Struggling to get in Protein

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Maybe he meant that your protein intake without supplements is sufficient with your kidney issues and that you don't need to increase it.

That could be it too. OP, contact your doctor for clarity. Monitoring protein consumption can be important when there are kidney issues - better to be safe than sorry!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited August 2017
    Some General Practitioners are not well versed when it comes to nutrition. They are guilty of giving some of the worst advice when it comes to diet. Just because they have MD at the end of their name doesn't mean they know everything... even if they pretend they do.

While true, this really isn't a matter of general nutrition...this is a matter of kidney impairment for which excessive protein is a bad thing and her doctor would know that...I believe the doctor is telling her that eating regularly without supplementation would be fine...not that she can just supplement her supplement with more "food" protein.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    lane55 wrote: »
    Why do you need to find more protein snacks if your doctor is telling you cut out protein?

You could just have less of the protein supplements...

Yeah the doctor wants me to cut out whey and soy protein from protein supplements and only get it from food sources.

Whey is food. Soy is food. Please take some time to articulate yourself in words that communicate something.

What's your problem? She's here for help.

OP any meat will have protein, dried meats like beef jerky, chicken jerky and turkey jerky will have a lot of protein.

You can have some egg whites in your meals or have boiled eggs as a snack that will pack some protein.

You can also find casein (maybe not if it's just dairy that you're trying to avoid), egg white, pea and hemp protein powders to help supplement.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    Why do you need to find more protein snacks if your doctor is telling you cut out protein?

Yeah the doctor wants me to cut out whey and soy protein from protein supplements and only get it from food sources.

Whey is food. Soy is food. Please take some time to articulate yourself in words that communicate something.

She is articulating just fine. Whether the doctor's opinion is true that protein from the supplement is processed differently by the body than from food directly I don't know.

I disagree. To specifically exclude soy and whey sources of protein is to exclude a vegetable source and a dairy source. The dairy source is also from an animal, and the possibility exists that the doctor giving the advice wants OP to avoid animal sources of protein. What's left? Fungus? Mushrooms have a little protein in them. Thank you for the "woo". I see that 2 others replied also commenting that OP wasn't communicating effectively.
  • cwolfman13
    Maybe he meant that your protein intake without supplements is sufficient with your kidney issues and that you don't need to increase it.

That's exactly what I'm thinking because it's logical...I think the OP is misinterpreting her doctors intentions here...
  • nycstems
    nycstems Posts: 25 Member
    Hey There,

I wanted to start a thread and get a discussion going regarding protein. I have been lifting weights for a long time and never really started tracking my macros until 2-3 years ago. About 2 years ago I began supplementing my workouts with protein shakes etc. I have recently received word from my doctor that due to my kidney function and kidney stones that I need to stop taking the protein supplements as it is creating my protein levels to be through the roof. I still have been tracking the food I eat but am struggling to get protein in. I am not a huge nut lover so don't often snack on nuts, I do eat meat but find for snacks is where I am lacking on protein.

Any tips of meals & snacks to get in my protein that aren't protein shakes/smoothies?

Thanks in advance! :)

Diana

Baked split chicken breast with bone and skin should give you 60g of protein for just roughly 550 calories to your diet. 8 oz wild salmon should give you 40 grams of protein for roughly 400 calories.

Best wishes on your healthy journey!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

OP any meat will have protein, dried meats like beef jerky, chicken jerky and turkey jerky will have a lot of protein.

You can have some egg whites in your meals or have boiled eggs as a snack that will pack some protein.

You can also find casein (maybe not if it's just dairy that you're trying to avoid), egg white, pea and hemp protein powders to help supplement.

She has kidney issues. She shouldn't be increasing her protein intake. Her Dr told her not to supplement protein so idk why she should eat more protein.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

She is articulating just fine. Whether the doctor's opinion is true that protein from the supplement is processed differently by the body than from food directly I don't know.

I disagree. To specifically exclude soy and whey sources of protein is to exclude a vegetable source and a dairy source. The dairy source is also from an animal, and the possibility exists that the doctor giving the advice wants OP to avoid animal sources of protein. What's left? Fungus? Mushrooms have a little protein in them. Thank you for the "woo". I see that 2 others replied also commenting that OP wasn't communicating effectively.

OP was clear on the point that her doctor wanted her to avoid protein supplements (not specifically vegetables or dairy or animal sources of protein) and get her protein from "real foods" (that is, not supplements). While I think the advice itself sounds a bit muddled, I think OP is communicating the doctor's advice (at least as she understands it).

While we can question the advice itself, I don't think she's doing a poor job of communicating.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Some General Practitioners are not well versed when it comes to nutrition. They are guilty of giving some of the worst advice when it comes to diet. Just because they have MD at the end of their name doesn't mean they know everything... even if they pretend they do.

While true, this really isn't a matter of general nutrition...this is a matter of kidney impairment for which excessive protein is a bad thing and her doctor would know that...I believe the doctor is telling her that eating regularly without supplementation would be fine...not that she can just supplement her supplement with more "food" protein.

Absolutely. I agree. I made this comment more in reference to him saying that she shouldn't get her protein from supplements... just food. The problem is, protein supplements are food. Now, if he meant she shouldn't supplement her protein intake, that is different. However, that is not what she said. Hopefully that makes sense.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    skymningen wrote: »
    Did you talk to your doctor how much protein would be okay? Because I don't see the difference for the kidney between getting it as a shake or a meal/snack. It is still protein you kidney has to metabolise.

It's the whey and soy protein from the shakes he said. He said normal protein from food sources are fine but not to supplement with protein powders.

He's saying that because that would naturally decrease your protein intake. As far as your kidneys are concerned, there's no difference between eating chicken and drinking supplements other than with supplements you can easily hit high protein targets...with kidney issues, you want to limit protein in general...so yeah, no supplementation and just eat normally rather than trying to replace your supplements with "food" protein...you're basically trying to supplement your supplement which is the last thing your doctor would want you do do with kidney issues I'm sure...

Personally, I think you're misinterpreting your doctors intentions...

This makes a lot of sense to me.

It's fine to ask someone for a clarification, but your last sentence came across rather rude.
  • cwolfman13
    OP, I think you need some clarification from your doctor...if you have impaired kidney function, you don't want to consume excessive amounts of protein regardless of where it's coming from. Protein is protein...trying to hit the same amount of protein you were hitting with supplements is going to have the same result as supplementing...
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I'm agreeing with those that think perhaps he meant decrease protein overall and the easiest way is to just stop supplementing.

Curious, what was your daily protein intake?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    OP, I think you need some clarification from your doctor...if you have impaired kidney function, you don't want to consume excessive amounts of protein regardless of where it's coming from. Protein is protein...trying to hit the same amount of protein you were hitting with supplements is going to have the same result as supplementing...

Definitely get this clarified. Eating a high amount of protein with kidney disease can be very disasterous
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member

She has kidney issues. She shouldn't be increasing her protein intake. Her Dr told her not to supplement protein so idk why she should eat more protein.

Agree. Whether doc is right or wrong about supplements, their diagnosis about the kidney issue stands.
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    HarlemNY17 wrote: »
    Flapjacked protein pancakes or kodiak protein pancakes

Flapjacked contains whey protein isolate. If there is a medical reason for OP to avoid whey or soy protein powders (I'm skeptical), this wouldn't be a good idea.

Oh yea then it wouldn't be a good idea . She wasn't really specific she just said other than shakes and smoothies
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    @lane55 How much protein are you currently getting?
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    My go to protien snack is a can of tuna or chicken, a hard boiled egg, a squeeze of mustard, a tablespoon of dill relish and two tablespoons of salsa (I make my own because it's dirt cheap and I like a variety of hot peppers). Mash everything together and just eat it with a spoon. Sometimes I'll eat it for 4 or 5 crackers if my carbs are really low.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    edited August 2017

Why would it be processed any differently?

It's all a matter of HBV proteins (High Biological Value, protein sources that contains all the necessary amino acids the body needs). HBV protein is used more effectively by the body than sources with incomplete sets of amino acids, which reduces how much waste protein there is floating in the blood.

Maybe you can ask if you can use soy-based protein powder to get the protein you need? Soy is the only plant-based protein source that is HBV, while whey isn't. If not, then pretty much all meats are HBV, so anything with low sodium and potassium should work as well.