Confusion on calories in shrimp

Options
I bought a bag of frozen jumbo shrimp at Walmart. The bag says 6 shrimp= 4 ounces = 140 calories.
When I look on the MFP database that is waaay more than what any other resource says for shrimp/oz.

How do you know what is correct? Do you just assume that what is on the package you purchased is correct? Or the USDA?

A lot of times when I run into this, the difference is pretty small, but for shrimp...it is a huge difference.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Most MFP entries are user-entered so they need to be double-checked by comparing them to the package or USDA. Always go with what the package or USDA says.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,106 Member
    Options
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    You should follow the nutritional facts listed on the package. I use the USDA database mostly for fruits and vegetables or anything that doesn't have nutritional facts on the package.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    KeysKat wrote: »
    I bought a bag of frozen jumbo shrimp at Walmart. The bag says 6 shrimp= 4 ounces = 140 calories.
    When I look on the MFP database that is waaay more than what any other resource says for shrimp/oz.

How do you know what is correct? Do you just assume that what is on the package you purchased is correct? Or the USDA?

A lot of times when I run into this, the difference is pretty small, but for shrimp...it is a huge difference.

First, go with the package info. After the shrimp thaw, weigh 6 of them and see if they weigh 4 oz. Then eat that many after it's cooked.

Also - Were your shrimp raw or cooked? (Like shrimp cocktail ready?)

The raw weight of food tends to be less than the same weight of cooked food. So if your shrimp were raw, then 4 oz. of cooked shrimp were likely to be higher than 4 oz. of cooked shrimp. Along with including usda in your search you should also look for an indicator of raw or cooked.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Go with the package.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I promise you no company ever has put way more calories thn was true on their packaging. They dont want high high calories in this diet age....Why wouldnt you listen to the package -Atleast not for higher calories...i often find they under estimate their portions in packaged food...never over
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    KeysKat wrote: »

go by the packaging if at all possible

weigh out 4oz of shrimp (it could be 6 or less/more) - eat shrimp - calorie wise 4oz shrimp is about 23g protein/1g fat - approx. 101 cal (but if there are any additional seasonings etc that could change the calorie count)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    I promise you no company ever has put way more calories thn was true on their packaging. They dont want high high calories in this diet age....Why wouldnt you listen to the package -Atleast not for higher calories...i often find they under estimate their portions in packaged food...never over

huh...packing can be up to 20% deviation in serving size - so packaging could easily be wrong - those 6 shrimp could be 3oz, 4oz or 5oz - that is why weighing is sooo important

The number of shrimp per serving size could be high or low, but I tend to agree that they are unlikely to have overestimated the calories in the serving size. I would weight out the serving and use the calories on the packaging.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

huh...packing can be up to 20% deviation in serving size - so packaging could easily be wrong - those 6 shrimp could be 3oz, 4oz or 5oz - that is why weighing is sooo important

yes but the OP says the website says the calories are way lower...the company isnt simply being like HAH lets just put the calories as double! Packaging is right. I never said anything about not weighing to get the right weight, OP asked which to listen to for what calories are right not what serving size.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Weigh the peeled shrimp. Then look up the calories per gram/ounce. Shrimp can vary in size and density. Enter your own numbers and note it for future reference.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,106 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    HarlemNY17 wrote: »
    HarlemNY17 wrote: »
    Because it's a Processed food

See, that's where you went wrong, OP, you should have stuck your face directly in a rock pool, caught them with your teeth and eaten them alive and wriggling. No pesky confusing packaging that way.

Actually you should do you're research on why processed foods are high in calories and sodium . They don't just take shrimp throw them in the bag and put them in freezers.

So nearly all meat that is frozen is frozen with brine, which is salt water.

I have never heard of adding calories though. That would be something other than brine.