not believe what I saw, when my doctor said I could stand to lose a few pounds (moi?!!), I realized I'm in denial.

So I'm focusing on building lean muscle, and shedding fat and being honest with myself Day to day. I've always loved exercise and now really like barre, would love to be able to cruise through the push-ups but I know it's hard without getting rid of my extra 15 lbs.

15Lbs, you got this! Awesome that you are going through your journey with your eyes wide open, and Definitely, sometimes we need to be reminded why we started to keep going!
  • David_Marquiss
    Options
    What's keeping me going now is what I've already been through as an overweight person and the fact that I bottomed out getting cancer from being obese last year. I am ok now but there are so many things that being obese has affected in my life to the negative and I want to tackle them one bit at a time. Some things I can't change now but maybe I can eliminate some of the things that will happen to me more immediately if I don't lose the weight.

Also my partner is diabetic and not eating well around her makes me feel guilty and ashamed for not being a good partner.

Also I just got diagnosed as pre-diabetic.

Also I feel better as I lose weight. So far lost 23 lbs and what I first noticed was fitting more easily into my seat in my car and that I don't take up as much space that makes me uncomfortable. I am moving towards taking the space that I was made to take, and not taking space that feels like I'm spilling into the world and it's not made for me as an obese person.

Also I have arthritis in my knee that is as a result of my weight (partly) and I want to be able to hike around here and enjoy the area's incredible small natural spaces taht I cannot access if I'm too overweight and my knees are killing me.

Also I had spine surgery in 1998 and resulting scars on the nerve covering. This means any weight pressing is causing more pain I'm sure. I have chronic pain and hoping that the weight loss will reduce this pain.

Also, I don't travel b/c I am overweight b/c it's too hard to do. I am missing out on time with family and friends, i've given up a trip of a lifetime to see a friend in Switzerland and gave up meeting a friend years ago in Holland due to being overweight.

Also just the really simple ability to fit into smaller and more fashionable clothing will be a cherry on top of it all. I used to dream of being able to do this and have spent a lifetime not being able to. I'm 50 and would like to have some chance at looking good despite my age and the impact my weight has had on my appearance. I want my youth back a little bit longer.

AND b/c being fat just sucks for me. I respect people who feel proud and happy in their plus sized bodies and wish I were the same but I don't. At all.

I want to reclaim my body and life.

Thanks for asking. I appreciate this b/c it's motivation after a tough week of struggling with my nutrition.

:)

Thats an amazing reason, people get into shape well after their 50s as well, you still have plenty of time to regain and hold on to your youth! You should get pictures of all the place you want to travel and hike, post them up everywhere, your car, your fridge, your doors, above your bed. Keep reminding yourself what your working for and that you WILL get there. I believe in you. Im going to add you as a friend if thats ok with you.
  • Akkael
    Akkael Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Why am I doing this? I would like to feel good in my own skin. To not feel like a disappointment. I'd like to not get those looks from family members. I want to be healthy. I would like to not be in pain.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm starting again. I lost almost 90lbs 2 1/2 years ago. I felt amazing. Happy. Comfortable in my skin for the first time. Then suffered a serious back injury. Couldn't do anything. Fell into a bad depression. And tried to soothe with food. Put back on 85lbs. Finally coming out of my funk. Finally have to ok to try yoga again. I want to feel happy again. I want to feel comfortable again. Down 18.6lbs since starting. Very determined.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    For me it's the fact I let myself get this fat and how absolutely gross I look. I miss being skinny. My goal is to get skinny again.
  • imeuge
    imeuge Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My wife left me for another man so turned to make myself a better person. Lost 10kg in a year and on a 260 day streak
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    There's no real alternative to "keep going". Well, there are alternatives to "keep going", such as suicide. However, even quitting one activity just gives one opportunity to do another. Now, to quit all activities and remain in bed all day is something I can't even tolerate on my vacations. I don't see at all how my wife manages to stay in bed 18 hours a day.
  • mamma_adventure
    mamma_adventure Posts: 235 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Soooo , I've started so many times, and got to goal once. I've around 28lbs to lose, my motivations this time...
    I'm a mum of 3 (twin girls and a boy), I don't want any of my babbas to have body hang-ups or any inclination that MAMMA has hang-ups!
    I have a family wedding on the 31st December, this gives me a time specific goal.
    I'm newly single, so feel I need to lose my mummy tummy to help with my confidence and start feeling good about myself after years of not feeling that great!
    I want to run a half marathon, so need to improve my fitness.
    I like the accountability of MFP <3
    Oh....and I have a wardrobe full of clothes I'd like to feel good in :D