LOW SUGAR OR LOW CARB

Options
Which is the best way to lose weight, follow a low sugar diet or a low carb diet?

136319385.png

Replies

• jwash5472
    jwash5472 Posts: 11 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thank you for answering my question.

136319385.png
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    sugar is a carb...if you low carb you will by default be low sugar...if go low sugar you will most likely decrease your carb intake.

Neither is necessary for weight loss. That said, carbs are an easy macro to flex...my protein and fat tend to be more or less the same whether I'm losing or maintaining...if I need to cut weight I typically drop my carbs because something has to give...I don't go super low carb or anything though...usually 130-150 per day on a cut.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is pretty much your answer but personally I found it beneficial to cut down on added sugars which in turn helps eliminate junky food in general. I don't bother tracking my sugar on MFP because it tracks added and natural and all's I watch is added so I really have to count on reading labels. for example if I eat fruit I don't count the sugar because as was stated before it is already counted in my carbs, but if I eat a baked good or something I know has very low natural sugar I track the added sugar. I personally try to keep it at 25g per day or less of added but some days that gets shot to *kitten* lol. I found when I cut down on added sugar I have more energy and lost a bit of belly fat as well. Good luck!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    It really varies from person to person. A calorie deficit is what you need to lose weight. Which is the easiest and most comfortable way to create that deficit is high individual.

My diet tends to be high carb but low sugar and high fiber. I tend to skip sugar foods in favor of wine when I can't fit in both but fiber really fills me up. I never gave up sugar foods, they were just a low priority for me. But that is just me and my preferences.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Watching added sugars is super easy for me.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight. The trick is to find the right balance that works for you. Normally foods that fill you up without causing you to binge eat are the way to go. If having sweet foods with refined carbs leaves you hungry soon afterwards and causes you to eat more, resulting in overeating then avoiding those foods is the way to go. If you can stick with just a small amount and stay within your goals then include them. Many find foods high in protein, fat and fibre to be the most filling which is why these types of foods are favoured for weight loss.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Have you been logging for very long? What do your stats tell you about your current eating patterns?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    sugar is a carb...if you low carb you will by default be low sugar...if go low sugar you will most likely decrease your carb intake.

Neither is necessary for weight loss. That said, carbs are an easy macro to flex...

All this.

When I first cut calories, however, I looked through my diet and found ways to cut calories from excess fat (I used too much oil, mostly, and would be careless about portions of nuts) and excess carbs (I mindlessly ate overly large servings of starchy sides that I wouldn't miss if consumed in lower amounts) and, to some extent, excess fat/carb combos (mindless or stress eating whatever snack food appeared at work).

I am kind of low carb (and thus low sugar) now, but for weight loss it was about the easiest way to cut calories.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a carb. If you go low carb, you're automatically low sugar. But the best way to lose weight is calorie reduction.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    drgnfyre wrote: »
    honestly, the best foods to eat to loose weight are non-processed, real foods.

When people write something like this, I wonder if they realize what "processed" means and how many foods are processed. If I make a fast pasta dinner based on whole wheat pasta (dried), and a homemade topping with lots of vegetables sauteed with some garlic in olive oil, plus some shrimp, and then maybe some pinenuts and fresh herbs, that's pretty healthy and that it's easy is a bonus. That the pasta is "processed" makes no difference. And no, it does not have added sugar, the sugar in that dish comes from the vegetables.
    Sugar is the only food i would tell people to cut way back on. If your gonna eat sugar (and it's ok to have snacks), don't eat it in your everyday meals.

It depends on how much sugar someone is eating (and where from) doesn't it? I mean, before you claim that they should cut back.

As for sugar in every day meals, one of current favorite meals is a salad with steak and a peach, with a slightly spicy homemade dressing. The only sugar is from the vegetables and the peach, of course, but peaches have a high sugar content (if I used sriracha in the dressing that would add a bit more).

Is this really a problem?

I really don't see how regular meals would be a significant source of sugar. Dessert foods, sure. Sugary cereal, sure. But even the scare stuff about sugar! in! bread! oh! no! ignores the fact that the amount is not all that much. The percentage of added sugar in the diet from savory items is generally low.

(And I checked when I first started logging because you hear about this SO ridiculously much, and discovered that essentially none of the "processed" products I buy had added sugar but for the ones that obviously do, like ice cream. It's possible my shopping patterns are just different from yours, but that's why this assumption that everyone not flipping out over added sugar is eating tons of it is so irritating.)
    Processed foods are full of hidden sugars.

Again, plenty of them are not, and none of them are hidden anyway.

I often think these anti processed food screeds are from people who consumed a huge amount of ultra processed foods and assume that's what everyone else is mostly eating. I know what's in the foods I eat.

I will let others deal with the other things, like fructose.

Agreed. About 50% of my diet could be considered processed, and I hardly ever go over the MFP sugar number. And when I do, it's usually due to obviously sugary special occasion food, like birthday cake.
  • Holly_981
    Holly_981 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Neither. And neither of those things are bad for you unless you are having huge amounts of them. 80:20 approach (80% healthy, 20% "treats") is a good, long term approach to weight loss. Move more than you eat and you'll lose weight.