Diet pills and supplements

Options

Replies

• queerpenix
    queerpenix Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    So is it basically caffeine pills are equivalent to things like hydroxycut?
  • lorbor93
    lorbor93 Posts: 39 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Diet and exercise. and vitamins. creatine if you want but it's not necessary.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My only supplements are my prenatal vitamins and the occasional protein shake or fiber supplement.
  • queerpenix
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    queerpenix wrote: »
    So is it basically caffeine pills are equivalent to things like hydroxycut?

Pretty much. The rest of the ingredients in Hydroxycut are basically Dr. Oz miracle garbage. Caffeine pills are probably more effective than Hydroxycut itself. At least caffeine does what it says it does.

You can look at the ingredient list on their website, then search the individual ingredients on examine.com, which is the most reliable and unbiased supplement research site on the internet.

Regardless, the effects of any "fat burner" pill, if any, are miniscule almost to the point of irrelevance. The placebo effect does more than the pill itself.

The general rule concerning diet supplements/"fat burners" is: If it works, it isn't legal; if it's legal, it doesn't work.
    Wow thanks for the input!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Their website has the typical disclaimer statements to keep them out of legal trouble. Here's one of them on the product page for their "Pro Clinical Hydroxycut":
    Subjects using the key ingredient in Hydroxycut® (C. canephora robusta) for 60 days lost an average of 10.95 lbs. with a low-calorie diet, and 3.7 lbs. in a separate 8-week study with a calorie-reduced diet and moderate exercise...

A couple thoughts:

1) Note the sections I bolded. In both cases, the subjects were in a calorie deficit and in the latter they included a moderate exercise program. That's what created the weight loss.

2) In the first group cited, the subjects lost an average of about 1.4 pounds/week. In the second, the subjects lost an average of about 0.46 pounds per week. Neither of those results are spectacular or even out of the ordinary, and are easily accomplished via simple calorie deficit.
  • Nazzle1993
    Nazzle1993 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Diet pills you buy in stores dont do anything, and those you buy online can kill you.
    I baught some diet pills online, after taking one, my body felt like it was vibrating, i obtained an uncomfortable amount of energy, but moving at all made me want to pass out. My HR was rediculously high, palpitatiins that hurt, and my temperture climbed. I went to work the next morning and was fired because my boss thought i was on amphetamins. I could not control the intense urge to move. It was so uncomfortable for 48 hours.

Never agiain. They should not be so easily accessable.
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Not good at quoting, so hopefully the person who asked is still reading.

Contrave is a combo of Wellbutrin and Naltrexone.

Wellbutrin, unlike most mainline antidepressants, is not an SSRI. In fact, Wellbutrin is usually prescribed as an alternative to people who gain weight on other antidepressants. It has also been used off label to treat food cravings, specifically emotional eating, for decades. In terms of clinical evidence, Wellbutrin does have an effect over placebo, but not more than obesity specific pills.

Naltrexone is an opiod antagonist which, long story short, takes away the euphoric feelings associated with opiod based drugs/meds. It has also been also shown to significantly control cravings for those that suffer from alcoholism. Naltrexone is not Naloxone (narcan) which reverses the effects.

Essentially, the combination of these medications is hoped to dull cravings by working in concert by affecting neurotransmitters and hormones in the amygdala and nucleus accumbens respectively (emotional and reward center).

I would be hard pressed to call this a "diet pill". This will dull cravings, but will not act as an appetite suppressant. It has no stimulant affect. You must watch what and how much you eat. That being said, I'm sure you could consider this cheating if you wanted to. It does have an effect on your brain chemistry.

I'm not on this, just figured I'd lay it out there for anyone who was interested.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Soylent turns my pee a light green.

7a0a6c397d441320a63ad06b4b29860f0c27887e647865e215f8740a74cff519.jpg

• GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I take biotin, a multivitamin, and fish oil. But I have no idea why because I think they are useless.
    I think I just can't wrap my head around throwing them out. Not repurchasing the first two for sure. Not certain on the fish oil. Anyone have thoughts on fish oil for omegas?
  • queerpenix
    Options
    Are specific supplements alright to take? For example I don't get a lot of potassium, so would it be alright to take that in supplemental form? A lot of things high in potassium I don't enjoy eating yikes
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I believe certain diet pills work...initially. Back over 20 years ago I was doing aerobics classes 3 times a week and watching my fat intake while taking Xenadrine. I lost around 40 pounds. It took about 4 years to add that weight back on. The 2nd time around with Xenadrine no weight loss, but still the desire to work out. I was doing an at home ab workout and developed uncontrollable abdominal muscle spasms that freaked me out so bad I threw the bottle away and decided I'd never take them again.

Now around 2010 I started Adipex (Phentermine) with a regular gym routine. I was happy, energized, and positive! I cleaned my clean house and loved to exercise. I didn't want or need for junk food and sweets. Adipex really does have some type of chemical make-up that keeps that in check. I've never tried Speed or Crack or Meth, but I've heard of people resorting to these types of drugs to get the same effect (crazy). I was a part of a weight-loss program where I received monthly B12 injections and weigh-ins with a Board Certified physician. I lost approximately 50lbs and felt great. When it was time to discontinue (3 months) I was nervous, but decided I could continue the weight loss without the meds. Wrong. I ate right, took my supplements, exercised the same.....but the weight slowly started to come back on. I didn't have the same energy or desire and eventually over 2 years time, put back on 40 plus pounds and actually got up to my highest weight ever. I did try Adipex again after that, no weight changes and diminished desire to work out. I don't want to get caught up in some addiction, so because it is a controlled medication I said NOPE, I'm done.

Now a few years later after skipping the gym for a few years, I've decided to count MACROS and continue to exercise at least 3-4 times a week. I'm taking daily B12, Magnesium Citrate,Vitamin E&C, and Fish Oil. I'm more conscious of what I'm eating and how much I'm exercising. I see the scale changing little by little and my attitude is different this time around.

So in my experience, diet pills can work, but mostly for a quick fix.

Considering that between 20 years ago... and 4 years later... the Xenadrine formula changed... It's totally understandable that it wasn't effective the second time.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    I am not ashamed to say I am a long time user of Hydroxycut Max for Women (not the pro clinical one). A lot of people say they make them feel jittery but it's mostly caffeine so I don't take them before I eat, I take them 15 minutes to an hour before I work out. They really help me get through some seriously tough workouts. I work 55 - 70 hours every week so without them, I don't have the energy to push as hard as I do. I don't rely on them for curbing my hunger or for getting rid of my excess weight on their own; I workout 5 - 6 times a week and I eat extremely healthy 85 - 90% of the time.

**Anyone who feels like they need to reply to my response on how I shouldn't do this because it's not healthy, etc, please do me a favor and save it. I'm not interested in your personal assessment of my choices, thanks.

the fact that you are a "long term user" suggests that they have not been the magic fix for you. as others said, save yourself a ton of money and just take caffeine pills if that is what you want.
  • melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    queerpenix wrote: »
    Are specific supplements alright to take? For example I don't get a lot of potassium, so would it be alright to take that in supplemental form? A lot of things high in potassium I don't enjoy eating yikes

There are a lot of bad things that can happen from taking too much Potassium. I would ask you Dr.
    If they tell you to get a supplement, only then would I do it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin and a few vitamin supplements (magnesium, riboflavin, CoQ-10, and Butterbur) prescribed to me by my neurologist as part of my migraine protocol.