Example of why people keep asking the same old questions...

Options

Replies

• Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Corn. I had no idea it had so much natural sugar. I'm still learning. Time to read labels. I wonder if there is corn that is NOT sweet. And I hope that corn has never been manipulated to be sweeter.

High fructose corn syrup...corn most definitely is made into a sweetener.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Corn. I had no idea it had so much natural sugar. I'm still learning. Time to read labels. I wonder if there is corn that is NOT sweet. And I hope that corn has never been manipulated to be sweeter.

All fruits and veggies have been manipulated by selective breeding since humans started farming.

There is corn that isn't sweet. It's usually made into things like corn meal and animal feed.

Hominy
  • vlnielsen519
    vlnielsen519 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was just reading this MFP blog, interesting comments from nutritionists about how cutting out entire food groups or eliminating foods will do the opposite of helping you lose weight:
    [The 11 Most Common Weight-Loss Blunders Dietitians See | MyFitnessPal](http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/common-weight-loss-blunders-dietitians-see/)
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I have been watching my sugar and corn out of a can tasted sweet. There is a lot of truth to the article. We are consuming way too much sugar.

Check the label. There's a reason that corn tasted sweet, and it wasn't the fact that you've been cutting sugar out.

Also the reason it's used in making delicious whiskeys and bourbons, lots of fermentable sugars.

And Soft drinks and candy.

Rather have bourbon.....
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I was just reading this MFP blog, interesting comments from nutritionists about how cutting out entire food groups or eliminating foods will do the opposite of helping you lose weight:
    [The 11 Most Common Weight-Loss Blunders Dietitians See | MyFitnessPal](http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/common-weight-loss-blunders-dietitians-see/)

I learned a long time ago to ignore the blogs from MFP. They're often written by someone with an agenda and/or who looks at health/fitness/nutrition from a singular point of view.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

I learned a long time ago to ignore the blogs from MFP. They're often written by someone with an agenda and/or who looks at health/fitness/nutrition from a singular point of view.

You could easily extrapolate that to 99% of the internet, which is why I read so little of it anymore. I don't have time to parse all of the available research, so I'm screwed once the likes of Lyle McDonald are gone.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

You could easily extrapolate that to 99% of the internet, which is why I read so little of it anymore. I don't have time to parse all of the available research, so I'm screwed once the likes of Lyle McDonald are gone.

No argument from me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have been watching my sugar and corn out of a can tasted sweet. There is a lot of truth to the article. We are consuming way too much sugar.

I never eat corn out of a can, but I currently have a ton of corn on the cob, and as always corn tastes sweet. That's why it's sweet corn. Corn has a lot of natural sugar, it is sweet. You don't need to cut all added sugar out of one's diet to taste it.

Edit: I see it was all covered above. I love corn discussions, so am sad I missed it.

And yeah, sweet corn (although it's usually just called corn in the US) is the kind we eat. The kind for animals and so on is much less sweet, you probably wouldn't enjoy it so much, at least on its own (it's in stuff).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

Who is this "we" you're talking about?

This too.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Oh, and this quote:
    "By the fourth day, an apple tastes like candy," Alpert said. "The onions are sweet! Almonds are sweet! Once you take sugar away from your diet cold turkey, your palate recalibrates, and you start tasting natural sugars again."

reinforces a theory of mine.

This quote, or something like it, always appears in anti-sugar articles. It's always repeated in sugar detox threads. Everyone who gives up sugar suddenly "discovers" that fruit is sweet.

I, and other users who still eat sugar are puzzled by this, because to us, fruit is now and always has been sweet. Heck, there are vegetables that are sweet. I have a discriminating palate. I can tell when I get a sweet cucumber, for example. Cherry tomatoes are like candy. Like the piece said, I know almonds are sweet. And yet, I eat sugar.

Could it be, maybe, I haven't fallen for some line telling me that I have to give up sugar in order to really appreciate the fact that all these other things are sweet? Hmmmmm.....

Yup.

As I've said before, not only did I appreciate the sweetness of fruit when I ate more sugary foods (and fail to appreciate them more when I gave up added sugar for a while), I find it entirely possible to enjoy some sweet foods while finding others too sweet and not enjoying sugar in places that to me it does not belong (like honey mustard, ugh, or sweetened coffee!).

The time of year I eat the most sweet stuff is around Christmas, and I also eat a lot of clementines around then, and find them -- wait for it! -- extremely sweet and delicious.

Do you buy those adorable boxes of Clementines? I wait for them around that time of year, because that's when they're at the most delicious.

I do. Winter treat.
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My anecdotal experience is that cutting out artificial sweeteners made a difference in my ability to taste the sweetness of sugar. And like a previous poster stated, it didn't happen after 4 days, it was gradual over the course of a few months.

I've never tried cutting out real sugar, never felt the need. It was the artificial sugar that made the difference for me.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Never made a difference to me. I find the idea that one cannot taste the sweetness of sugar puzzling.
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    i did notice that when i started cutting out most of the added sugars in my food, two weeks in everything tasted sweeter. worse was we went to our cookbook club and two people had made little tarts - one chocolate, one peanut butter - and it was too much for me whereas previously i could have eaten those little tarts and asked for seconds.

it's not that i wasn't aware that fruit or veggies were sweet before, but my experience was that when i started limited the added sugar, everything got 'sharper' tastewise and i could discern sweetness better.

artificial sweetners make me gag, but i wasn't a fan prior to changing my food habits.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Well that article was...interesting. Only thing I'd add about it is from a personal perspective.

I have a LOT of allergies, and when doctors were trying to figure out what was going on, I had to go on a very intense elimination diet. I literally only had less than 10 foods I could eat for a few months, which did not include any fruits or sugars. So I'd like to just respond to the idea of cutting out sugar and fruits and whether that makes any difference.

1. "Fruit tastes like candy" - yeah, I call BS. It doesn't. However, that said, dropping the sweetest food in your diet for a long period - sugar - is going to alter your tastebuds' perception of that flavor. It's not much different than having a lot of lights on in the house, and you turn off the brightest one - the dimmer lights are going to seem a LOT brighter after you've been in the darkness for a while, you know?

So yes, ALL slightly sweet foods taste much sweeter without added sugar in the diet.

But even then, the fruits and almonds still don't taste like 'candy.' At least not to me - I could still quite clearly tell you whether something had sugar added to it or not, because the sugar WAS sweeter. But the fruits' sweetness was significantly more pleasurable after a long time with no real sweet flavors.

2. Your taste buds change within days - yeah, BS again, at the idea that this happens for everyone. It takes MUCH longer. You might notice a small change, but it's near the end of the month when things are really noticeable (at least it was for me). But this happens with anything. You stop eating ANY flavor for a very long time, you become much more sensitized to it. Salt, soy sauce, broccoli, coffee, literally anything.

3. It's always so quirky when you see articles like this with a certain dietary recommendation and there really is very little to base the details on. Why drop fruits? Why drop for X number of days? That quite literally seems to be arbitrarily made up by the dietician who came up with the diet, and much of that seems to be based on her own opinions rather than facts.

Although all that said, I do actually believe less sugar can be better for you, because there is some pretty good research to back it up. There's some interesting research on those who do seem to be able to develop addiction-like reactions to sugar consumption and withdrawal, as well, even if that doesn't apply to everyone. And, well, as I turned out to be allergic to sugar cane, I don't have a lot of personal stock in worrying about losing it anymore. ^_^

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    On the corn topic, I know the fields in the Fraser Valley of BC do some sneaky things with their corn. The outer rows nearest the road are silage corn. The Sweet corn (and it is really good corn) doesn't start until 2-3 rows back from the road.

Too many issues with people coming and picking their own.

All the farmers near me do this, too. But it's the first 12 rows and it's to keep the deer from eating the good stuff.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Never made a difference to me. I find the idea that one cannot taste the sweetness of sugar puzzling.

I'm the queen of Splenda. My taste buds work just fine.

Addressing some other posts while I'm at it...

There are plenty of baked goods that I find to be too sweet.

For years I was lauded as a wonderful baker and everyone wanted to know what my secret was. It was really simple. I cut the sugar in every recipe I made by about 1/3 - 1/2 and upped the vanilla and cinnamon if it called for it. That was it.

In fact, there are plenty of things I find to be cloyingly sweet and really can't stand like candy corn and marshmallows. Ick.

And yet, I eat sugar and artificial sweeteners.

Today, I ate some plain Cheerios. Dry. They were sweet to me. They have added sugar, but it's one gram in a serving. That's not much. Do Cheerios taste sweet to all of you with rediscovered taste buds?
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

I'm the queen of Splenda. My taste buds work just fine.

Addressing some other posts while I'm at it...

There are plenty of baked goods that I find to be too sweet.

For years I was lauded as a wonderful baker and everyone wanted to know what my secret was. It was really simple. I cut the sugar in every recipe I made by about 1/3 - 1/2 and upped the vanilla and cinnamon if it called for it. That was it.

In fact, there are plenty of things I find to be cloyingly sweet and really can't stand like candy corn and marshmallows. Ick.

And yet, I eat sugar and artificial sweeteners.

Today, I ate some plain Cheerios. Dry. They were sweet to me. They have added sugar, but it's one gram in a serving. That's not much. Do Cheerios taste sweet to all of you with rediscovered taste buds?

I find this "too sweet" odd myself. My wife sometimes says something is too sweet and I've heard other people say the same thing but I honestly have never found something too sweet. And believe me I can eat all the deserts!