Proper Min Age for dating the opposite sex?

Options

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options
    women outlive men by 10 years so.......

yeah, see.... I was thinking the same thing ( at least 10 years, right?)

I'm not very good at math but if a womenz is 20 years younger than her husband, there's a very good chance that she'll be around 30 to 35 years after he's gone.

that's a long time.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    women outlive men by 10 years so.......

yeah, see.... I was thinking the same thing ( at least 10 years, right?)

I'm not very good at math but if a womenz is 20 years younger than her husband, there's a very good chance that she'll be around 30 to 35 years after he's gone.

that's a long time.

This is how cougars came to be.
  • DreDay46
    DreDay46 Posts: 491 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've never heard of the half your age plus 7 rule before.....kinda makes sense though. I would probably go older than that.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    Eat2Brute wrote: »
    Age is just a number (as long as they're 18+). I'd just focus on their maturity level and maybe where they are in their lives. Oh, and obviously how well you guys connect.

bingo! My husband and I are 20 years apart, but he's my best friend and vice versa. We both swear our souls have been connected throughout time, because the connection and feeling of ease between us was immediate.

He's the bee's knees :blush:

OMG, this is the most adorable thing I've read today that did not involve a cat .gif. So, thank you for that. :)
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    I admit, I won't date too much younger than myself. I've always preferred older men for some reason.. For me it's about personality. I can handle older, ugly, etc.. What I can't handle is certain personality flaws. Weak men are out. Those who cry about everything just irritate me. Really it's weak people in general. "My bf hits me!" Well hit em back! Leave him! Ugh..

Hot heads are a definite no. I'm too laid back to deal with someone who insists on blowing up over inconsequential matters. It's childish and irrational. Life is to short to stay angry all the time.

Control freaks are a no. I'm a grown woman. I've never been in trouble. I've raised my kids and they are headed to college. If I want to go out, I'm going out. He can go with me if he wants but he can't tell me no. Don't trust me? Follow along. I don't care. But don't tell me it's time to leave. I don't have friends so jealousy is ridiculous. Dominant personality is attractive.. bullying is not.

This is why I don't date. (Or have friends in rl).. I'm too picky. And I really do enjoy being able to just drop everything and go wherever the wind takes me without having to consider another's feelings.

You, you I like. More women need to have this attitude.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    If you are both consenting adults, who cares?
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    Age is just a number (as long as they're 18+). I'd just focus on their maturity level and maybe where they are in their lives. Oh, and obviously how well you guys connect.

bingo! My husband and I are 20 years apart, but he's my best friend and vice versa. We both swear our souls have been connected throughout time, because the connection and feeling of ease between us was immediate.

OMG, this is the most adorable thing I've read today that did not involve a cat .gif. So, thank you for that. :)

You should probably get out more :D

J/K
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    What age of people are you used to being around? Do you enjoy being around younger or older people?
    I probably wouldn't aim to date anyone 10 years or more younger than me.
    If you never hang out with people under 30 socially now then 25 might be too young to look for dates.
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »

You should probably get out more :D

J/K

I probably should, but here is more entertaining than where I live. Whatcha' gonna do? **shrugs**
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    What I can't handle is certain personality flaws.

Drat !

• brockhampton
    brockhampton Posts: 211 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    never

edit: just read the post. idk why you are forcing yourself to date when you don't like it and why the age matters. i mean if you like college girls/guys, you're gonna still like college girls/guys even if you set 30 as the min age, and vice versa. just go date whoever you actually fancy.
  • lvmycats
    lvmycats Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    People have no control over their age, so I'd say as long as it is legal and consensual then date whomever you want. Harold and Maude displays this quite nicely :) It's my favorite film... o:)
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    It's all about preference. I prefer men within 5 years older than me. But I'm open to 5 years younger too.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    This is my rule of thumb:

If they're young enough to be your kid, too young.
    Old enough to be your parent, too old.

Anything else, fair game.

I completely agree with this. Personally, I'm uncomfortable if someone, who is old enough to be my parent, tries to hit on me. I had a guy, on a dating website, try to hit on me and he even confessed that his daughter was around my age - I was 19 at the time in case anyone is wondering - and kept asking me to go on holiday with him despite telling him how uncomfortable I was. He got blocked.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My husband is about two years older than me. I like it that way, were so close in age that aging together we should still be at the same activity level. The only time I would have considered it an issue was when I wasnt old enough to get into bars and he could for two years before me. However that time has come and gone. We got married when I was 21 and he was 23. You can date anyone that is at the legal age, but there is probably going to be a maturity gap and different activity levels.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    amyteacake wrote: »
    This is my rule of thumb:

If they're young enough to be your kid, too young.
    Old enough to be your parent, too old.

Anything else, fair game.

I completely agree with this. Personally, I'm uncomfortable if someone, who is old enough to be my parent, tries to hit on me. I had a guy, on a dating website, try to hit on me and he even confessed that his daughter was around my age - I was 19 at the time in case anyone is wondering - and kept asking me to go on holiday with him despite telling him how uncomfortable I was. He got blocked.

That's creepy as *kitten*! As someone in the reverse situation, I've had guys who are less than half my age hit on me, at least that doesn't feel as creepy as an old guy hitting on young girls. Way creepier to be the older one hitting on younger.

It was *kitten* creepy. He even told me what he wanted to do to me as well, which made me even more uncomfortable. Also had a guy in his late 50s try to hit on me as well and he got annoyed that I wasn't talking to him.
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    As long as she is 18 or older I don't mind. Of course...the definition of "dating" might vary the age range.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    A man has to be between the ages of 18 and dead for me. I've met very mature 18yr olds and 50yr olds that I am honestly surprised they don't still live at home.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    My personal rule is if you are closer to my daughters age than mine, you are out. LOL
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Just curious now. Age ranges of what to contact. I am 39. not really into dating but try once in a while. would making the min age of 25 and up. be ok to work with? or would that seem weird? would going 30+ seem more sane? and not freak anyone out?

I'm 42. Interested in an older man?