Feeling frustrated with my family

Options
I live with my dad and am in training for a job. I won't get my first check till the first of next month. I'm trying to eat healthier while counting calories, though I still eat stuff like sugar and rice or bread or junk in moderation. I currently depend on my parents for food and appreciate their help, but the healthiest things available to me to eat in this house are four things - fruit, oatmeal, eggs and fish, and even the last two aren't always available. There's been no fish for days. But I'm ok with that and just make do with what is in the house. What is starting to frustrate me is that we're a fat family, with my parents being morbidly obese and me being in the 180s now (was 240), and my parents eat nothing but takeout, fried foods, and sugar, butter and cheese laden simple carbs, but my dad has a problem with the way I eat. He says he plans to change his diet and cut out the "bad" foods and buy a bunch of nutritious stuff, but hasn't chosen to start yet. But meanwhile, I'm hearing from him that the way I eat isn't healthy. He sometimes feels the need to remind me that the one serving of plain rice with no butter or oil that I put with my fish or eggs isn't healthy (I'm aware of that, but I don't have that many food options) and also insists that oatmeal and eggs are unhealthy, too. He even told me yesterday that NOTHING I eat is healthy, but when I asked him to explain, he just kept insisting nothing I eat is healthy and then asked me what I ate today when I asked him to explain again. I told him i eat the healthy stuff that's available here, and he's like, "Oh. Well, eggs and oatmeal aren't healthy. Neither is rice." I don't get that. If he's worried about health and wants to make a change, why is everything in the house, besides the eggs and oatmeal and fish and fruit, fried stuff and sugar, buttery stuff? Would he rather I eat what he eats than eat what Im eating now? And if hes worried, why does he offer me sugar and butter laden hot cereal, French toast, fried chicken or fish, pizza and tea thats syrupy with sugar all the time, even though I almost always say no? It's just frustrating. Am I wrong to feel frustrated?

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I say just do your time while you are there. Continue to be thankful of his assistance. Maintain eating what you believe is right with what you have available. When dad is telling you his opinion just nod and say thank you. Once you are out on your own you can decide what foods you buy and put in your body. Unfortunately you will have people telling you that some of what you have listed like Eggs, Oatmeal and Rice are healthy options. I am thinking that maybe you need to some research on healthy options and portions. Maybe if you happen to print it and leave it somewhere that dad can read he may lay off a little.
  • imanibelle
    imanibelle Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I say just do your time while you are there. Continue to be thankful of his assistance. Maintain eating what you believe is right with what you have available. When dad is telling you his opinion just nod and say thank you. Once you are out on your own you can decide what foods you buy and put in your body. Unfortunately you will have people telling you that some of what you have listed like Eggs, Oatmeal and Rice are healthy options. I am thinking that maybe you need to some research on healthy options and portions. Maybe if you happen to print it and leave it somewhere that dad can read he may lay off a little.

I have done research. Now please explain why eggs and oatmeal are bad for you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    imanibelle wrote: »
    I hope this does not turn into a thread about whether or not it's ok to eat pizza. No offense, but this is not what I asked about. I know it's ok to eat pizza in moderation, but I'm frustrated with being offered pizza and fried,chicken, but being told it's unhealthy to eat eggs or oatmeal. I guess it's just a vent.

I understand your frustration. I imagine it would be extremely difficult if not impossible to get your father to change his mind and I personally wouldn't even bother.

Does your mom do the shopping? Can you go with her? If you request items, will she get them?
  • Joanna2012B
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I think she made a typo and meant to agree with you that your food choices are healthy and you could print out something to this effect for your father to read.

Thank you @kshama2001, yes typo!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I think she made a typo and meant to agree with you that your food choices are healthy and you could print out something to this effect for your father to read.

Thank you @kshama2001, yes typo!

@Joanna2012B I think you still have time to edit it :)
  • Joanna2012B
    Options
    Actually to be exact, I mis-read what she had said. I thought she was agreeing that those choices were unhealthy.
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I hope this does not turn into a thread about whether or not it's ok to eat pizza. No offense, but this is not what I asked about. I know it's ok to eat pizza in moderation, but I'm frustrated with being offered pizza and fried,chicken, but being told it's unhealthy to eat eggs or oatmeal. I guess it's just a vent.

The only non-rhetorical question I saw in your thread was whether it's okay to feel frustrated. And yes, that's okay.