Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you think campfires are a necessary part of camping?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I think I've only been once or twice without a fire and it was fine, although in my mind camping involves a fire.
  • hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    The campfire is definitely a requirement for me! I camp frequently and have been forced by thunderstorms and downpours to forgo the campfire and it really takes away from the whole experience. I love the smell, watching the flames, s'mores and cooking meals over the fire.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    I usually prefer without a fire. You can't see many stars from the middle of a big city, so the night sky is a treat for me. When I camp, I can see the Milky Way. The Perseid meteor shower is going to peak this weekend. A campfire distracts from all of this. Also, the best camps here are at high enough altitude that trees are scarce and fires are prohibited.

BTW, I'm heading to the Boundary Waters in Minnesota next week for a canoe trip....I'm hoping to still catch some of the Perseid meteor shower.

I hope it's a fantastic show for you! :smile:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    I don't like the smell of campfires, so no.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    I love a good fire so yes. I have camped without one when it has been raining. If I'm camping where one is not allowed I would not make one.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I've been an avid camper for much of my life and while not a necessity, a campfire is nice to have. When my wife and I did more backpacking and back country camping, it really was just dependent on if we were in an area where we could find fuel as well as the weather conditions...we start getting monsoon thunderstorms here in July and they run through September, so it can be hard to find dry fuel when in the back country.

These days with kids, we're in a travel trailer either in a designated forest service campground or boondocking off one of the many forest roads. Unless we are under a no burn, we have a fire and I usually bring my own wood.

We usually get it going in the early evening before dark and enjoy some beers or cocktails and then dinner. We get the kids to bed at dark and then throw another log or so on and have another couple beers while the fire slowly dies down...once it's down we spend a good 30 minutes or so just watching the stars, though sometimes the canopy is such that we can't see much.

We keep our fires relatively small...I've had friends camp with us and start throwing on a bunch of logs and it irritates me because the fire is just too big...don't need 8 ft flames...
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    I have camped without a fire an 2 occasions when the weather had been so dry that open fires were banned at the time. You could only burn charcoal for cooking. No wood fires. It wasn't nearly as much fun.

Yeah, I definitely want the campfire. But I will camp without it.

Pretty much my answer.
  • NorthCascades
    We have those signs all over the place here, too. "Buy it where you'll burn it" I think.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    edited August 2017
    We have those signs all over the place here, too. "Buy it where you'll burn it" I think.

I've seen that as a tattoo

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member
    I've done a good bit of backwoods canoe camping over the years.

A campfire can be lovely, if conditions are safe, and there's a responsible source of fuel.

But I can turn out a decent meal on a tiny backpacking stove when necessary, no problem. In fact, for most actual cooking - not just keeping a pot of water hot, making s'mores, grilling meat/fish - the stove is superior.

And the better temperature control makes baking in the backpacker "oven" easier to get right. Fresh scones, anyone? ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I've been an avid camper for much of my life and while not a necessity, a campfire is nice to have. When my wife and I did more backpacking and back country camping, it really was just dependent on if we were in an area where we could find fuel as well as the weather conditions...we start getting monsoon thunderstorms here in July and they run through September, so it can be hard to find dry fuel when in the back country.

These days with kids, we're in a travel trailer either in a designated forest service campground or boondocking off one of the many forest roads. Unless we are under a no burn, we have a fire and I usually bring my own wood.

We usually get it going in the early evening before dark and enjoy some beers or cocktails and then dinner. We get the kids to bed at dark and then throw another log or so on and have another couple beers while the fire slowly dies down...once it's down we spend a good 30 minutes or so just watching the stars, though sometimes the canopy is such that we can't see much.

We keep our fires relatively small...I've had friends camp with us and start throwing on a bunch of logs and it irritates me because the fire is just too big...don't need 8 ft flames...

They let you bring in your own wood? Everywhere I have ever camped, this is a HUGE no-no. There is so much concern about bringing in bugs/disease from other places that I always see signs forbidding this.

Only when I'm camping in the area where my wood is sourced which is most of the time. We usually camp in the Jemez Mountains here locally which is about 45 minutes away from my front door and where my wood is sourced.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,989 Member

They let you bring in your own wood? Everywhere I have ever camped, this is a HUGE no-no. There is so much concern about bringing in bugs/disease from other places that I always see signs forbidding this.

Only when I'm camping in the area where my wood is sourced which is most of the time. We usually camp in the Jemez Mountains here locally which is about 45 minutes away from my front door and where my wood is sourced.

That's cool then. :)
    We are super-sensitive around here because of devastating damage from emerald ash borers.
  • cwolfman13

That's cool then. :)
    We are super-sensitive around here because of devastating damage from emerald ash borers.

I've never been asked either and I've been chatting with a forest ranger while unloading before...I guess if they asked I would just pull out my cutting permit to show where I cut it. Honestly, I've only ever seen those signs when I'm camping out of state, but I understand it's an issue.

I wonder if they post signs here in areas that are more likely to be visited by folks from out of state...the Jemez is pretty off the beaten track...
  • NorthCascades
    Speaking of sensitive...

In one of my favorite areas right now, the Diamond Creek Campfire is burning 10,000 acres. It'll go on until the snow puts it out. This is about 10 miles from the nearest road, so it was a capable hiker or group, presumably with some experience, who was responsible. It hadn't rained for two months before this, obvious fire weather. I don't know how that happens.

This is what a lot of the area looks like. It's actually a lovely place to hike, long after the fact. Give it ten years, the trees silver up nicely, the forest floor becomes a wildflower garden now that the sun penetrates to the ground. There are a lot of plant and animal species that won't be found in an established forest. You look at it and think devastation, but the place is teeming with life.

(Not saying we should set more fires. The air is brown with smoke.)

28404609564_ccfa2a0b21_o_d.jpg
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Always! And I would go so far to say that for me it is weather dependant. We have a campfire in our backyard 1-2 times a week during the summer even when not camping. It is the oddest feeling when we travel during the winter to a hot destination and when evening hits everyone goes inside. A campfire is our form of entertainment and facilitates great conversation in our group. It may be that we are just so deprived of moderate/warm weather in Manitoba that we do our best to spend a lot of time outside in the summer, or it may just be something we continued with from our childhood.

Bored? Have a campfire. Kids are driving you nuts? Go teach them to build a fire and then draw shapes in the air with your glowing stick. Hungry? Baked apples in foil or popcorn over the fire it is.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I don't do much backwoods camping anymore, but did when I was younger. I love a fire but have just gotten used to not being allowed to have one. I'm in the Interior of BC and it is usually banned during the summer months. I have a propane fire pit and, while it isn't a campfire, it will do for smores and smokies.

It is so bad here for smoke right now that I won't ride my bike to work.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    I have been camping all over the world. The only time I have been camping without a campfire was when I was in the Army. We did not call it camping though. Having loaded weapons and making things go boom did make up for the lack of a campfire.

Now, if fire warnings are in place, I cancel the camping trip and just will do day trips.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,997 Member
    edited August 2017
    I have camped and backpacked often in the past. While campfires have nostalgic appeal, they are wasteful and potentially hazardous.

I have built campfires at public campgrounds in the past but I've never built a campfire while backpacking, where the philosophy is to leave no sign or trace of your presence on the land.

I personally believe that this should be the same philosophy in camping as well. However, I know that few people (at least in America) share this POV which is one of the reasons why I seldom frequent public campgrounds any more.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    We have a portable Coleman campfire pit that folds up and stores in its own bag. It makes a decent fire for cooking and has a screen cover and a grate for cooking. We use it a lot.