Struggling to get in Protein

Hey There,

I wanted to start a thread and get a discussion going regarding protein. I have been lifting weights for a long time and never really started tracking my macros until 2-3 years ago. About 2 years ago I began supplementing my workouts with protein shakes etc. I have recently received word from my doctor that due to my kidney function and kidney stones that I need to stop taking the protein supplements as it is creating my protein levels to be through the roof. I still have been tracking the food I eat but am struggling to get protein in. I am not a huge nut lover so don't often snack on nuts, I do eat meat but find for snacks is where I am lacking on protein.

Any tips of meals & snacks to get in my protein that aren't protein shakes/smoothies?

Thanks in advance! :)

Diana

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Tuna eggs. Yummy.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,447 Member
    Chicken
    Eggs
    Cheese
    Halo top
    Protein cheesecake
    Beans
    Protein bars
    Fish
    Scallops
    Shrimp
    Quinoa
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Greek yoghurt and cottage cheese are good sources and you can add in fruit, seeds, honey and all kinds with the former.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Beef Jerky. Just watch the sodium. You can get reduced sodium versions.
  • Dianalouiselane
    Dianalouiselane Posts: 14 Member
    skymningen wrote: »
    Did you talk to your doctor how much protein would be okay? Because I don't see the difference for the kidney between getting it as a shake or a meal/snack. It is still protein you kidney has to metabolise.

It's the whey and soy protein from the shakes he said. He said normal protein from food sources are fine but not to supplement with protein powders.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    lane55 wrote: »
    Did you talk to your doctor how much protein would be okay? Because I don't see the difference for the kidney between getting it as a shake or a meal/snack. It is still protein you kidney has to metabolise.

It's the whey and soy protein from the shakes he said. He said normal protein from food sources are fine but not to supplement with protein powders.

Doesnt sound logical o_O Are you sure you didnt just fall into woo internet articles and try to blame a doc >.> or maybe he did....
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

The whey protein in protein powder is the same protein in milk. The soy protein in protein powder is the same protein in tofu.

I would suggest asking for a referral to a registered dietitian to find out what you should do, because what your doctor said or at least how it was explained doesn't make sense. I don't believe there is any difference between getting 20g of protein from a shake or from greek yogurt.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Some General Practitioners are not well versed when it comes to nutrition. They are guilty of giving some of the worst advice when it comes to diet. Just because they have MD at the end of their name doesn't mean they know everything... even if they pretend they do.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Why do you need to find more protein snacks if your doctor is telling you cut out protein?

You could just have less of the protein supplements...

Yeah the doctor wants me to cut out whey and soy protein from protein supplements and only get it from food sources.

Whey is food. Soy is food. Please take some time to articulate yourself in words that communicate something.

She is articulating just fine. Whether the doctor's opinion is true that protein from the supplement is processed differently by the body than from food directly I don't know.

Why would it be processed any differently?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Maybe he meant that your protein intake without supplements is sufficient with your kidney issues and that you don't need to increase it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    HarlemNY17 wrote: »
    Flapjacked protein pancakes or kodiak protein pancakes

Flapjacked contains whey protein isolate. If there is a medical reason for OP to avoid whey or soy protein powders (I'm skeptical), this wouldn't be a good idea.