LOW SUGAR OR LOW CARB

Options
2»

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Ultio70 wrote: »
    Carbs turn into sugar in your body so it's the same thing. I got rid of almost all the sugar in my diet and all the corn syrup currently eating low carbs and I've lost 18 pounds in 2 months. I eat a lot of protein and during this period of time has also gained quite a bit of muscle mass. So my diet is basically no sugar, very low carbs, high protein. Getting the diet right has been the hardest part for me.

You gained quite a bit of muscle while being on a big enough deficit to lose 18 lbs in 2 months?!?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Carbs turn into sugar in your body so it's the same thing. I got rid of almost all the sugar in my diet and all the corn syrup currently eating low carbs and I've lost 18 pounds in 2 months. I eat a lot of protein and during this period of time has also gained quite a bit of muscle mass. So my diet is basically no sugar, very low carbs, high protein. Getting the diet right has been the hardest part for me.

Do you know what protein turns into?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

The likelihood of losing a ton of weight (which is probably also a lot of glycogen/water from going low carb) and gaining muscle in that same period is very unlikely, especially considering low carb isn't even that optimal for gaining actual muscle.

OP, like others said, it's about calories. The healthiest places on this planet are mainly high carb. The bigger thing is finding a style of eating that can allow for adherence, compliance and that supports your goals.
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    For me personally, I just tried to stay away from 'added sugar' items, because those were the foods that I binged on. I still eat fruit and 40+% of my diet is made up of carbs. Sugar is not my enemy, but eating a whole bag of Reese's peanut butter cups in bed is. I don't find myself waking up with strawberry tops on my pillow in the morning...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

When I first started losing I lost about 20 lbs in 2 months. I did not go low carb, and since I did not consume much corn syrup ever, getting rid of it wasn't an issue.

My diet certainly was not no sugar, as I think eating 8-10 servings of vegetables is desirable and also consume some fruit.

I'd love to know how you know you gained muscle mass when losing at that rate, since it's not very likely and most people have no clue how much muscle mass they gain or lose until they are pretty lean anyway (and losing at that rate when lean would make it far less likely).

If it's a scale or hand-held device, those aren't going to tell you anything meaningful and would be off due to the rapid weight loss.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Today I learned how much sugar canned corn has. I love corn. I think I am learning to put some limit to sugar foods that I love. I am learning to read labels.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Eat foods that satisfy you and keep you full while maintaining a calorie deficit. For many people a low carb diet works well. Personally I don't feel full unless I get some carbs so low carb/sugar doesn't work.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

High protein and lifting is a good idea while you lose weight to help maintain your current muscle, but you're not putting on significant muscle mass if you lost 18 pounds in two months. You need a calorie surplus to gain/build or a deficit to lose. You can't really do both simultaneously.

You'll definitely see some new muscle definition due to your weight loss and probably some minimal gains due to being a new lifter and your muscles reacting to the extra work. But to actually add mass it takes a lot of work, and extra calories for your body to build with.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Today I learned how much sugar canned corn has. I love corn. I think I am learning to put some limit to sugar foods that I love. I am learning to read labels.

corn is high in carbs,even fresh so its not just canned. but carbs which are sugar arent bad for you
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I only ever eat in season corn, as fresh and local as possible, and I always end up with so much of it (get it from a local farm) that I am overwhelmed for a while and eat insane amounts of it. That's what's currently going on.

Anyway, I thought of this because I'm always in a rush to eat it as soon as possible because it's been drilled into me that if you don't the sugar turns to starch and you want it as fresh and sweet as possible.

Don't know if that's true (although I do find it's tastier the fresher it is), but this conversation made me think of it, since the idea is that sugar is good in corn eating.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do manufacturers add sugar to corn? I dont think i have seen that.. i know its high in sugar since its a starch.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    It's not added sugar, just innate, like other fruits and veg and sweet potatoes and so on.

I had beets with my lunch today, and corn, both quite sweet IMO.

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    drgnfyre wrote: »
    honestly, the best foods to eat to loose weight are non-processed, real foods. And steer clear of too much sugar. Sugar is the only food i would tell people to cut way back on. If your gonna eat sugar (and it's ok to have snacks), don't eat it in your everyday meals. Processed foods are full of hidden sugars. It not only adds calories you don't want, but the fructose in the sugar can not be used for energy until it made into fat. So half of all the sugar you eat is turning into fat right away. So my advice is eat whole foods you make yourself. If you are curious as to how much hidden sugar is in your food, read the labels every 4g of sugar is one teaspoon. It's in breads and canned veggies and almost everything, you would be surprised. Don't fear carbs or fats or protiens so long as they are whole foods you made yourself. As long as you watch your calories and stay at a deficit you can loose weight even if you ate sugar, however, i personally would rather get my sugar from a cookie and not my bread. By cooking myself I have lowered my sugar content a lot and as a result i can eat more meaningful calories without going over and i feel fuller. Also, watch the truth about sugar on youtube. You might not want to eat it after seeing that. Also, lowering your carbs won't harm you so long as you increase your fat intake. You can't go low carb and low fat. Going low fat I don't recommend at all. But, in reality, you shouldn't fear them if you get your fats from good sources like avocados, butter, lard, and stay away from vegetable oils, and your carbs from veggies and fruits that aren't processed n soaked in sugar. You will be amazed at how processing foods makes them less nutritious and aides in weight gain and feeling sick and tired. Pay attention to your dairy labels, some cheeses are not cheese.

Interestingly enough I lost 50lbs and improved all my health markers, including normalize a high glucose number, while eating all sorts of 'processed' foods-including those with -gasp- added sugar. I just began eating at the correct calorie deficit for my weight loss goals and the weight dropped/health markers improved.

Now 4 years into maintenance I've experimented with all sorts of eating styles/different kinds of food. What's stayed constant through it all though, is that I continue to hit my calorie targets for my weight management plan. That's what's kept the extra weight off and my health markers fantastic :)
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    low calorie is the answer. i tried doing low carb, 50 carbs a day, but i could not enjoy all the food i wanted to eat. so i watch all these things - calories, sugar, fat, carbs, salt, and keeping careful track on MFP. I am successful losing weight this way. by the way, I'm enjoying my food, except i need to learn how to use spices better, but thats doable :)

I also make most of my own food. Rarely eat out. That in itself will save you lots of hidden calories, fat and salt and sugars, if you knew the content of restaurant food, you would be shocked. some meals can have 4,000 mg sodium. BBQ has lots of calories/sugars from the BBQ sauce. so if your looking to save on macros, make your own food.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Wtn_Gurl wrote: »
    low calorie is the answer. i tried doing low carb, 50 carbs a day, but i could not enjoy all the food i wanted to eat. so i watch all these things - calories, sugar, fat, carbs, salt, and keeping careful track on MFP. I am successful losing weight this way. by the way, I'm enjoying my food, except i need to learn how to use spices better, but thats doable :)

I also make most of my own food. Rarely eat out. That in itself will save you lots of hidden calories, fat and salt and sugars, if you knew the content of restaurant food, you would be shocked. some meals can have 4,000 mg sodium. BBQ has lots of calories/sugars from the BBQ sauce. so if your looking to save on macros, make your own food.

all thats needed is a deficit. low calorie is not needed.especially if you are eating less than 1200(unless under the advice or care of a dr)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's not added sugar, just innate, like other fruits and veg and sweet potatoes and so on.

canned corn is usually in sugar water for preservation.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

canned corn is usually in sugar water for preservation.

Ah, I did not know that.