Example of why people keep asking the same old questions...

Options
It's no wonder we see the same old "sugar detox", "carbs bad", "fats bad", etc when you have an article like this on cnn....SMH
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/09/health/sugar-detox-food-drayer/index.html

Replies

• edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    The lie has been bought into lock, stock, and barrel that certain foods or ingredients must be forbidden. Honestly, we will never be rid of it. All we can do is patiently explain.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Oh, and this quote:
    "By the fourth day, an apple tastes like candy," Alpert said. "The onions are sweet! Almonds are sweet! Once you take sugar away from your diet cold turkey, your palate recalibrates, and you start tasting natural sugars again."

reinforces a theory of mine.

This quote, or something like it, always appears in anti-sugar articles. It's always repeated in sugar detox threads. Everyone who gives up sugar suddenly "discovers" that fruit is sweet.

I, and other users who still eat sugar are puzzled by this, because to us, fruit is now and always has been sweet. Heck, there are vegetables that are sweet. I have a discriminating palate. I can tell when I get a sweet cucumber, for example. Cherry tomatoes are like candy. Like the piece said, I know almonds are sweet. And yet, I eat sugar.

Could it be, maybe, I haven't fallen for some line telling me that I have to give up sugar in order to really appreciate the fact that all these other things are sweet? Hmmmmm.....

So much truth in this! I just munched on grape tomatoes and carrots and they were both super sweet. It's not candy (which is sometimes too sweet), but it's definitely sweet. I'm a total sugar lover, too, so it's not like the veggies only taste sweet because I don't eat sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, and this quote:
    "By the fourth day, an apple tastes like candy," Alpert said. "The onions are sweet! Almonds are sweet! Once you take sugar away from your diet cold turkey, your palate recalibrates, and you start tasting natural sugars again."

This quote, or something like it, always appears in anti-sugar articles. It's always repeated in sugar detox threads. Everyone who gives up sugar suddenly "discovers" that fruit is sweet.

I, and other users who still eat sugar are puzzled by this, because to us, fruit is now and always has been sweet. Heck, there are vegetables that are sweet. I have a discriminating palate. I can tell when I get a sweet cucumber, for example. Cherry tomatoes are like candy. Like the piece said, I know almonds are sweet. And yet, I eat sugar.

Could it be, maybe, I haven't fallen for some line telling me that I have to give up sugar in order to really appreciate the fact that all these other things are sweet? Hmmmmm.....

Yup.

As I've said before, not only did I appreciate the sweetness of fruit when I ate more sugary foods (and fail to appreciate them more when I gave up added sugar for a while), I find it entirely possible to enjoy some sweet foods while finding others too sweet and not enjoying sugar in places that to me it does not belong (like honey mustard, ugh, or sweetened coffee!).

The time of year I eat the most sweet stuff is around Christmas, and I also eat a lot of clementines around then, and find them -- wait for it! -- extremely sweet and delicious.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Oh, and this quote:

Yup.

As I've said before, not only did I appreciate the sweetness of fruit when I ate more sugary foods (and fail to appreciate them more when I gave up added sugar for a while), I find it entirely possible to enjoy some sweet foods while finding others too sweet and not enjoying sugar in places that to me it does not belong (like honey mustard, ugh, or sweetened coffee!).

The time of year I eat the most sweet stuff is around Christmas, and I also eat a lot of clementines around then, and find them -- wait for it! -- extremely sweet and delicious.

Do you buy those adorable boxes of Clementines? I wait for them around that time of year, because that's when they're at the most delicious.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    I have been watching my sugar and corn out of a can tasted sweet. There is a lot of truth to the article. We are consuming way too much sugar.

I can eat corn while sipping soda and can still enjoy the sweetness of corn.

I can go back and forth between a sweet drink and something like unsweetened iced tea without issues.

Everything in moderation.

There used to be a local gelato place here that made a Jersey Silver Queen gelato. Because Jersey Silver Queen corn is that sweet. It was probably the best gelato I've ever had.

I can't wait until it's in season.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Oh, and this quote:

Yup.

Do you buy those adorable boxes of Clementines? I wait for them around that time of year, because that's when they're at the most delicious.

My family tears through those boxes of clementines like a tornado through the Midwest.

Same here, I eat sweet stuff, but can easily taste the sweetness in fruits and vegetables.

It just really irked me that this was up towards the top of the page on cnn.com. Not to mention while standing in line at the grocery store and there's all these magazines essentially saying the same damn thing, plus lines like "Go Low Carb and Loose that Baby Weight" and a whole bunch of other ridiculous headlines. I mean, it's no wonder people are confused!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I have been watching my sugar and corn out of a can tasted sweet. There is a lot of truth to the article. We are consuming way too much sugar.

Check the label. There's a reason that corn tasted sweet, and it wasn't the fact that you've been cutting sugar out.

Yep. 7g ofsugar in a serving of no salt added canned corn.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

Check the label. There's a reason that corn tasted sweet, and it wasn't the fact that you've been cutting sugar out.

Also the reason it's used in making delicious whiskeys and bourbons, lots of fermentable sugars.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Also the reason it's used in making delicious whiskeys and bourbons, lots of fermentable sugars.

And Soft drinks and candy.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Corn. I had no idea it had so much natural sugar. I'm still learning. Time to read labels. I wonder if there is corn that is NOT sweet. And I hope that corn has never been manipulated to be sweeter.