Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    BabyBear76 wrote: »
    HarlemNY17 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Why are you weight training for 4-5 days ? You don't really need to worry about the calories . Just get your protein in

Since one of her stated goals is to lose weight, she does in fact need to worry about her calories. Calorie intake drives weight gain/loss.
    I understand that but I'm talking about calories burnt from weight training . You don't need to count them as long as your eating in a deficit and getting in protein . I've been doing this for soo long and I've gained a lot of muscle while losing weight also.

At the same time?

I've been doing that myself. Over 5 month, I've had a 20lb drop in weight and some real gains in muscles/strength. Two days ago I discovered a crevasse that went from my neck to my cleavage while flexed from pushing myself. That's muscle. I developed visual pectoral muscles, along with other muscles all over my body.

Muscle tissue growth is not the same as muscle strength gains nor is it the same as being able to see defined muscles revealed by fat loss.

IIRC, you were obese at one time.

Muscle tissue gains are possible while eating at a deficit if progressively lifting in newbie lifters but it is usually obese males or teens doing this.

You have said you've run bulk and cut cycles, so it's disingenous to chime in that "this is happening" to you, because you might have muscle gains, but they would likely have happened on a bulk.

Well all of this^but also, how are you determining whether you've had muscle mass gains? Visually doesn't cut it and means nothing really. Have you gotten dexa scans? Hydrostatic body composition analysis? If so what was the base line and what were the subsequent scan results with dates? You've made this claim before and you've been asked this before but you've yet to provide an answer beyond your own anecdotal opinions.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Why are you weight training for 4-5 days ? You don't really need to worry about the calories . Just get your protein in

Since one of her stated goals is to lose weight, she does in fact need to worry about her calories. Calorie intake drives weight gain/loss.
    I understand that but I'm talking about calories burnt from weight training . You don't need to count them as long as your eating in a deficit and getting in protein . I've been doing this for soo long and I've gained a lot of muscle while losing weight also.

At the same time?

I've been doing that myself. Over 5 month, I've had a 20lb drop in weight and some real gains in muscles/strength. Two days ago I discovered a crevasse that went from my neck to my cleavage while flexed from pushing myself. That's muscle. I developed visual pectoral muscles, along with other muscles all over my body.

Muscle tissue growth is not the same as muscle strength gains nor is it the same as being able to see defined muscles revealed by fat loss.

Muscle tissue gains are possible while eating at a deficit if progressively lifting in newbie lifters but it is usually obese males or teens doing this.

You have said you've run bulk and cut cycles, so it's disingenous to chime in that "this is happening" to you, because you might have muscle gains, but they would likely have happened on a bulk.

It is muscle growth. The visible muscle mass is increasing. Not just visible due to fat loss. I am not an obese male nor a teen. I just work really hard at it. As far as increases in strength, there is no way I can go from having a hard time doing just barbell squats (not those sissy barely parallel - but full Olympic squats) to warming up with 180lb squats without muscle gains. There is no way my shoulders got 3" wider while losing weight without an increase in muscle. I also never stop trying to gain muscle, even when cutting, I ramp up cardio but maintain the lifting regimen to keep building. Also can you provide a link or at least explain how it's possible to increase (substantial) strength without and increase in muscle.....

Strength gains in a deficit can be the result of neuromuscular adaptations. Essentially, your existing muscles get more efficient. At a certain point there will be a rate of diminishing returns where the adaptations will max out. The existing muscle tissue can get more prominent and developed. That doesn't mean hypertrophy, increase in muscle mass has occured. This is pretty common knowledge. Google it if you don't believe me.

So, you still insist on justifying your claim of muscle growth with visuals. Visuals are not reliable. Again, have you had a dexa scan or hydrostatic body composition testing?? Yes or no? Stop ducking the question. Either you have or you haven't. If you haven't, you are only speculating and probably inaccurately so.

Yes I have have hydrostatic body composition testing. It's not speculation. So chill about being so knowledgeable about someone you don't know.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options

At the same time?

It is muscle growth. The visible muscle mass is increasing. Not just visible due to fat loss. I am not an obese male nor a teen. I just work really hard at it. As far as increases in strength, there is no way I can go from having a hard time doing just barbell squats (not those sissy barely parallel - but full Olympic squats) to warming up with 180lb squats without muscle gains. There is no way my shoulders got 3" wider while losing weight without an increase in muscle. I also never stop trying to gain muscle, even when cutting, I ramp up cardio but maintain the lifting regimen to keep building. Also can you provide a link or at least explain how it's possible to increase (substantial) strength without and increase in muscle.....

My shoulders look like they grew too.

You know why?

Because I lost so much arm fat that my shoulders are now more prominent than my arms are.

As @mmapags keeps reiterating, visuals are an unreliable indicator.

Also, you once again keep offering the intensity of your effort as evidence of the result you're claiming. That means nothing. I trained as hard as I could with weight lifting and plateaued with strength gains because I'm in that small percentage of people who don't make the neuro-muscal adaptations necessary to continue progressing. Doesn't mean I didn't work hard. Hard work =/= the result you necessarily think you're getting.

3" wider, isn't looks. It's a quantitative measurement. While there are looks changing. My determination for real changes are measurable changes. Body fat composition and percentage, diameter/width of various body measurements, and so on.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

At the same time?

Strength gains in a deficit can be the result of neuromuscular adaptations. Essentially, your existing muscles get more efficient. At a certain point there will be a rate of diminishing returns where the adaptations will max out. The existing muscle tissue can get more prominent and developed. That doesn't mean hypertrophy, increase in muscle mass has occured. This is pretty common knowledge. Google it if you don't believe me.

So, you still insist on justifying your claim of muscle growth with visuals. Visuals are not reliable. Again, have you had a dexa scan or hydrostatic body composition testing?? Yes or no? Stop ducking the question. Either you have or you haven't. If you haven't, you are only speculating and probably inaccurately so.

Yes I have have hydrostatic body composition testing. It's not speculation. So chill about being so knowledgeable about someone you don't know.

Whether I "know" you or not is utterly and completely irrelevant. Data is data. Testing is testing. You continue to duck the real question. If you did indeed have hydrostatic testing, you would have been tested at first and subsequent times that would show lean mass% and body fat %.

What were the results of each test? If what you are saying is true, this is easy peasy to prove. The fact that you resist showing actual results beyond your subjective assertions cast serious doubt on your credibility. Anyone can come on the internet and say anything. I can say I gained 10 lbs of lean body mass in the last week if I want. If I can't prove it with test result, I'm just blowing smoke.

So please, share the proof or be just one more person on the internet that posts things that they can't back up.

PS: I am very chill. You?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Meelisv wrote: »
    Strength training calorie burn is quite difficult to measure, But providing that you keep your average heart rate constantly above 120 bpm, 300-400 kcal per hour should be close enough.

Would be an over calculation for me. I'm 5'3 and 115, 46 and female. Depends on OPs stats as well.
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

Same here. Congratulations on doing something that is fairly difficult. Balancing calorie deficits and macros. Well done!

Thank you same to you ❤️
  • HarlemNY17
    Options

Define "a lot".

I started at 35.something%muscle . I just recently hit 40% about a week ago
  • HarlemNY17
    Options

How are you tracking this gain?

Body fat scale , pictures and just looking in the mirror. Big difference