Oh...THAT'S what you mean by 'easy' miles.

Options
2»

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Actually 180 works well no matter your speed. The only time I deviate from that is when I am 'really' busting my *kitten*. I hit 200+ during a 1 mile race. Otherwise it is pretty consistent. I'm 99% sure I learned that while running in the US Army. We always ran with a cadence which I bet was 180.

However, I agree to not worry about it. Instead focus your feet landing somewhere underneath you (so you don't over stride) and try not to lean forward. Overthinking steals from the fun of the run. :)
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Actually 180 works well no matter your speed. The only time I deviate from that is when I am 'really' busting my *kitten*. I hit 200+ during a 1 mile race. Otherwise it is pretty consistent. I'm 99% sure I learned that while running in the US Army. We always ran with a cadence which I bet was 180.

However, I agree to not worry about it. Instead focus your feet landing somewhere underneath you (so you don't over stride) and try not to lean forward. Overthinking steals from the fun of the run. :)

When you run at 180 SPM while doing a 10:30 mile, does it look like the Road Runner from the old Looney Tunes cartoons? :smile:

(edited to add smiley)
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Beep Beep.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I just can't. I have a training speed and I like it( 4.40-5 min/km, which is about 8 min/mile or a bit under I think). I run my short 14-16km runs at that pace, I run my 30+ long runs at that pace.... if I go slower I feel like I'm trudging rather than running and want to give up :(
    I'm absolutely rubbish at following training plans though. Speed work? Fartleks? Whatever other things one is supposed to do? I just... do my thing. Which is the only sustainable thing otherwise I'm afraid I'd start hating it..

An easy pace is relative. If you can hold a pace of about 5 minutes per kilometer or 8 minutes per mile for 30 kilometers (18+ miles), I'd guess that this is a decent easy pace for you. Or at least no faster than what your marathon pace should be.

I would hope that if your easy pace is 8 minutes per mile, you could run a shorter race like a 10K at 7:00 per mile or less, i.e. run the 10K in under 44 minutes. But you wouldn't want to run that pace for all your running.