Overnight oats!

Options

Replies

• buzz3d269
    buzz3d269 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    @buzz3d269 I'm sorry it turned out liquidy, but I'm glad you found a delicious remedy!

I also ate it cold (love my cold overnight oats!), but suspect the mix up was in converting the measurements - my measuring cup was already in use, so I converted to grams and used my scales. Nevermind, it's definitely a keeper, great for a guilt-free chocolate hit!

Haven't made overnight oats in a little while (I go through phases), but it was great timing, as I was unexpectedly called into work early, and was able to grab it out of the fridge and hit the road - otherwise I would have had to skip breakfast (ugh!)
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    This guy has a few awesome overnight oats recipes, I have tried 2-3 of them and they were all delicious and easy to make. Overnight Oatmeal Recipes

Which ones have you tried?! I wanna try his nutella and pb/chocolate one!
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Options
    This guy has a few awesome overnight oats recipes, I have tried 2-3 of them and they were all delicious and easy to make. Overnight Oatmeal Recipes

Which ones have you tried?! I wanna try his nutella and pb/chocolate one!

I tried the Nutella (very good), Strawberry Cheesecake and The Oreo one.

Ooooh definitely will try the nutella one first then! Thanks :)
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Options
    BROWNIE BATTER OATS
    - 1/2 cup Quick Oats
    - 1 scoop Protein Powder (I use vanilla)
    - 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
    - 3/4 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
    - 1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup
    - 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract

About 380 calories.
    Feel free to substitute the maple syrup for a packet of stevia to reduce calories.
    Tastes GREAT with unsweetened almond/coconut milk.

I finally tried this and it was kind of on the bitter side to me. Do you think reducing the cocoa powder to 1 tb would help? I also used stevia instead of maple syrup.
  • Sp8zmanSpiff
    Sp8zmanSpiff Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've also been playing around with overnight oats. My wife is more into chia seeds than oatmeal, so I am using 1/4 cup of oatmeal and 2 tablespoons of chia seeds. I'm also skipping the yogurt, using 1/2 cup of plain (unsweetened) almond milk.

@kimblesnbits, Try more sweetener to counteract the bitter, depending on the protein powder that is being used, the protein powder may be the source of the bitter flavor. Also, try adding chia seeds, 1 tablespoon. Good Luck!
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Options
    I've also been playing around with overnight oats. My wife is more into chia seeds than oatmeal, so I am using 1/4 cup of oatmeal and 2 tablespoons of chia seeds. I'm also skipping the yogurt, using 1/2 cup of plain (unsweetened) almond milk.

@kimblesnbits, Try more sweetener to counteract the bitter, depending on the protein powder that is being used, the protein powder may be the source of the bitter flavor. Also, try adding chia seeds, 1 tablespoon. Good Luck!

The other day I made overnight oats with quaker high protein banana nut, 1/2 bottle premier protein banana flavor and chia seeds to thicken. It was amazing!! I do love chia seeds but the brownie batter oats were too thick already so i didnt bother adding chia seeds.
  • CeciliaBobilia
    CeciliaBobilia Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    BROWNIE BATTER OATS
    - 1/2 cup Quick Oats
    - 1 scoop Protein Powder (I use vanilla)
    - 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
    - 3/4 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
    - 1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup
    - 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract

About 380 calories.
    Feel free to substitute the maple syrup for a packet of stevia to reduce calories.
    Tastes GREAT with unsweetened almond/coconut milk.

I finally tried this and it was kind of on the bitter side to me. Do you think reducing the cocoa powder to 1 tb would help? I also used stevia instead of maple syrup.

I myself find stevia to have a slightly bitter taste, so I don't know if increasing the stevia would really help. I've used 2tbsp and 3tbsp of cocoa powder without a noticeable difference in taste or bitterness, so I don't really feel the cocoa makes the recipe bitter (for full disclosure, I'm also a dark chocolate kind of gal).

I'd recommend using either the unsweetened coconut/almond milk (the brand I buy is 40 calories instead of 30 for regular unsweetened almond milk and made the oats significantly sweeter than the almond milk) or using a tbsp of maple syrup instead of the stevia.

Let me know the results if you try it again!
  • CeciliaBobilia
    CeciliaBobilia Posts: 246 Member
    Options

Holy guacamole, those recipes look yummy!
  • lauraroseshank
    lauraroseshank Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does anyone use steel cut oats? I'm trying to get the right ratios because mine have been in the fridge 2 days and still taste... Crunchy lol.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Options
    Does anyone use steel cut oats? I'm trying to get the right ratios because mine have been in the fridge 2 days and still taste... Crunchy lol.

I'm not sure steel cut would ever get the right texture for overnight oats.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    No. I don't believe steel cut works.

But even more delicious is steel cut cooked in an Instantpot. I love these oats but they are even tastier and easier to prepare in this pressure cooker. They are great hot, but I like them better cold from the refrigerator.
  • mic1018
    mic1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love overnight oats! Here are a few I have made..
    Base recipe - 1/2 cup steel cut oats, 1/2 cup skim milk, 1 Tbs flax seed...then I add the following:

Peach Cobbler - 1/2 med peach, chopped small, 1 Tbs brown sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract
    Apple Pie - 1/2 med apple, chopped small, 1 Tbs brown sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract
    Pear Crisp - 1/2 med pear, chopped small, 1 Tbs brown sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract
    Cranberry Coconut - 2 Tbs unsweetened coconut, 2 Tbs dried cranberries

To be honest, I eat these for lunch sometimes because they are quite filling and taste yummy! If you use the steel cut oats like I do, you will get a wonderful chewy, nutty texture and flavor.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Lynzdee18 wrote: »
    No. I don't believe steel cut works.

But even more delicious is steel cut cooked in an Instantpot. I love these oats but they are even tastier and easier to prepare in this pressure cooker. They are great hot, but I like them better cold from the refrigerator.

I'll have to try this with my old trusty jiggle-top pressure cooker: make up a batch as a prep for several days, then refrigerate until needed. I presently overnight-soak my steel cuts oats, and yes, they're still a bit chewy.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    My recipe:
    1 cup soy or almond milk
    2 cups of water
    Pinch salt
    1 cup steel cut oats.
    Mix. I do high pressure, for 3 minutes. Natural release for about 10. Then release slowly. Stir and if it’s not to my liking, close lid and let sit for a few minutes.
    Then you can add cinnamon, raisins, etc. Or you can add a cinnamon stick and or piece of vanilla bean when before you cook....
    I prefer it cold with a tiny bit of dark brown sugar.

You cannot use cow milk. It scorches. I usually double this for my 8 quart Instantpot.
  • 1SewinSusan
    1SewinSusan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My go to:
    1/2 cup oats
    Chopped walnuts
    1/2 cup fresh blueberries
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1/4 cup SF syrup
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I add half a cup of plain fat free yogurt, 1/4 cup skim milk, 2 teaspoons tahini paste, and half an ounce of dried cherries to 1/3 cup old fashioned oats. Then I sprinkle a little salt on top. Next morning I add a spoon. In the Fall, I stir in 1/4 cup canned pumpkin. You can add cinnamon, but I really like it without strong spice.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    rucks27 wrote: »
    I'm going to follow this...I haven't gotten on the overnight oats train het because of pure laziness!

Me neither, and it seems a bit overrated.