I no longer have anything to motivate me, but I haven't reached my goal weight.

Options

Replies

• Turning_Hopes_to_Habits
    Options
    I did a healthy wage challenge a few years ago. I had six months to get to my goal weight. If I lost the bet, I'd forfeit the money I put up at the beginning. But I made my goal to lose 30 pounds in 6 months and won. I can't remember if I put up $250 or $500, but I do remember I got back $1000. That's a lot to put down to begin with, but it's a hell of a rate of return and if money is your motivator, it's an idea.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Are you happy with where you're currently at? Why do you say another 20 Lbs...what's the reason behind that other than some arbitrary number? I personally don't believe in having some random/arbitrary number as a goal...I never did...I just lost weight until I was happy with where I was.

Would it be nice to look like an underwear model? Sure...am I willing to put in the kind of effort that is necessary from a dietary and exercise standpoint to get there...*kitten* no...
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    So maybe you're just done losing weight? How did you chose your goal weight? It sounds like you've lost the weight you want to lose and you're happy with what you've achieved.

Why not switch to maintenance for a while? You'll need to eat at maintenance eventually anyway so view it as practise. A break may reignite your desire to keep going (which is what happens when I take a diet break) or you may just be done.

I'm on the fence about whether or not I'm happy at this point. Technically I'm still slightly overweight... I'm right on the cusp between normal and overweight. I'm shooting for another 20 lbs because that's what I weighed several years ago. It's a weight that is still within normal/healthy weight and one that I've reached in the past. I'm kind of disappointed in myself right now because not too long ago I had this intrinsic motivation to keep going... and I think it was because I was motivated by this idea of what I imagined I would look like and how different my life would be. Now, after evaluating some things, I am fairly certain that I was living on delusional thoughts and it was at that point that I started to lose steam.
  • PrincessTinyheart
    Options
    So, my question is, what caused you to pick your goal weight in the first place? Was there some specific reason you wanted to be that weight? If you have the level of fitness you were trying for and you look the way you were trying to look, is it possible the reason you aren't motivated is because you're done.

I picked that weight because I've been that weight in the past and it's well within the normal range. I don't like to think that I'm done at this point, but I'm stuck in this mindset where I can't get myself to move forward... I am really not sure why. That's what I'm struggling with at this point.

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Wow. This post is like looking straight into my own head. I wish I had a solution for you, because I'm stuck in the same rut. I still have 70 pounds to lose, but I can shop in regular stores now and am more fit than I've been since my teens. Other than being obese my health is fine. I know shooting for a healthy weight should be my motivation, but it is not inspiring me. I've basically been maintaining or losing and gaining the same ten pounds since March.

Fitness goals are lousy for weight loss. They are too easy to attain with excess weight, because they are not size related. I do have a goal of looking good in clothes from Bebe, one of the few stores I am still too big for, but it's not enough to inspire me to lose.

I wish I had an answer for you, but all I have is empathy for your situation.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So, my question is, what caused you to pick your goal weight in the first place? Was there some specific reason you wanted to be that weight? If you have the level of fitness you were trying for and you look the way you were trying to look, is it possible the reason you aren't motivated is because you're done.

I picked that weight because I've been that weight in the past and it's well within the normal range. I don't like to think that I'm done at this point, but I'm stuck in this mindset where I can't get myself to move forward... I am really not sure why. That's what I'm struggling with at this point.

So have a few weeks or months at maintenance...?
  • PrincessTinyheart
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Wow. This post is like looking straight into my own head. I wish I had a solution for you, because I'm stuck in the same rut. I still have 70 pounds to lose, but I can shop in regular stores now and am more fit than I've been since my teens. Other than being obese my health is fine. I know shooting for a healthy weight should be my motivation, but it is not inspiring me. I've basically been maintaining or losing and gaining the same ten pounds since March.

Fitness goals are lousy for weight loss. They are too easy to attain with excess weight, because they are not size related. I do have a goal of looking good in clothes from Bebe, one of the few stores I am still too big for, but it's not enough to inspire me to lose.

I wish I had an answer for you, but all I have is empathy for your situation.

I'm glad I'm not the only one... and I almost feel like something of a failure because I see all of these other people that are all like "Get out and climb something! Build that six pack! Make a chart of goals and hit ALL. OF. THE. GOALS. Kill it kill it kill it!!", and that just makes me want to crawl into the fetal position, LOL. I feel like there's something lacking in me because I am not this fierce grrl taking selfies in the mirror and posting to Instragram :( But I still want some kind of inspiration to help me go further...

• MLHC1
    MLHC1 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, very interesting thread here.

My first thought is, you cannot live in the past!! You are a new version of yourself as you are today! You need to look into yourself now and determine what you want for the future and let go of the past.

Just to share....I'm not a "selfie, social media" person either. I work out for myself! My husband and children love me just the way I am. I desire to lose weight because I feel better, my emotions are better and my overall confidence is better. I want to be healthy for ME!

It sounds like you may have something beyond fitness unmotivating you. Just remember we have one life to live and only the opportunities we choose to take to advance our lives!

Hang in there, maybe inspire yourself by taking a weekend retreat to pamper yourself for who you are :D Good Luck!!
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I'm 20 lbs down and have 17 to go but I don't have any goals that excite me. I'm not super athletic. I don't do sports so there's this feeling of "what's the point" that is pervading my thoughts lately.

I don't have any advice unfortunately, only sympathy.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Are you where you want to be? If not, that's your motivation.

Do it for everyone that doubted you, prove them wrong.

We all have periods of 'I just don't want to anymore', that's called being human, and that's okay. Instead of purly calorie watching, incorporate a sport, take up a physical activity. That activity alone will bump up your daily recommendation so you don't have to be as meticulous and you'll have fun.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    social media posts aren't reality...

:noway:
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    social media posts aren't reality...

Fancy filters and Photoshop
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I started taking ballet lessons - yes, as an adult who had never done a pirouette in my life I starting taking ballet. And it required SO much flexibility and endurance and strength, so I started working on my fitness at home so I could be better in class. It turns out I needed something that you need to be fit to do, but didn't outwardly seem like a fitness goal.

Maybe that would work for you?
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Then your goal should be a lifestyle change, not a reward system. You have nothing gratifying your pleasure sensors. Or, if you are satisfied with your health and body, just do maintenance. You don't have to be a stick to feel perfect.