Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you think campfires are a necessary part of camping?

Options
NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
Camping itself isn't a fitness activity, but it's often done to facilitate things like hiking, swimming, and canoeing.

Everybody loves a good campfire. Some people require one. In the national parks, it's easier to get a permit (because there's less competition) for a backcountry site that doesn't allow campfires than one that does.

Do you typically have fires when you camp? Will you camp without one? Does this change for you based on the weather, or whether you're in the front or back country?

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Yes, we generally have a campfire when possible and it's certainly part of the whole camping tradition for us, but it's not a make or break. We've camped in the rain, or where fires weren't allowed or when we just couldn't get any wood, and never considered the trip diminished at all, since our primary focus is playing in the outdoors, and roasting marshmallows and dozing in front of the embers is just a great add-in. :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Do you typically have fires when you camp?
    Yes.

Will you camp without one?
    Yes. We've had to camp without fires the last few years because of dry weather, forest fires and the resultant fire bans. Preventing forest fires makes for REALLY big fires once it actually eventually starts.

Does this change for you based on the weather, or whether you're in the front or back country?
    Not often.
  • TorStar80
    TorStar80 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm from Australia. You can't camp without a fire, it's the only thing that keeps the dropbears away.

Dropbear...?

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    not directly. but coffee is . . . so.

personally, i think the real question should be 'is camping necessary?' probably noticed i'm not a big fan.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    dropbear

wowsers. i looked that up and found this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsupial_lion

sure, long long ago . . . but how cool is that. a marsupial lion.

sorry bout that. carry on.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I usually prefer without a fire. You can't see many stars from the middle of a big city, so the night sky is a treat for me. When I camp, I can see the Milky Way. The Perseid meteor shower is going to peak this weekend. A campfire distracts from all of this. Also, the best camps here are at high enough altitude that trees are scarce and fires are prohibited.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I like campfires, but I don't like starting them. I know how and can do so, but I was burned badly as a kid and am pretty avoidant of activities that can burn me again.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Campfires are my fave part of camping. But, half the summer has a fire ban because it gets so dry where I live, so i make due without.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    We always have a "safe" camp fire and are fully aware of putting it out correctly. Camping isn't camping without a good campfire.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    TorStar80 wrote: »
    I'm from Australia. You can't camp without a fire, it's the only thing that keeps the dropbears away.

Dropbear...?

drop-bear-image.jpg

This would make me think twice about camping...
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It truely depends on where and when we camp.
    We generally don't do campfires late spring to early autumn.

We camp in the BC (canada) interior and it is a tinderbox.

My SO was with the ministry of highways, and his best friend MO forestry. We are too aware of what can happen to even think of having a camp fire most of the year.

I love the romance of them, but heck, I have a vivid imagination and can make romance out of a tin of beans.

Cheers, h.

Eta, we are still experiencing the heavy smoke from the fires in northern BC, I am close to the USA border and on an island.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    My husband has asthma, and has breathing problems around a campfire, so no.
    We have been known to move our camp if someone in the area has a fire, which is why we prefer backcountry camping where there are less (or no) people. We would never camp in a "campground" because we understand that this is a part of the experience for most people. But, no, we can't do it.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I usually prefer without a fire. You can't see many stars from the middle of a big city, so the night sky is a treat for me. When I camp, I can see the Milky Way. The Perseid meteor shower is going to peak this weekend. A campfire distracts from all of this. Also, the best camps here are at high enough altitude that trees are scarce and fires are prohibited.

BTW, I'm heading to the Boundary Waters in Minnesota next week for a canoe trip....I'm hoping to still catch some of the Perseid meteor shower.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I have camped without a fire an 2 occasions when the weather had been so dry that open fires were banned at the time. You could only burn charcoal for cooking. No wood fires. It wasn't nearly as much fun.

Yeah, I definitely want the campfire. But I will camp without it.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    A campfire is a nice-to-have, not a necessity. When we go on family campouts, they are almost nearly a requirement. Same goes for Cub Scout camps and Boy Scout weekend campouts.

For backcountry campouts, it's a different matter. We've been out where there have been burn warnings, and no fires were allowed. We've also been out when it has poured rain, and there's no dry fuel for the fire.